Shameless Self Promotion

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Stanshall

Re: Shameless Self Promotion

Post by Stanshall »

I didn't realise it was a branch but went to the Liverpool one over Christmas when visiting my bro. Really good food. Very sad about his son, on a more important note, I can't begin to imagine.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It's evident in his work since, which of course you'd expect. The last album was just an outpouring of grief.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

I was lucky to be invited onto Empire’s film podcast this week to give my opinions on their 100 greatest films of the 21st century (so far). My human name is Luke, so enjoy my dulcet, Dudley tone :)

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/new ... s-special/
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

That's pretty impressive, how did you end up getting on the show?
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

Alex79uk wrote: February 15th, 2020, 3:40 pm That's pretty impressive, how did you end up getting on the show?
They put out a Tweet in January asking for people to DM them if they were interested in taking part. I sent a message and forgot all about it until the Friday before last, when they invited me down. I’m still thinking of films that I’m surprised didn’t make their top 100 list (no Hunger Games, and those films were *huge*)
Ray

Post by Ray »

I guess you were surprised when you got the invitation :)
Ray

Post by Ray »

(Whoops sorry for the double post, can a mod please delete this?)
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

If we're not connected on social media, then you might not know that me and Ben of One Credit Classics fame have started a podcast venture of our own together.

It's called Video Wizards and it's a monthly, so still good to combine with my contributions to Cane and Rinse. In it we look back at the same month in a random year in the '80s and '90s, all time capsule-like. The meat of the show consists of the arcade games that came out and were around in that moment in time, but we frame everything with discussion of the news of the day, our personal memories, our home gaming situation, music, film and TV.

We set out to create something different from Cane and Rinse and so there is definitely a format and a structure, but within that, the conversations can go anywhere and they often do. Also, while teaching myself to edit audio, with the invaluable experience I got from being part of Cane and Rinse, it crept up on us that we wanted to make Video Wizards a bit of an audio experience as well, so you'll find some ambient background sounds and fragments and bits of music that underscore what we're talking about.

Me and Ben have a ridiculous amount of fun making this, even just in the research phases, messaging each other with our finds and discoveries and definitely on the recordings, so we hope that much is apparent.

We've put out a pilot episode and an official first episode, on January '87 and February '89. We're looking into getting our second episode, on March '91, out soon as well, so we can fall into our ideal schedule of releasing a new one every first Monday of a new month.

Do check us out on our website, but you can also find us on Apple Podcasts, Player FM or your favourite Android podcast app, if you search for Video Wizards Podcast. We hope you subscribe and enjoy the show!
ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan »

Best of luck, guys. Sounds great.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Thank you, sir!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just downloading them now they've appeared in my podcast app! Looking forward to listening - one suggestion is you might want to look at the file size. The first two episodes together are over half a GB in data. It's not an issue for me with storage or data useage, but those are quite big file sizes for podcasts. For comparison, the TCGS and CaR shows are usually under 150mb for a 2.5 to 3 hour show.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

^^^^ Good point, Alex. Yeah I tried exporting at a lower bitrate (from 192 kbps to 128) initially, but it makes the music in the podcast sound a lot more tinny.

I use my video editing software (Filmora) to edit these and even with videos, the files it puts out are rather heavy. Maybe I can do the same thing with audio as I do with video and compress the files through Handbrake and see if the quality loss in audio is more acceptable that way. I’ll experiment with that.

Do let us know if you enjoyed the show!
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Another shout out for a side hobby of mine.
As part of my new D&D campaign on Roll20.net, I'm adapting each weekly session into a chapter for an ongoing chronicle (so a little more incentive to continue week to week than I managed with the Critical Role series that has three drafts for three separate parts languishing in a folder ...)

https://archiveofourown.org/works/22892755
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

I originally posted here last year when I had just started my podcast but thought it was worth bringing up again now that we know what we're doing and have a few episodes under our belt.

Just 2 people that love horror films talking about horror films.

The Blood Shed

You can find us on all podcast providers.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

One of my favourite things is talking to my brother about interesting games, especially immersive sims, so now we've got a website as an excuse to do so. It's called Vent Crawlers and it is all about why we like 0451 games. Latest article is about consistent physics and systems and how they benefit these games:

https://ventcrawlers.blogspot.com/2020/ ... rgent.html

We're also developing an eventually exhaustive directory of interesting content on these sorts of games: https://ventcrawlers.blogspot.com/p/immersive-sim.html

And elsewhere on the blog are write-ups of classic levels and why they work so well; similiar to which is another blog I have been regularly updating with weekly visits to Dunwall in Dishonored: https://dunwalldiaries.blogspot.com/
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Over on my podcast, Previously on X-Men, we got to interview David Hayter about his time working on the first two X-Men movies!

Web > https://bit.ly/33OZvPN

Spotify > https://spoti.fi/3dttsJL

Apple > https://apple.co/2UDixEu

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

FINALLY
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Wow cool man, great guest to get on!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Sorry KSub! We're bi-weekly and we had a J.M. DeMettias interview scheduled first!

Thanks Alex! My teenage self would have a hard time believing he would get to do that interview! I know because I had a hard time believing it!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

duskvstweak wrote: March 25th, 2020, 3:16 pm Sorry KSub! We're bi-weekly and we had a J.M. DeMettias interview scheduled first!
No worries! Really looking forward to giving that one the attention it deserves as soon as I have the time. :P