Final Fantasy VII - Cane and Rinse 350

Archive for issues 301 - 350
JaySevenZero
Admin

Final Fantasy VII - Cane and Rinse 350

Post by JaySevenZero » January 1st, 2019, 8:31 am

“There ain’t no gettin’ offa this train we’re on, till we get to the end of the line.”

Appropriately – for the earth-shattering conclusion to our seventh year – we celebrate the coming of age of Square’s Final Fantasy VII. A little over twenty-one years on from its release, Leon, Josh, Leah and Thomas, along with a treasure chest of messages from the Lifestream, come together to express just why this instalment is held so dear by so many, while also acknowledging the game’s infamous quirks and shortcomings.

Music used in this issue:

1. World Map Theme by Nobuo Uematsu
2. Those Who Fight / Let the Battles Begin by Nobuo Uematsu

Cane and Rinse 350 was edited by Sean O'Brien.

Each issue of The Cane and Rinse podcast is available a week early through our Patreon for just $1 a month

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

KSubzero1000

Re: Final Fantasy VII - Cane and Rinse 350

Post by KSubzero1000 » January 1st, 2019, 10:31 am

Good show, very passionate contributions all around. All the enthusiasm made me want to give the game a second chance!

PS: The embedded file on the website is that of RE7.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » January 2nd, 2019, 1:05 pm

Finally managed to finish the extended episode, what a belter! Always nice in a way to have your feelings on a game affirmed by the podcast crew, and I'm pleased the general consensus was positive. Its such an important and loved game to me, I'd have hated to listen to three hours of putting it down! Good work, all!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » January 2nd, 2019, 4:24 pm

I'm just gonna leave this here. It's fucking epic!

Sounds like Dream Theater or something. What a tune!

Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter » January 2nd, 2019, 6:46 pm

Yeah, I can acknowledge that it has aged, but it still has the same power over me.
Alex79uk wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 1:05 pm
Finally managed to finish the extended episode, what a belter! Always nice in a way to have your feelings on a game affirmed by the podcast crew, and I'm pleased the general consensus was positive. Its such an important and loved game to me, I'd have hated to listen to three hours of putting it down! Good work, all!

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » January 3rd, 2019, 10:22 am

Really enjoyed the show everyone. I never posted in the build up to the show as it would be impossible to put down how much this game means to me without it being about 10,000 rambling words. You did it justice :)

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » January 3rd, 2019, 5:51 pm

Bought Advent Children on my 39th birthday last week confirming that I am still 16 at heart. My favourite scene is the Bahamut fight with the boosting in :P :lol:

KissMammal

Post by KissMammal » January 3rd, 2019, 6:42 pm

That was awesome work, guys. Really enjoyed listening as I prepped the roast potatoes and parsnips on Christmas Eve.

Especially enjoyed the input from the new(?) guy, sorry don't have your name to hand.

Very much looking forward to the Switch port so I can finally revisit the game - it's insane how vividly I remember it even after twenty years.

Also completely agree about the extended lore adding nothing to the game.

It's such a shame that the 'remake' that is intermittently threatened seems (imo) to be completely missing the point, when I'm pretty sure that all the majority of people actually want from a remake is the exact same game but in HD & widescreen with overhauled graphics and music, some QOL improvements (skippable summons etc), tying up some of the dropped quests/loose ends, a more competent translation and perhaps optional voice acting.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » January 3rd, 2019, 8:14 pm

Thomas? Not exactly new - he was on the Grim Fandango podcast previously and he's hosted a couple of Sound of Play Extra shows too.

Sage + Onion Knight

Post by Sage + Onion Knight » January 3rd, 2019, 9:19 pm

I'll be honest, I'd been looking forward to this podcast almost as much as Christmas. It was great to see my feelings about FF7 echoed throughout the podcast (on the role of nostalgia, on how downright weird it is, etc.). I wish 'FF' would veer a bit closer to the inventive weirdness of the PlayStation 1 era (though, in fairness, I haven't played a mainline FF since 10).

I forgot to mention it in my forum post, but I'm obsessed with this really interesting Kotaku series, observing the translation of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZefYEaNUJ7w

As well as being a really good way of re-experiencing (and learning more about the game), it's really funny and contains an anecdote about Yellow Magic Orchestra at one point.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » January 3rd, 2019, 9:21 pm

We mention that series in the show too (at least in the extended 3 hour 15 minute Patreon cut).

Sage + Onion Knight

Post by Sage + Onion Knight » January 3rd, 2019, 9:34 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 9:21 pm
We mention that series in the show too (at least in the extended 3 hour 15 minute Patreon cut).
Curse my frugality! (though I do plan on subscribing in the new year, now that I am an employed man)

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » January 3rd, 2019, 9:43 pm

😊

KissMammal

Post by KissMammal » January 4th, 2019, 6:26 pm

The Found in Translation series really is amazing, and kind of eye-opening.

Downside is that it makes you really wish there was a better translated version of the game available, as clearly so much of the subtlety and subtext, and even things like foreshadowing, of the original script was lost.

Sage + Onion Knight

Post by Sage + Onion Knight » January 4th, 2019, 8:12 pm

KissMammal wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 6:26 pm
The Found in Translation series really is amazing, and kind of eye-opening.

Downside is that it makes you really wish there was a better translated version of the game available, as clearly so much of the subtlety and subtext, and even things like foreshadowing, of the original script was lost.
The fact that Aeris is an almost totally different and more interesting character is incredible

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » January 4th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Just watched the first one, very interesting!

TheEmailer

Post by TheEmailer » January 9th, 2019, 7:07 am

This was a great show. I've never had the passion or nostalgia for this game that others do (oddly I really liked crisis core). But the reasons for others' passion came accross clearly and its nice to share in that.

Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite » January 9th, 2019, 2:29 pm

Yeah, this was excellent; The three hours flew by, and never felt rambling or confusing. And as someone who has just replayed the Cosmo Canyon segment, Thomas is dead on about the themes of the game still resonating in these COP24 times. We'll have to disagree on the climbing from the Sector 7 slums however, which is one of my favourite bits in the entire game :-P