Special No.4: Xbox

Here's where you can submit your contributions for our new series focusing on the consoles themselves.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Special No.4: Xbox

Post by JaySevenZero » May 29th, 2018, 6:47 am

As some of you may have already heard, we're creating a series of podcast specials, this time the focus being on the consoles themselves.

The plan is for the podcast to encompass the history of the chosen system from launch through its evolution, mixed with the panels personal perspective of their time spent with it. There will also be discussion of some of the stand-out titles for the system.

As with the regular Cane and Rinse podcast, we'd like to include contributions from you, our community, too. So we've created this sub forum and threads so you can leave us your most memorable moments spent with the systems we're covering.

Our fourth show is covering Microsoft's original XBox.

All being well, we'll be recording this March 2019. So If you have something to say about this system this is where you should leave it.

As with the others, this will be also a timed exclusive for our Patreon, with each special being released on our regular feed only once the next one is published, so if ever there was a time to give us just 75p a month, this could be it! :)

KSubzero1000

Re: Special No.4: Xbox

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 30th, 2018, 12:30 am

Honestly, when I think of the original Xbox, I think of friendship. Youthful, generous, carefree friendship.

I grew up in a TV-free household due to various factors, and even though I was already an avid handheld player by the turn of the millennium, my first proper introduction to home console gaming was through frequent Halo local multiplayer matches with the same tight-knit group of teenage friends. I had recently moved to a different city (and country!) at the time, and was very happy to have found people with whom to bond and discover a new hobby with. An inordinate amount of our collective free time in 2002-2005 was spent huddled around this gargantuan plastic cuboid, boasting about imaginary girlfriends, memorizing every square centimeter (sorry, "inch") of every map and every weapon's respawn timer, loudly announcing we were going to pull an "all-nighter" that ended in everybody being fast asleep at 01:15, trying to come up with the most balanced team composition without hurting the low-skilled dude's feelings too much, drinking from the same budget ice tea Tetra Pak like a bunch of feral piglets, boldly declaring the use of the sniper rifle to be "cheating", prattling on about whose neighbor totally got stabbed with a bread knife the day before, willfully accusing each other of "BILDSCHIRMGUCKEN!!" (screen-watching), and inevitably flying out of the apartment en masse once the ritualistic shoving and bellowing had become too audibly disruptive for the poor parents to ignore. Only to then load the entire equipment onto our busted up bicycles, ferry it over to a different friend's house and restart the entire process from the beginning like the single-minded little savages we were.

Gaming felt much more niche back then, especially due to household-wide broadband internet access still sounding like a futuristic pipe dream. I can clearly recall our sheer excitement on the day Halo 2 came out: The opening cutscene was an eye-opener and the simple act of trying out the new weapons and maps felt like a proper event (Lockout still reigns supreme in the Hall of Fame of multiplayer FPS maps for my money). Needless to say, months of unadulterated fun were right around the corner.

I never ended up buying one of those for myself, however. My handful of favorite titles in its lineup (Halo, Fable, Ninja Gaiden) all run perfectly well on my Xbox 360. But I still feel like I've profited a great deal from this brave little machine's existence, even indirectly. As life went on and people grew older, friends drifted apart, but the memories will probably stay with me for years to come.

Simpler times...

xbenblasterx

Post by xbenblasterx » June 4th, 2018, 9:58 am

I got my xbox at the age of 11, i had gathered together all my PS2 games, console, contollers the lot. All beacuse i needed that one game, that game was Halo. When everything was tallied up my PS2 and games was enough to get me the xbox, two controllers and of course a copy of Halo. That was all i needed.

What followed was countless hours of Halo multiplayer with my friends, and then with the arrival of Halo 2 countless hours of online multplayer. There were of course quite a number of fantastic singleplayer games Kotor, Fable to name a few. But for me playing Halo 2 with people all across the world was simply magic.

Although the xbox is not quite so highly regarded as the other console of the era, but my word i loved my xbox to bits.

Cheers guys, can't wait to hear the full episode!

Nupraptor

Post by Nupraptor » June 4th, 2018, 8:55 pm

These console specials are a really interesting idea. I've been surprised by how nostalgic it has made me feel for the megadrive and the PlayStation. I'm probably not going to make myself popular here,but for whatever reason, I don't have the same level of affection for the X Box.
I think that other consoles have become linked in my mind with particular times of my life and the x box just hasn't had the same impact for me.
With the original x box, I had already bought the other major console of that generation - N Gage....just kidding 😉 - and when I picked up the x box it was when I finally caved in to the lure of being able to play the superb and epic experience of Halo. I guess that means that the x box didn't feel like it had much of a personality in itself beyond being a purchase that I felt forced to make in order to play a single specific - although admittedly sublime - videogame.
The machine itself seemed big and blocky and ugly - a step back maybe from the more sophisticated-seeming PS2 or the cute and quirky GameCube. Games seemed to have been becoming more mature and inclusive over previous years and the x box in some ways seemed to embody a degree of regression and is associated in my mind with the image of an angry teenage gamer swearing at "noobs" through a headset.
Still, there were some great games. Not just Halo, but the excellent and demanding Ninja Gaiden and the early Bioware games like Jade Empire and what, to this day remains the greatest Star Wars game of all time - Knights of the Old Republic.