Favourite Films and TV Shows of 2014

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Combine Hunter

Favourite Films and TV Shows of 2014

Post by Combine Hunter »

I feel like I know what a lot of people's favourite Video Games have been this year, but I'm curious to see what non-interactive entertainment people have loved in 2014.

This isn't a top 10/awards/blah blah blah thing. Just a opportunity to reflect on 2014, and share the experiences you've loved.

My favourite film this year is a toss up between Under the Skin or Snowpiercer. Both are dark and pessimistic sci-fi films, that due to their country of origin, differ in style and tone from the genre fiction we see come out of Hollywood. (Despite both having Hollywood cast members.)

Under the Skin is a film about an Alien disguised as one of us, attempting to lure men to a gruesome fate (the film is about more than that, but you know, spoilers). It's a fantastic example of less is more, and how to use visuals, rather than dialogue, to tell your story. It wasn't a film I walked away from immediately thinking "This is amazing!" But it set up camp in my brain and never left, and the more I thought about it, the more the film grew in my mind. It's haunting, beautiful and deeply sad. Plus the soundtrack is masterful.

Snowpiercer is considerably less subtle than Under the Skin, but just as smartly constructed. Snowpiercer is a post-apocalyptic film, where the whole world has cooled to temperatures that can no longer support life, and the only survivors are the residents of a self-sustaining train, that travels across the entire globe, constantly marching forwards. I don't want to say much more, but it becomes pretty clear that the film is one giant metaphor. It's the Bioshock movie we want, but will never get made, and Chris Evans demonstrates that he is more than a pretty face.

As for TV Shows, it's True Detective and The Legend of Korra Book 3 for me. These two don't have as much in common as my film choices. :)

True Detective, on it's surface, is your text book murder mystery. But it becomes pretty clear a few episodes in, it's a bit more special than that. The writing is superb, the cinematography is superb, the acting is superb. This series completely changed my opinion on Matthew McConaughey, whose portrayal of Rust has become one of my favourite performances on television. Episode 4 also features a frankly jaw dropping, 6 minute, one take scene. Lets hope Season 2 can match it.

After the inconsistent quality of Book 2 of Korra, the fact that Book 3 was not only a return to form, but at times surpassed past glories, was a hugely welcome relief. The anarchistic, buddhist monk known as Zaheer, (played by Henry Rollins) will go down in history as one of the greatest animated villains ever created. Zaheer defied and subverted any and all expectations general audiences might have about what a "Saturday morning cartoon villain" can and should be. Avatar, both of the Aang and Korra variety, has always been an animated series that has pushed the boundaries, and the show's villains have consistently been far deeper than many of its peers. But even as a long time fan, I was surprised by what they did with Zaheer. That, plus you know, Mir still being one of the best 2D animation studios in the world. :)

Alex79

Re: Favourite Films and TV Shows of 2014

Post by Alex79 »

True Detective sounds interesting, where you watching that? Wonder if its on Netflix.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

There aren't any HBO shows on Netflix afaIk.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I was a bit naughty when I watched it for the first time, but now I have the Blu-ray.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah cool *taps nose*
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

True Detective was superb and yeah that scene was a masterpiee.
Testtube27

Post by Testtube27 »

True Detective was awesome, and Game of Thrones just gets better every season
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Another vote for 'that scene'. Stunning!!

Vague references to end of True Detective below:
Spoiler: show
Do you think there was any pressure applied about how it ended? Felt like it might have originally been darker? Although then wouldn't have had that moment outside at the end, which was quite touching.