Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can confab about all the other stuff besides videogames.
duskvstweak

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by duskvstweak » February 2nd, 2019, 7:08 pm

ThirdMan wrote:
February 1st, 2019, 9:36 am

X-Men: Days of Future Past
- A pleasant surprise. Definitely one of the better X films. It's a shame that the franchise has had to suffer so many average adaptations because the underlying themes of discrimination and individual expression are amongst Marvel's best.
I'm not looking to fight about this, but I'd say that only Last Stand, X-Men Origins, and Apocalypse are bad (and I tend to enjoy Apocalypse, despite itself). Out of 9 films (11 if you want to bring Deadpool into the mix), that's a pretty decent hit rate. To each their own, though.
ThirdMan wrote:

Batman - How has it taken me until 2018 to watch this, the original big budget Bat flick? Nicholson's Joker is, for me, the definitive live-action portrayal (Mark Hamill's is still the finest across the entire franchise). Ledger's was a superb, contemporary villain, but Nicholson and Burton draw long and deep from the source material.
This does blow my mind. Do you still need to watch the three that followed?

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » February 3rd, 2019, 8:08 am

Bohemian Rhapsody does not appeal to me at all, and not just because of the whole Byran Singer connection... ugh. There are a few decent Queen documentaries floating around out there, and I think the one I saw a while ago was Queen: Days of Our Lives... but I could be wrong...

One movie I did watch recently was The Green Inferno, and it is very much an Eli Roth movie, more for worse than better. One of my first thoughts was that it's a pretty ugly looking movie, in that it has a very flat made-for-TV look to it, and not cinematic at all. Considering it's not in the sub-genre of found-footage, there was little reason for it to look the way it did.

Roth's inspiration in very much Cannibal Holocaust, a DVD I still have in my collection (because I bought it when I was young and hungry for the weird and wonderful fringes), and for all the issues I have with Cannibal Holocaust, at least it has the courage of it's demented and misguided convictions. It doesn't want your friendship, and it doesn't care if you like it. The Green Inferno does more often than not pulls it's punches, or goes very frat-boy humour, and apart from one pretty decent "centre-piece" is fairly standard stuff.

So, if you want to watch something that goes "all-the-way", something that'll stick in your psyche forever, go for Cannibal Holocaust. If you want a pale imitation of a movie than aimed to truely provoke and disturb, go for The Green Inferno, It has less calories and flavour, and is powerfully mediocre!

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » February 3rd, 2019, 10:59 pm

duskvstweak wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 7:08 pm
ThirdMan wrote:

X-Men: Days of Future Past
- A pleasant surprise. Definitely one of the better X films. It's a shame that the franchise has had to suffer so many average adaptations because the underlying themes of discrimination and individual expression are amongst Marvel's best.
I'm not looking to fight about this, but I'd say that only Last Stand, X-Men Origins, and Apocalypse are bad (and I tend to enjoy Apocalypse, despite itself). Out of 9 films (11 if you want to bring Deadpool into the mix), that's a pretty decent hit rate. To each their own, though.
ThirdMan wrote:

Batman - How has it taken me until 2018 to watch this, the original big budget Bat flick? Nicholson's Joker is, for me, the definitive live-action portrayal (Mark Hamill's is still the finest across the entire franchise). Ledger's was a superb, contemporary villain, but Nicholson and Burton draw long and deep from the source material.
I didn't say bad, I said average. I was never a lover of the series, even the first two. I rewatched them last year and thought they were quite dull.

For me, First Class and Days of Future Past are better entries and Logan is my favouite superhero movie full stop.

In relation to Batman, I always thought I'd watched it when I was a kid. But after about 20 minutes I realised I hadn't. Batman & Robin is now the only one on my Dark Knight bucket list.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » February 4th, 2019, 6:14 am

ThirdMan wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 10:59 pm
Batman & Robin is now the only one on my Dark Knight bucket list.
Aren’t bucket lists supposed to be for good things ;)

It’s incredibly campy and as long as you go in with the lowest of expectations it’s a bit of fun.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » February 4th, 2019, 10:23 am

Simonsloth wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 6:14 am
ThirdMan wrote:

It’s incredibly campy and as long as you go in with the lowest of expectations it’s a bit of fun.
Worth it purely for Arnie's one liners and Uma only

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » February 4th, 2019, 9:25 pm

Simonsloth wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 6:14 am
ThirdMan wrote:

Ha, fair point! Although Arnie movies, even the bad ones, have a special place in my heart. Maybe Mr Freeze deserves a place on my list!

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » February 5th, 2019, 10:52 pm

So if you fancy a schmaltzy US tv show then I would highly recommend This Is Us.

The first 2 seasons are on Amazon Prime. Probably one of the best pilots I have ever seen, I was invested in the characters by the end of it and binge watched

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » February 9th, 2019, 2:01 pm

Today, I watched The Red Turtle, an excellent dialogue-free French-Dutch-Studio Ghibli animated film about a man being shipwrecked on a deserted(?) island, together with an old childhood friend at my side and his cat sleeping on my lap.

