Shameless Self Promotion

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
ReprobateGamer

Re: Shameless Self Promotion

Post by ReprobateGamer »

my weekly plug for our D&D stream over at twitch.tv/pennydragongames, starting at 8pm BST tonight

This week, we should be going to the mine which finishes this part of the campaign - so naturally we have gone instead to complete a side quest from a ruined village that will be completely safe ... completely ...
NoMoreSpearows

Post by NoMoreSpearows »

stvnorman wrote: July 11th, 2021, 9:12 pm Enjoyed reading through those! I do have the complete opposite opinion on Rob (not Ron - he’s the sci-fi guy) Hubbard’s Commando theme though - my favourite game music ever! I did go into why here: https://retroarcadia.blog/2021/02/24/t ... ms-part-2/

Bit amateur compared to what you’re doing, but I had a really good time over a few months working on my top 25 gaming tunes then covered them here and in a previous post.
In my defense, the "B" and "N" keys are very close to each other.

I really do wish I had more of an appreciation for that theme, and it may well be due to limitations I have as a human being (as stated, I really don't do well with sudden loud noises, which are in no short supply). It is refreshing to read a perspective completely opposite of my own, though, and I'll have to read your other essays when I have the time.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Just sharing the new episodes of 90s Music Got Me Like...

We're recently covered "You Get What You Give" by New Radicals, "Hey Jealousy" by Gin Blossoms, "Pepper" by Butthole Surfers and "Flagpole Sitta" by Harvey Danger.

https://90smusicgotmelike.libsyn.com/
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

NoMoreSpearows wrote: August 16th, 2021, 2:04 am
stvnorman wrote: July 11th, 2021, 9:12 pm Enjoyed reading through those! I do have the complete opposite opinion on Rob (not Ron - he’s the sci-fi guy) Hubbard’s Commando theme though - my favourite game music ever! I did go into why here: https://retroarcadia.blog/2021/02/24/t ... ms-part-2/

Bit amateur compared to what you’re doing, but I had a really good time over a few months working on my top 25 gaming tunes then covered them here and in a previous post.
In my defense, the "B" and "N" keys are very close to each other.

I really do wish I had more of an appreciation for that theme, and it may well be due to limitations I have as a human being (as stated, I really don't do well with sudden loud noises, which are in no short supply). It is refreshing to read a perspective completely opposite of my own, though, and I'll have to read your other essays when I have the time.
Yes, they are! And that song is just relentless sudden loud noises, so I get where you’re coming from!
Cornelius_Smiff

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

I recently made my return to streaming and to my original home of Twitch. I had a long running dispute with Amazon about some money they owed me from my affiliate status. They finally paid me (with an extra apology sweetener on top). I am not quite sure the direction I will take this time around, but I intend to throw in a few curveballs. I tend to do a mainline game (currently HZD) and throw in some Retro stuff from time to time. Any follows are very much appreciated.

https://www.twitch.tv/cornelius_smiff
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Cornelius_Smiff wrote: September 4th, 2021, 10:35 pm I recently made my return to streaming and to my original home of Twitch. I had a long running dispute with Amazon about some money they owed me from my affiliate status. They finally paid me (with an extra apology sweetener on top). I am not quite sure the direction I will take this time around, but I intend to throw in a few curveballs. I tend to do a mainline game (currently HZD) and throw in some Retro stuff from time to time. Any follows are very much appreciated.

https://www.twitch.tv/cornelius_smiff
Added you to the Community Streamers thread!
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

The first episode of my new podcast K-BOTAK is now available to listen to on most podcast apps.

I have started this twice weekly show to talk about the wealth of incredible films and TV dramas that come from South Korea, which I have been head over heels with this year and has revitalised my love of cinema and episodic telly.

You can subscribe on Spotify, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts and lots more or add the RSS feed. Click through to see where the show is available.

The first episode is about Squid Game, of course! Have a listen, subscribe and let me know what you think.

https://kbotak.buzzsprout.com/1864953
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Jon Cheetham wrote: October 7th, 2021, 12:54 pm The first episode of my new podcast K-BOTAK is now available to listen to on most podcast apps.

I have started this twice weekly show to talk about the wealth of incredible films and TV dramas that come from South Korea, which I have been head over heels with this year and has revitalised my love of cinema and episodic telly.

You can subscribe on Spotify, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts and lots more or add the RSS feed. Click through to see where the show is available.

The first episode is about Squid Game, of course! Have a listen, subscribe and let me know what you think.

https://kbotak.buzzsprout.com/1864953
I’m already sold on the idea!

Offering my suggestions but I’d recommend save the green planet as well as looking forward to the inevitable a bittersweet life episode.

Fun fact but I watched Save the Green Planet at a video BANG in London which turned out to be a tiny room filled with pillows and a small tv with a DVD player. I’d already seen the film but was a unique experience for my friends who were watching it for the first time. Apparently it’s being remade with the original director but as an English language version. I’d don’t understand why anyone would do this but it feels like if it was released now it would be huge.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Simonsloth wrote: October 8th, 2021, 12:37 amI’m already sold on the idea!

Offering my suggestions but I’d recommend save the green planet as well as looking forward to the inevitable a bittersweet life episode.

Fun fact but I watched Save the Green Planet at a video BANG in London which turned out to be a tiny room filled with pillows and a small tv with a DVD player. I’d already seen the film but was a unique experience for my friends who were watching it for the first time. Apparently it’s being remade with the original director but as an English language version. I’d don’t understand why anyone would do this but it feels like if it was released now it would be huge.
Thanks man! Yeah tons of classics to get round to. A Bittersweet Life is Lee Byung-hun in a gangster film, how can I not watch it!

