Comic Book Chatter

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

Re: Comic Book Chatter

Post by Alex79 »

Anyone heard of AxeCop?

It's a comic strip written by a five year old, drawn by his 29 year old brother, and is amazing!

http://axecop.com

You can read them all on there, but the books are available to. It's the perfect antidote to modern life.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: December 19th, 2018, 8:49 pm Well, enjoying the story, hating Azreal as Batman. I don't think you're supposed to like him, though. I can't imagine reading this story as it was released month by month back in the day. It went on for over a year, and that's a long time to have a really shitty Batman!
Yeah, from what I've read, the idea was that people kept wanting Batman to get hardcore like all of the 90s Image comics, so the writers basically gave those fans what they wanted with the intent to show them how BAD of an idea it was.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Was in town today, and for no reason in particular entered The Works (you know it, that bizarre hybrid shop that sells books that nobody will ever really read but look like bargains on the shelf, along with various other tat). Well, I'm glad I did! They had a really quite sizable graphic novel section which I'm sure must be new as I've never seen one in there before! All the books were cheap as chips - deluxe edition hardback of The Killing Joke, £6 (yes its the same price on Amazon, but a hell of a lot cheaper than high street prices), they had absolutely loads of titles. New stuff too, from DC Rebirth, the New 52, loads of Marvel etc.

I picked up Batman Arkham Knight vol 1-3, and 'Batman: Noel' hardback which I'd not heard of but seems to have good reviews, it's a Gotham retelling of A Christmas Carol. Anyway, worth a pop in if you're passing!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The Works is basically to Waterstones and Smiths what TK Maxx is to the clothing chain stores. Their stock is whatever they’ve ordered too much of. There’s often decent stuff in them, but you have to dig and be willing to go in fairly regularly. Board games in particular you can sometimes get some absolute bargains (if you’re willing to use boardgamegeek to find out which ones are actually worth it)
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

ThirdMan wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 1:41 pm
Alan Moore's Saga of the Swamp Thing. Just the first two volumes so far. It lived up to the hype, for the most part at least. It's a radical reimagining of an existing property. I'd wager that this is one of Moore's most personal creations, based on the little I know about him. My only complaint is that it's overwritten at times, in the way that DC and Marvel comics tend to be. I think that's often a symptom of the creative process, with writer and artist both telling the same story and occasionally getting in each other's way. Contrast that with the work of Gipi, for example, who retains complete authorial control over every single panel and trusts his art and words to work together. I'm told that the best of Swamp Thing is yet to come, but right now it's a long way off the what Moore and Gibbons achieved with Watchmen.
I LOVED Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run. It stays consistent throughout, so you're in for a treat!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I started that a few months ago but got distracted, it was bloody good though. I keep meaning to go back to it, but I've not read any comics since Christmas really, can't seem to get in the mood at the moment. I tend to go through phases of mad binging then a couple of months where I'll read nothing.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

If you haven't seen Titans yet I would recommend after finishing season one.

The final episode came out of nowhere and is probably one of my favourite if not number 1 ''superhero'' tv episodes I have ever seen.

Need season 2 immediately
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

That's pretty much how I feel about TDKR.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: February 19th, 2019, 7:47 am That's pretty much how I feel about TDKR.
Me 3!.

Getting behind with my reading currently so I went to my local indie comic book shop to pick up my standing orders and Green Lanterns has been cancelled! :cry: my favourite of the rebirth series.

My only subs left are now Batman and Detective Comics. I bailed on Justice League recently.

I picked up Captain Marvel 1 as I know nothing about her ready for the film.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I just read the first two volumes of Black Hammer, a comic that's been recommended on The Weekly Planet once or twice. I like it, it scratches the same itch that Astro City or Invincible did, but I could use more. The main story is a bit stretched out in those two books and I was ready to move on to a reveal or twist soon. I got to get a hold of the rest of the series!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

ThirdMan wrote: February 19th, 2019, 4:05 pm
duskvstweak wrote: February 19th, 2019, 3:36 pm I just read the first two volumes of Black Hammer, a comic that's been recommended on The Weekly Planet once or twice. I like it, it scratches the same itch that Astro City or Invincible did, but I could use more. The main story is a bit stretched out in those two books and I was ready to move on to a reveal or twist soon. I got to get a hold of the rest of the series!
Don't forget that the universe has been expended via a number of mini-series:

Black Hammer '45 (beginning March 2019)
Black Hammer: The Quantum Age
Doctor Star and the Kindgom of Lost Tomorrows
Sherlock Frankenstein and the Legion of Evil

Then there's the single one-shot:

Black-Hammer: Cthu-Louise

You'll want to pull up a reading order online. It's not strictly necessary as the minis don't spoil the main series but they will compliment it if read in the correct sequence.
Will do! Thanks!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

If you think the Dark Knight stuff is the worst you’ve ever read, you’ve clearly never read 300. Or Holy Terror.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

You know, I've always enjoyed Frank Miller's Ronin. I thought it was cool, cyberpunk comic that had deep roots in 70s/80s anime. And, it's getting a new reprint soon!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm really struggling to get through the Knightfall saga. I loved it back in the day, but these new trades are so bloated with extra content that really drag the story out. I know it picks up after the second book, and book one was excellent. Just hate Jean Paul Valley as Batman. I've told myself I'm not allowed to read anything else until I've finished it, but I'm not enjoying it.

Why on earth do we impose these ridiculous arbitrary rules on ourselves? It makes no logical sense, yet we do it anyway.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: February 20th, 2019, 7:10 pm I'm really struggling to get through the Knightfall saga. I loved it back in the day, but these new trades are so bloated with extra content that really drag the story out. I know it picks up after the second book, and book one was excellent. Just hate Jean Paul Valley as Batman. I've told myself I'm not allowed to read anything else until I've finished it, but I'm not enjoying it.

Why on earth do we impose these ridiculous arbitrary rules on ourselves? It makes no logical sense, yet we do it anyway.
You're not alone. While I really enjoyed the initial prison break/Bane fight in the first volume, I found the rest of the "trilogy" to be bloated and unfocused. I also hated Jean Paul as Batman. Though, it seems like that was the plan all along, so people in the 90s would stop begging for an "edgy" Batman. Mission accomplished but it doesn't make for fun reading these days.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'd second that. In my old job I worked next to my town library and read pretty much every Alien comic that has ever been printed.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

As a librarian who is in charge of ordering our graphic novels for all ages, it warms my heart to hear that! Going to the library is how I got into comics, picking up the Essential X-Men collections they had, reading Sandman out of order and interlibrary-loaning Hulk: Future Imperfect.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I just devoured Kill or Be Killed. What a weird, dark book. It got it's hooks in me though. And, speaking of libraries, the one I was borrowing from had the first three volumes, but no plans on getting the final, fourth book. It finally got me to setup a Comixology account so I could read the ending while I had the momentum.
Also, Sean Phillips' art was fantastic.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been meaning to join our local library for ages - I'm now even more inclined.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I got lucky, Kill or Be Killed (and most of Image) was having a sale. I also get a free trial of Unlimited so I'm going to try and binge a few things. It seems like a cool service, but I already have Marvel Unlimited and I don't need both. I'll definitely use Comixology for sales and books my library system doesn't have, though.