The Euro 2020 Thread

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Simonsloth

Re: The Euro 2020 Thread

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: June 19th, 2021, 4:32 pm There's not been many really exciting matches so far, has there. Hoping Portugal vs Germany has a bit of action.
It’s been a cracker so far. 2 excellent teams wanting to win. After the french draw Hungary have something to play for in the last game and could make that incredibly interesting.
Seph

Post by Seph »

Germany have been excellent today and they don't look like slowing down. The last day for the group of death is can't-miss TV now.
Quiet Paul

Post by Quiet Paul »

I’d say that had a bit of action. :lol:
RinseWashRepeat

Post by RinseWashRepeat »

I'd say so too!

Finally got Kane out of my fantasy team now - replaced with Lukaku. Don't think I'll regret that! :)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

RinseWashRepeat wrote: June 20th, 2021, 10:07 am I'd say so too!

Finally got Kane out of my fantasy team now - replaced with Lukaku. Don't think I'll regret that! :)
I have too which means he will definitely score and lukaku will get a red card!
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Now England have qualified, I hope the England players can go out against the Czech Republic and play without pressure, which hopefully will lead to a better performance to boost confidence. A shame about Mount and Chilwell likely to be missing the game but at least it gives others the chance to come in and prove themselves. I was thinking Grealish but then Southgate said on the radio yesterday that Mount plays as a number 8 and Grealish isn't a number 8 :|
RinseWashRepeat

Post by RinseWashRepeat »

I get the feeling that Southgate doesn't really know his best 11.

As an Arsenal fan, I'd love to see Saka play - but also as an Arsenal fan I know he'll either break his leg or grab Barcelona's interest and cause him to leave for 30mil.

Also - just to add I'm super happy for Denmark. Good to see them playing and great to hear Eriksen's doing better.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

If Southgate is a sensible man we should be playing for a draw as winning puts in the position where we have to play better teams on the route to the final.

I know there’s an argument you will have to play good teams to win it but we’ve been here before. England got to the World Cup semi-final by losing to Belgium in the final group game (which looked deliberate) and had a series of mediocre teams to get past until the final.

I think we have more of a chance finishing second because I don’t think we play well enough as a team to consistently beat the best.

If you had the choice between thrashing the Czechs and going out to France, Germany or Portugal with a whimper or drawing then playing Sweden, Poland or Slovakia to have a shot at the quarter finals. I’d play for the draw.

Loved the Denmark game yesterday! Fantastic turn around!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Interestingly if Scotland win 2-0 and England lose 2-1 then they will be tied on points, goals scored, goals against and with an even head to head record.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

On a podcast I listened to, they said if that were to have happened, England would have gone through as they had a better disciplinary record.

Regarding England's performance yesterday, I thought they were particularly good first half and second half was a little dull but if that gets us to our first trophy since 1966 I don't care!
Seph

Post by Seph »

Three points are all that matters, but that game was dull to watch. England would be better off playing WWE's Kane than the one they have.

The Group F games tonight should be great, you'd think France and Germany look good to get through, but I really can't call it.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I do feel for Kane slightly as I don't think he is getting the service and when he does get the ball there aren't players around him, whereas at Spurs he at least has Son buzzing around him which is why their partnership got the most assists between them last season.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

I would have preferred Kane to get injured so Southgate would have had an easy excuse to start DCL. This currently has Rooney carrying a niggle mid-2000s vibes all over it. Love all the attacking midfielders, though, and I feel like DCL would link up better with them. Kane looks like he's playing a different brand of football.

All being said, though, I think we can and should twat Germany.
Quiet Paul

Post by Quiet Paul »

Status quo for Scotland then :lol: Y’know, for as much as Scotland didn’t play all that well, Croatia were outstanding! A lot of Scotland fans and media missed that and went straight to criticising Clark and the team but I thought some of the football Croatia played was superb! (Sorry I was late to the party on this one)

Looking forward to the England - Germany game. Those games are normally very entertaining and I think the Welsh have enough in them to deal with the Danes. Portugal and Belgium ought to be a cracker too!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yesterday's matches were great! I'll update the knockout round on page 1 in a bit.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

So it turns out that Gareth knew what he was doing as by winning we’ve ended up on the side of the draw that avoids Italy, Belgium, Spain and France.

If (and it’s a big if) we beat Germany we have Sweden or Ukraine in Quarter final then one of Wales/Denmark/Netherlands/Czech Republic before the final.

Considering how many amazing teams are in the other side of the draw I would have to say that we have a considerably better chance of progression.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Yeah I would agree, it wouldn't be an international tournament without England vs Sweden, we always seem to play them.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Sweden look really well organised and although the names on the team sheet don’t stand out as much as some other nations they look really solid.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

To be honest I think you could flip a coin on any England match at any time. There's not a team in the world we couldn't beat, and there's not a team in the world we definitely could beat. They're just so unpredictable. I would say the Southgate era has been the most consistent in my lifetime, though.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Another two cracking games today. Both teams deserved the win, and both, I'd say, fairly big upsets!