I could think of worse ways to pass the time.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » February 9th, 2019, 6:34 pm

duskvstweak wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 7:08 pm
ThirdMan wrote:
ONE that followed.

One.

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » February 10th, 2019, 9:07 pm

I've been watching a whole lot of stupid lately, and I'm cut it down to one post:

The Good - XXX: Return of Xander Cage: This is how you do dumb right. For all of it's 1 hour and 47 minute run time it never slows down and it's never boring. Sure, it's incredibly stupid, but I was never bored. If you like big dumb movies, watch this one.

The Bad - Rampage: Strangely, also run's 1 hour and 47 minutes, but very dull. My expectations were right where they needed to be before going into this, i.e. low, and it never really got above that. It does have a very over-qualified cast, and Dwayne Johnson is also welcome onscreen, but I wanted this movie to go all out and be dumb.

The Ugly - Polar: Christ... if anyone is familiar with the deluge of bad straight to VHS/DVD movies that came out in the 90's, heavily inspired by Tarantino, minus the talent/vision/cohesion, imagine that... but released in 2019. This run's just shy of 2 hours, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. It has a whole lot of attitude, dude, and trying so very, very hard, and falling so very, very flat. Dull.

Conclusion: Stupid is fine, boring is not.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » February 11th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Finally picking up tv series again and s3 of better call saul is great.

It's not a spin off of BB in my mind. Its an essential prologue.

hamster_with_9lives

Post by hamster_with_9lives » February 13th, 2019, 7:43 am

JaySevenZero wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 9:51 am
hamster_with_9lives wrote:
January 31st, 2019, 11:53 am
I am waiting for Alita: Battle Angel. Really want it to appear in cinemas even sooner than possible.
Me too! Been an avid reader since the English language version first appeared and still have the first dozen monthly comics that were released by Viz media back in the day, along with every single collected volume right through to the latest Mars Chronicles volumes.

Given that this has been a passion project for Cameron since the late 90's, I'm kinda hopeful they've done it justice and based on the previews and trailers it seems they nailed so much of it with Polygon saying it's the best manga adaptation to date (although there's not much in the way of competition).
I am going to watch it tomorrow and my friends who've already done that say it's fantastic. They haven't read the manga and that gives me huge hope and makes me feel nervous at the same time. The only thing - they recommend visiting 3D sessions only.

JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero » February 15th, 2019, 1:52 pm

I watched Alita last night and really quite enjoyed it. It makes a few changes with its story compared to that of the manga but overall sticks very closely to the source material.

I wasn't sure whether someone unfamiliar with the material would enjoy it as much but seeing that it currently sits with a 93% approval on Rotten Tomatoes it appears those who endeavour have enjoyed the experience.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » February 16th, 2019, 4:29 am

JaySevenZero wrote:
February 15th, 2019, 1:52 pm
I watched Alita last night and really quite enjoyed it. It makes a few changes with its story compared to that of the manga but overall sticks very closely to the source material.

I wasn't sure whether someone unfamiliar with the material would enjoy it as much but seeing that it currently sits with a 93% approval on Rotten Tomatoes it appears those who endeavour have enjoyed the experience.
I've never read the manga or anything and I did enjoy the movie! I thought it was cool and that it felt like a real, live action anime. I had a good time.

JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero » February 16th, 2019, 11:55 am

Excellent!

cake_bakery

Post by cake_bakery » February 18th, 2019, 10:19 am

Did somebody watch The Magicians from Netflix here? My friends say it is cool but contains some disgusting things. Should I watch it if I'm too sensitive?

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » February 18th, 2019, 12:14 pm

I've been meaning to watch Trailer Park Boys for years and watched the first episode on my lunch break today. Seemed OK, will stick with it.

Also, been watching Cowboy Bebop, another series I've been meaning to get in to forever. Three episodes in and enjoying it so far.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » February 18th, 2019, 10:41 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
February 18th, 2019, 12:14 pm
Also, been watching Cowboy Bebop, another series I've been meaning to get in to forever. Three episodes in and enjoying it so far.
Cowboy Bebop is rare in that many anime fans recommend the English dub instead of the original Japanese. You don't get that too often.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » February 18th, 2019, 10:45 pm

dezm0nd wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 5:21 pm
Finally picking up tv series again and s3 of better call saul is great.

It's not a spin off of BB in my mind. Its an essential prologue.
It's really quite remarkable that they've pulled it off so successfully. When it was first announced I winced at the thought of how bad it could end up being. I couldn't have been more wrong.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » February 18th, 2019, 10:47 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 2:01 pm
Today, I watched The Red Turtle, an excellent dialogue-free French-Dutch-Studio Ghibli animated film about a man being shipwrecked on a deserted(?) island, together with an old childhood friend at my side and his cat sleeping on my lap.

I could think of worse ways to pass the time.
One of my favourites from recent years. A timely reminder of how truly universal cinema was when it was silent/dialogue free.