I think I'll reserve my feelings on pointless Hollywood remakes of Asian cinema classics, at least for the time being... Trying to keep the podcast positive!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Jon Cheetham wrote: October 8th, 2021, 2:34 am
Simonsloth wrote: October 8th, 2021, 12:37 amI’m already sold on the idea!

Thanks man! Yeah tons of classics to get round to. A Bittersweet Life is Lee Byung-hun in a gangster film, how can I not watch it!

I think I'll reserve my feelings on pointless Hollywood remakes of Asian cinema classics, at least for the time being... Trying to keep the podcast positive!
Listened on the way to work and thought you did really well to cover Squid Game without spoiling it. Do you have a running order for next few shows?

I also love Joint Security Area and memories of murder as well as the more obvious train to busan and Old Boy.

So many amazing films.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Simonsloth wrote: October 8th, 2021, 12:26 pm Listened on the way to work and thought you did really well to cover Squid Game without spoiling it. Do you have a running order for next few shows?

I also love Joint Security Area and memories of murder as well as the more obvious train to busan and Old Boy.

So many amazing films.
Thanks so much, glad you liked it! Good feedback on spoilers as I'm very nervous about spoiling things. A few episodes in I've started having a dedicated spoiler section at the end.

My wife came up with a brilliant idea for classics like Train to Busan and JSA, which is to record ten mins, then rewatch the film and do the other half of the ep.

I should do a running order eh? Inspired by you I have posted it on Twitter! https://twitter.com/kbotakpod/status/14 ... bW0Dw&s=19

Seo Bok episode is already out btw, really good melancholy sci fi drama with the ineffable Gong Yoo of Train to Busan fame: https://kbotak.buzzsprout.com/1864953/9 ... i-fi-movie
Cornelius_Smiff

Me and my friends have just dropped a brand new podcast. About dating!

Drop us a like, follow or subscribe (if you are so inclined). It is much appreciated.

Main Podbean Page: https://anotherdatingpodcast.podbean.com/

RSS Feed: https://feed.podbean.com/anotherdatingpodcast/feed.xml
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/6dkUlNnmKnV7MN7qlJktsS
Amazon Music: https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/e84df ... f71fed1b9e
iTunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/a ... 1591028600
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Nice, I will give this a listen as I am desperate for help on the dating scene. Not so much the dates themselves, it's getting to the point of a date in the first place. I have had no success on both the free and paid dating apps and it's a real confidence destroyer when you try your best and never get any replies.
Cornelius_Smiff

Truk_Kurt wrote: October 20th, 2021, 9:39 am Nice, I will give this a listen as I am desperate for help on the dating scene. Not so much the dates themselves, it's getting to the point of a date in the first place. I have had no success on both the free and paid dating apps and it's a real confidence destroyer when you try your best and never get any replies.

I am not currently dating myself, but I have a myriad of experiences over the years (some positive, some not so), so ask away.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

For a start I would ask for tips on what to write on your profile to attract attention. I'm honest with what my interests are. Also when I message someone what should be my opening line, I always try to pick out something from their profile to comment on which I have read is the right approach to take rather than just saying something like 'Hi'. In the situation where I do get a reply, I always try to entice conversation by asking questions which could lead to discussion but more often than not they will reply with answers which are just quite very short and make it a struggle to have a natural conversation so I have to ask them something else. And then it just feels like I'm interrogating them.
For example at the weekend I asked this girl I was talking to how the match she attended went, and she just replies with 'Yes it was good'.
Cornelius_Smiff

Best advice I can give is to play it by ear and sometimes that completely self defeating I know. Profile writing is a balancing act. Don't write a novel but don't keep it too sparse. Get a few of your friends together to write your profile and make it clear they wrote it. It's an interesting take, and may or may not be unique enough to work.

Your initial approach is spot on, but here is the heartbreaking fact about dating sites in general. Women very rarely reply and this is simply down to the sheer number of messages they will get (often overwhelmingly creepy or weird depending on the platform). First step isn't to deem this as a result or indeed the quality of your message.

If you get the short answers, this can be daunting but this is also a by product of what I said above... They probably had to sift through 40 messages before or after yours. Also, it could be their way of seeing if you can bring some banter/conversation. I have been in this state numerous times and my go to was to just keep messaging maybe to push some elaboration .. "Oh good eh? I am guessing they won?" a lame example I know but you see my meaning? It's pushing forward. Also do not be afraid to ask cliche questions that feel like interrogation. Although they are cliche, it is an expectation for most messaging exchanges on dating sites/apps and merely serves as an ice breaker.

I've found in numerous instances, if is someone interesting to me or vice versa it will open up eventually, you just keep it flowing by which stage you have probably become more than just a message for them to reply to.

(sorry mods I know this is self promotion, hope you dont mind)
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Thanks for the advice Cornelius. I will keep all the above in mind.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Cornelius_Smiff wrote: October 20th, 2021, 12:32 pm (sorry mods I know this is self promotion, hope you dont mine)
Seems like a perfect fit to be honest!
:)
Cornelius_Smiff

ratsoalbion wrote: October 20th, 2021, 3:21 pm
Cornelius_Smiff wrote: October 20th, 2021, 12:32 pm (sorry mods I know this is self promotion, hope you dont mine)
Sorry I meant to say I know the section is self promotion, and im here giving random advice :D
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Cornelius_Smiff wrote: October 20th, 2021, 3:52 pm
ratsoalbion wrote: October 20th, 2021, 3:21 pm
Sorry I meant to say I know the section is self promotion, and im here giving random advice :D
I got you. What I'm saying is that, in a way, a thread called "self-promotion" is the ideal repository for dating advice!
:D