Comic Book Chatter

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

Re: Comic Book Chatter

Post by Alex79 »

Phantom Phreak wrote: October 1st, 2021, 9:03 pm I am the fan of the Sin City universe by Frank Miller. In my humble opinion the comics is one of the best ever.
Only ever read the first book, and I remember at the time just not really taking to it. However, I actually re-read it recently, maybe 15 years later, and I enjoyed it a good deal more, to the point I ended up adding the others to my 'big list' to read at some point.

Cornelius_Smiff

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

The Good Asian... from Image Comics. One that's been on my radar for a while with very positive reviews. Finally picked it up and im kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Already have thye first 5 issues (as well as a few variants ha ha). The guy in the comic book shop almost did a sex wee when I purchased 4 issues at once. Fantastic writing, noirish vibes and a very tough subject matter handled with care and in a very fascinating way.

85 thumbs way up!

Cornelius_Smiff

Well it's all kicked off hasnt it? The upcoming issue of Son of Kal-El will reveal Jon Kent as being Bi-Sexual. As you can imagine this has caused the heads of numerous idiots to explode. It's amusing as much as it is sigh inducing, since most people reacting badly are not aware that it isn't actually Clark Kent. Numerous accusations of them altering a beloved classic Superhero to pander to the 'Woke' narrative... It's always fun to point out that Jon Kent has only been around circa 7 years and was a kid prior to this.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Plus of course, the original Superman was never some kind of, ugh, Social Justice Warrior, right?
:D

Cornelius_Smiff

ratsoalbion wrote: October 13th, 2021, 3:50 pm Plus of course, the original Superman was never some kind of, ugh, Social Justice Warrior, right?
:D
No indeed! It's like when we had people complaining about the gay relationship portrayed in Star-Trek: Discovery with words akin to "Star Trek isn't supposed to be this woke! I've been a fan for years, but not anymore!". Clearly not a very observant Star-Trek fan if you only just noticed this.

I think my favourite example is that scene from Endgame where the female members of the cast team up and it evidently caused outrage by being too "Woke". I had someone backtrack a little with "ohhh its not that its women... its because its so unrealistic that they all happened to be together at once!".. Dude really? At what point did the ludonarrative dissonance fail? Was it before or after the big space demon used his gauntlet infused with bing bang stones to punch a hole into a charging army that came through some portals made my dimensional wizards?

I do have a dread fascination with watching bigoted people trip over their own logic. Give someone enough rope and all that eh?

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I don't have Twitter anymore, so I just see news announced and then move on with my day. This reaction is nothing new, be glad we didn't have internet in the 80s when Rhodey took over as Iron Man.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Disappointed isn't the right word. Underwhelmed might be it. I'm sure it will be good but the trailer has a lot of "been there, done that" moments. There's a scene where Batman is beating up mooks in a nightclub and I had to convince myself it's not just the same scene from The Dark Knight.

Plus, while it's technically been longer between Dark Knight Rises and this than there was time between Batman & Robin and Batman Begins, it feels like just yesterday thanks to Batfleck's three (four?) appearances, five seasons of Gotham and Joker. I very rarely don't enjoy a Batman-anything, so I'm sure I'll be eating my words come March. But, as of now, the fire is burning a bit cooler than normal.

Cornelius_Smiff

'The Good Asian' goes from strength to strength, really good stuff!

'Die' is one I have been trying to acquire all the issues of before I delve into it. I am 2 issues away from having all 20. This is one I have been told is up there amongst the best things to come out in recent memory.

'The Nice House on the Lake' ooof just gets better and better, I am annoyed there will be a large break after issue 6 :(. I have made a point of getting at least one variant cover for each issue I already have, since they are just beautiful to look at.

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Cornelius_Smiff wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 7:22 pm 'The Nice House on the Lake' ooof just gets better and better, I am annoyed there will be a large break after issue 6 :(. I have made a point of getting at least one variant cover for each issue I already have, since they are just beautiful to look at.
I just read issue 5 yesterday and it was good, but I didn't really feel it moved the story along any. Well, aside from the final two pages, which were a bit WTF is going on here!

Cornelius_Smiff

I love the variant artwork of King Spawn #3... It's incredibly disturbing, but I love the sideways wink wink to the marvel and dc universe here. ha ha.

Have a butcher's: https://ibb.co/j40mQHD

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Sat in a boring training session via MS Teams, so obviously took it as an opportunity to read the first two issues of Batman vs Bigby, the long awaited Batman/Fables crossover.

Written by Bill Willingham himself, it really doesn't have the quality of the writing Fables had, in fact - it reads quite poorly. However, the story is at least interesting and I'm curious to see where it goes. Worth a look if you're a fan of both series.

Cornelius_Smiff

The Nice House on the Lake pre hiatus issue just dropped (naturally I got it and the arty variant cover), but as good as it is (and it is) it felt to me as if this should have been the first issue after the hiatus.

Stupidly got into a few new ones too. 'Dark Knights of Steel', which is essentially the justice league go Medieval in a very interesting alternate universe type affair. I like the premise.

Primordial, which (as you'd expect from Image) has great artwork and I love idea. 3 issues in and very solid stuff.

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Cornelius_Smiff wrote: November 24th, 2021, 8:17 pm The Nice House on the Lake pre hiatus issue just dropped (naturally I got it and the arty variant cover), but as good as it is (and it is) it felt to me as if this should have been the first issue after the hiatus.
Oh cool, didn't realise it was out yet, assumed it'd be a month after the last one.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Cornelius_Smiff wrote: November 24th, 2021, 8:17 pm
Stupidly got into a few new ones too. 'Dark Knights of Steel', which is essentially the justice league go Medieval in a very interesting alternate universe type affair. I like the premise.
Not sure if you've read it, but if you want more Medieval DC, Demon Knights was a great, but short series. One of the pleasant surprises to come out of the New 52 back in 2011.

DeadpoolNegative

Post by DeadpoolNegative »

Taskmaster: The Rubicon Trigger- Maria Hill is DEAD! Wait, before you start celebrating, be advised that everyone's favorite wisecracking master mercenary, The Taskmaster, has been accused of the crime!

Black Cat writer Jed MacKay and artist Alessandro Vitti (Red Lanterns) did this five issue miniseries meant to tie into the Black Widow movie, even though the conception of that character in the movie turns out to be very, very different from the comics. No attempts to emulate the movie here (well unless you count the Marcus Johnson Nick Fury), just a fun, if overlong five issue chase scene.

Mackay is know for his wacky, reference filled jaunts across the Marvel Universe with the Black Cat miniseries, and The Rubicon Trigger is also about a scavenger hunt of sorts. While the Black Widow bears down on him, intent on taking Tasky in for Hill's murder, Nick Fury guides him to three possible suspects, and and attempt to solve the mystery of the title: What, exactly, is the Rubicon Trigger and why was Maria Hill killed for it?

The plot is simple, and feels like something you could probably resolve in an annual or two issues forty years ago. But that's not the way comics work now. Thankfully, MacKay and Vitti make sure the acton scenes are pretty strong. But it's the ending that really pushes it towards a recommend: something happens that you'd totally expect, and then something happens that you totally don't expect. Also, there's some trenchant commentary about the whole hard people making hard choices thing, and how you have to use people for the greater good, but that means you're still using- and hurting- people. Even someone like Taskmaster can be a victim.

--Dan