Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Cornelius_Smiff

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

Got massively into Critical Role lately... I know I know, it's pretty much a well known thing at this stage and I totally intended to check it out sooner. I am totally in love with this format (ironically works better in podcast form for me) because it's such a good listen on my commutes.

DeadpoolNegative

Post by DeadpoolNegative »

Hey kids, it's Master Chief!

--Dan

Miririn

Post by Miririn »

My True Television Love (...since Mad Men, Deadwood and The Sopranos finished, anyway), Succession, finally returned from a two year break and already Sunday is the season finale. I hope we don't have to wait two years after an absolute whammy of a cliffhanger like last time. (The delay was Covid-related, I think, so hopefully not).

I don't think S3 is as good as S2, but I think it's been extremely good and that besting S2 would have been quite difficult. S2 was like lightning in a bottle - I'm not quite sure what happened, but it's one of the most consistently brilliant seasons of a dramatic TV show I've ever seen. Up there with S1 of Sopranos and Deadwood, and Mad Men S3, in just not having a single dud episode and having pretty much impeccable writing and performances throughout, along with a ridiculously satisfying narrative arc. <-- Which sounds nauseatingly effusive and luvvie, but I'm not a writer, I'm allowed :p

The finale of S3 will be interesting. The best and most memorable moments of both S1 and S2 were the last five minutes of the season finales. I remember watching the season 1 finale of Succession (and if you've watched it, you know) and sitting there mildly stunned by how well they had pulled off the ending flourish. ("You're my number one boy...")

Jeremy Strong and Matthew MacFadyen have been particularly brilliant this season, although all the cast are great. Hopefully they get a heap of awards.

DeadpoolNegative

Post by DeadpoolNegative »

Succession really hit it out of the park again, with a surprise ending that seemed perfectly appropriate in hindsight.

--Dan

Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

A mate of mine recommended Sex Education on Netflix to me so I started it at the weekend. After the first couple of episodes I thought it was just going to a show full of crude jokes which isn't really my thing, but it did evolve into being more nuanced with more drama and some quite heartfelt moments between characters. Plus I have laughed a few times in it.

Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

FYI

The Power On Xbox documentary which was initially revealed in Xbox's 20th anniversary stream last month has been released on Youtube. It's six chapters long and is all about the history of Xbox. Here is the first chapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJYsA1jXf60

Cornelius_Smiff

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

Witcher Season 2 was awesome... That is all!

Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

1. Liquorice Pizza
Really good romantic comedy/drama with standout performances from the leads. Went in a different direction to what I was expecting from the trailer but that wasn’t a bad thing. Check it out if you’re a Paul Anderson fan. 4/5

Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

After hearing a lot of praise for Succession I decided to sign up to NowTV as I was wanting to watch the Harry Potter documentary too. I am hooked to Succession. I have never been a binge watcher but since starting it a week or so ago I have watched 6 episodes due to it's quality. On paper I don't think it sounds like a very interesting premise (family drama with siblings vying for control over their fathers company) but the drama on show is incredible. Everyone is a horrible person in it but throughout you're vying for certain characters only to have a total u-turn on them not long after. Some scenes have you on the edge of you seat and there is a LOT of tension. Highly recommended.

Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Finished Succession Season One now. It lived up to the hype with an incredible final episode. Probably the best show I have seen since Better Call Saul. Looking forward to seeing the next two seasons.

Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Spoiler: show
1. Liquorice Pizza
2. Boiling Point
Fantastic film starring Stephen Graham as a chef running a London restaurant on a evening during Christmas time. It is a stressful watch in the same way that Uncut Gems was but I found it to be even more enjoyable. It is only 90 minutes but is all one shot. Incredibly it isn't just filmed to appear like it's a one shot (like with 1917) but is genuinely all one shot. I found this out afterwards and makes the film all the more impressive. It is all set within the restaurant but there is still a lot of moving around, I feel sorry for the cameraman who must be still sweating! It is quite an incredible feat, there must have been so much planning and rehearsals to get it all right. 5/5