Why Cars and Second Hand Car Salesmen Make Me A Sad Panda

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
arry_g

Why Cars and Second Hand Car Salesmen Make Me A Sad Panda

Post by arry_g »

Last month my wife was in a hit and run of sorts, a van crashed into her (her on a main road, him pulling out of a parked space - so the blame on him in this case) and noticing she was too shook up to get number plate info etc, he admitted fault and threw some false details her way saying that his work insurance would cover it. The fact that there was no real third-party meant that the insurance company charged us the excess etc but the police are involved now and making some leeway into the case (fortunately) - so who knows maybe we'll get some of that back.

Anyway, we raised some money to get another car (a struggle but we managed). Now, in my area young programmers aren't on super, duper wages in part because of the cheaper resources found in places like Pune these days... so, second hand 05 plate Focus it is.

Now, at first everything was fine - bought car, cam belt and glove box needed replacing and the garage did that without issue. Three weeks later and the car started intensely creaking every time it turned to the right, one of the 'benefits' of buying from a garage rather than an individual is the warranty... so we took it back. The mechanic confirmed what we thought which is that it was the suspension arm, put some oil on it temporarily, said he'd order the part and get the owner to call up and arrange a time to replace it. A day later and the owner called to give a date and that was that. On the stated day (today actually), we turned up and got told that they had no record of the call, that the part hasn't been ordered and that they have no intention of fixing the part. So, we checked for the voicemail saying they would and it turns out that Vodafone only keep messages for one week, so we didn't even have proof. The owner then proceeded to deny that there is anything wrong with the car and accused my wife (who has suffered from post-natal depression the last couple of years and PTS disorder following a childhood trauma) of being off her rocker (which she is sensitive about for understandable reasons) and sent her away saying he'd refuse to help. Meaning despite having a perfectly OK warranty we will probably have to pay out at a garage and I now have a deeply upset wife to deal with as well as doing an extra 50-70 hours a month overtime to deal with the financial issues that have occurred from the ordeal as a whole.

Sorry, I just wanted to put this all into written word to vent as I am serious ****ed off right now and what better way to vent than to write an essay about my problems to a group of people I have never met and yet respect anyway based on their opinions of my hobby!
Beck

Re: Why Cars and Second Hand Car Salesmen Make Me A Sad Pand

Post by Beck »

Hi Arry,

That's a bit shit but I wouldn't just accept it. If you have the time, take your documentation of the car sale down to Citizen's Advice Bureau. Citizen's Advice are great but they aren't quick so I would prepare to be there all day, I once sat there from 8-3pm with a landlord dispute. Anyway, they will point you in the right direction of where you stand with your problem legally, It's amazing what a well worded letter can achieve. Also you could head to the money saving expert forums, the people there are great and they will be able to tell you your rights.

I bought a second hand car from a garage and was given a 1 year warranty that covered everything but wear and tear which was fine. I would expect your car to have something similar in the purchase agreement and I wouldn't class a suspension arm as wear and tear. I wouldn't focus (mind the pun) on what someone said or get worked up about it, check the paperwork and follow it to the letter.

I hope it gets sorted out soon :)
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Beck wrote:Hi Arry,

That's a bit shit but I wouldn't just accept it. If you have the time, take your documentation of the car sale down to Citizen's Advice Bureau. Citizen's Advice are great but they aren't quick so I would prepare to be there all day, I once sat there from 8-3pm with a landlord dispute. Anyway, they will point you in the right direction of where you stand with your problem legally, It's amazing what a well worded letter can achieve. Also you could head to the money saving expert forums, the people there are great and they will be able to tell you your rights.

I bought a second hand car from a garage and was given a 1 year warranty that covered everything but wear and tear which was fine. I would expect your car to have something similar in the purchase agreement and I wouldn't class a suspension arm as wear and tear. I wouldn't focus (mind the pun) on what someone said or get worked up about it, check the paperwork and follow it to the letter.

I hope it gets sorted out soon :)
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably head down there if I can get time away from the office next week. I've never bothered with the CAB before but this does seem like a good opportunity to speak to someone and get clear direction on what to do next.
TomFum

Post by TomFum »

Really sad to read this, to many dodgy garages out there these days that do nothing to help a customer when a car has a warrenty.

Really hope you get it sorted and cheaply as well. Being a fellow focus owner, if you want help/advice with anything just give me a shout ok
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Definitely don't give up on it! They are just chancing their arm hoping customers don't chase them up. Good luck
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Only just seen this, get on Martin Lewis's forum, there should also be good advice there. Don't let them get away with it. I'd name and shame too on Facebook if you don't get a positive finish, save it happening to someone else.