I Quite Like This Community

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: I Quite Like This Community

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I tend to post from my iPad (2nd, still kicking somehow) while I'm at work. It seems to look more professional to the glancing eye than Twitter. And working at a university library means free wifi, and it would be irresponsible of me to not take advantage of that!
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

I agree with what the others have said. I would also like to highlight one other thing.
I have always had a big problem with my spelling, so mush so that I sometimes baffle a spellchecker! On other forum I have been on people have either constantly picking holes in other peoples spelling or been dismissive of people miss spell things. In this community there has been none of that, particularly when it involves written correspondence in the podcast. well done.
eastmcduck

Post by eastmcduck »

I, too, have a great appreciation for this community. I'm still new and don't really know people well yet, but I really appreciate the maturity and intellect typically demonstrated by everyone here. Puts me in mind of another forum I was part of a few years before Facebook caught on, which sadly no longer exists. The layout of the Cane and Rinse forum is nearly identical. Everyone treated each other more like friends and there were little to no issues. The moderators did a good job at keeping things clean and handling people who signed up specifically to troll.

I can honestly say this community is helping to restore some of my faith in humanity and to come back out of my shell a bit. I got so fed up with social media and how people conduct themselves online that I took a break from socializing on the internet entirely. I've had some personal issues with social anxiety that have surfaced as I've gotten older as well, which can be debilitating at times. I've been more or less a hermit for the past year and half or so. Feels good to be mingling with people and discussing mutual passions again.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Fantastic to hear - you're definitely among friends here.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I really like this forum, the members are warm and passionate and the post quality is consistently great. I suppose I do agree with the point that the all-encompassing threads kind of absorb most topics and therefore discussions can be truncated because they move onto something new. On the other hand, it does keep things ticking over regularly. In summary: Sunday, Monday, Happy Days.
nickturner13

Post by nickturner13 »

I like the idea that as a 37-yr old guy, I can be seen by a lot of people - work colleagues, friends, family, as being somewhat odd for being a video game afficionado... movies, tv shows, fashion... none of these things interest me, but games always have and always will.

It's nice to be alongside people closer to my age group that also have a burning passion for games and are happy to talk about what is going on now and also with Sound of Play, listening to some of the music that has shaped our lives!

I've only just joined the forums but will hopefully post a lot more in the future.
MagicianArcana

Post by MagicianArcana »

nickturner13 wrote:I like the idea that as a 37-yr old guy, I can be seen by a lot of people - work colleagues, friends, family, as being somewhat odd for being a video game afficionado... movies, tv shows, fashion... none of these things interest me, but games always have and always will.
I can definitely echo that sentiment.
I have friends who are into video games, but most of the time I'm around people who believe video games to be nothing more than children's toys. (Like at work or with my family.) So I came to this forum because I don't normally have people to talk to about my passion for gaming.
I haven't found a gaming community friendlier and more welcoming than this one. I'm glad it exists. :)
Sean

Post by Sean »

Same here! Only, mid-30's in my case. Though it's still fun to talk to youngins like Josh and Ryan. Keeps perspectives fresh, IMO.
Suits

Post by Suits »

My instant group of mates, where they adore computer games, they only have an eye for the spotlight titles, or current trend in games. Conversations tend to run dry if I wonder from the beaten track.

Where here, I find a much more fulfilling approach to gaming in general, which I enjoy.

I do love it here, I have to admit.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I once felt there was nothing to gain for me from signing on to a videogame forum. In the heydays of internet forums I was subscribed to a single one and it was more based around (Hip Hop) music. This sentiment was only strengthened when gaming forums everywhere exploded when Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and its main character were announced and way too many people seemed outraged that they *HAD TO* play with a black main character. I - bluntly - concluded I had nothing in common with the video gaming populace, though I loved playing video games and talking about them with the handful of 'real life' friends that shared my passion.

In recent days I've started to get back into my forum posting groove again and the negative impression I once had about video game enthusiasts on the internet is something I don't see even an inkling of in the Cane and Rinse forums. So I guess I quite like this community too. :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Wasn't sure where to put this, so thought I'd stick it here.

Stumbled across this old picture of me in my den. I'm about 16. Not my most flattering moment.

This must be circa 2001 due to Champ being on the monitor. I used to play this straight for days.

Also note the Mega Drive in the corner, with what looks like NHL '95 in it.

Skating, Sega & Champ was all I lived for. Simple times, lol.

Anyone else got any old gaming pictures ??

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Nice time capsule!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

That might be worth a thread all by itself, I can probably dig something out.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I've got some of Christmas 1991 somewhere, where it all started with a Master System and Wimbledon/Bubble Bobble.

Gotta find those bad-boys........
ianw78

Post by ianw78 »

Well just joined but it seems like a nice friendly place! I used to be active on a few forums a good few years ago (Retro Gamer, Sega 16 etc..) but drifted away. Signing up to a forum again almost feels retro lol.

Great pic "Suits" by the way... happy times eh! I pretty much hammered Champ Manager back in the day as well, when I should have been revising for exams as well! :-0
chrysalice

Post by chrysalice »

I also really like the look of this forum, and I've enjoyed chatting with various podcasts guests on twitter from time to time, they all seem like lovely people. Always find it a bit difficult to get started on forums (autism + there are already friendship groups so where am i meant to slot in???) but this is the first time in a while I've not signed up and felt very intimidated... Partly because of how friendly and non... trollish? people are on here. For now I'm mostly just sat reading through threads, but I hope that I'll get the courage to start joining in more soon :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Great stuff, that's exactly the culture we want to continue to cultivate here. Over five years and barely any 'incidents' worth mentioning.

Glad you've found somewhere you feel comfortable. Absolutely no pressure to post, just as and when you feel like you want to.
:)
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So hmm... I dont know how closely you all are following the whole syria situation but Donald Trump just launched 50 tomahawks against a syrian gov airbase the same syrian gov that Russia is providing aid including troops on the ground... so I just wanted to say something in the off chance none of us make it through the end of the week. I really like this place even if Im an asshole at times it's a friendly place where you really feel invited to post and talk to people, I lurked on may forums over the years and never really had the guts to write anything in them other then this one and it's because of the people here, people will actually want to have inteligent conversations and be generally nice to each other, which in the internet is quite rare, sometimes I just come home jump straight into the forum to get my mind of stuff even if I dont write anything I just like reading what everyone else has been up so I just wanna thank everyone for making this such a nice place to be in
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

These are indeed troubled times we live in. C'mere, Daniel:
Spoiler: show
I also don't think you're an asshole, despite your shameless TPP apologism. But it's okay, everyone has their faults. :P
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Thanks man ,I might've been drinking abit when I wrote it but it's no less true