Shameless Self Promotion

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

Re: Shameless Self Promotion

Post by Alex79 »

Nice! Pointless me entering though, as much to my regret I don't currently own a turntable and have a stack of vinyl that has been begging me to play it again for years :(

Anyway, since this is a shameless plug thread, I thought I'd post a band video from a festival we played last weekend. First gig with the new singer.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

clippa wrote: July 3rd, 2019, 5:34 am The dude abides :)

Posting this before I sober up and think better of it. A light tugging of Kate Bush's pigtails.

Don't Kill The Horses (You Did)
I like this! Have you done other stuff? What is your role in this? Production etc?
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

I've already posted above about my short stories on Archive Of Our Own - for those who aren't Critical Role fans (which make up the bulk of my works there), I've just uploaded something that is much more on the spy drama genre and with no direct links to any existing works (except for one esoteric shout out ...)

I'd welcome any thoughts on the style or the content - trying out something new

https://archiveofourown.org/works/19860643
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Side question: if I wanted to start watching critical role, should I just go right from the beginning, or is there a ‘here is a good place to start because the format is more nailed down and it’s more representative’. ?
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Honestly, I'd start from the beginning of campaign one - at least part of the appeal of CR is the interaction in - and out - of character by the cast and how that develops. You can skip most the end of the early episodes when they move over to opening gifts/letters from fans or that ended as dance parties and can also skip episode 12 entirely.
Go into this accepting that there is a lot of content to go through - each episode is 3-5 hours long so it is a time commitment but one that I think is worth making

To note, I started watching several months in and have only been watching two-three episodes a week so I'm routinely behind - I have been catching up slowly and I accept that spoilers are a thing

All worth it ...
Kacey

Post by Kacey »

I reviewed OutRun 2- a game I consider to be the perfect sequel to the original. I'm really proud of this video and I think I made some thought provoking points about the challenges facing reboots and what makes OutRun 2 so good. I'd appreciate if some of y'all would give it a look

Ray

Post by Ray »

I took a look, but stopped watching after the 3rd ad in first less than ten minutes (around one ad per 3 minutes, no thanks). Anyway, what I managed to see was not bad at all. I felt the quick cuts (near the beginning, where you talk about other games) are too fast / abrupt.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’m on the opposite side of the fence to clippa. I think YouTube has enough opinion to last a lifetime so some objectivity and history is more than welcome.

I do agree that the quick cuts at the beginning were a bit too quick and personally turning your enthusiasm up a fraction would make it more likely to come back for your next vid.

I enjoyed it overall though and let me know when your next one is out.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I’m guessing clippa doesn’t listen to our podcasts.
😆
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

clippa wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 3:36 pm As much as I like outrun, there's not a lot to say about it.
Ha, you definitely don’t listen to our podcasts.
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 11:48 am I’m guessing clippa doesn’t listen to our podcasts.
Ooofff, check Leon with the pre-season boot to the dick 😄.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I’m only pulling plonkers.
😆
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Suits wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 4:02 pm
ratsoalbion wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 11:48 am I’m guessing clippa doesn’t listen to our podcasts.
Ooofff, check Leon with the pre-season boot to the dick 😄.
The real season has already started ;)
Suits

Post by Suits »

It did, - hell of a game that Luton Boro game 😳.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I work at a library and we have a weekly podcast called the All the Books Show. This week, we talked about music we listen to while we read and I did a few supplement episodes.

One is an interview with Larry Oji of Overclocked Remix about the website and it's history...
https://soundcloud.com/allthebooks/off- ... -larry-oji

The other is a playlist episode of Overclocked Remix tracks...
https://soundcloud.com/allthebooks/an-o ... x-playlist

Both were a lot of fun to do.
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

Hey, I thought Three Kind Words had ended because you didn't post a new episode for a month or so. How are you doing with listeners? I've listened to a couple of episodes but only listen to ones for films I've actually seen or have a strong interest thing (same thing with Cane and Rinse really) but keep hoping a new episode will pop up on a film I am interested in.

Hope you keep on going.
Kacey

Post by Kacey »

Got busy with some urgent life stuff and din't get to check for a response- wow, guys, thanks for the feedback. Not used to getting genuine responses on my stuff most places.
Ray wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 4:52 am I took a look, but stopped watching after the 3rd ad in first less than ten minutes (around one ad per 3 minutes, no thanks). Anyway, what I managed to see was not bad at all. I felt the quick cuts (near the beginning, where you talk about other games) are too fast / abrupt.
Wha? This is news to me. Does anyone know if there's a setting I overlooked by chance that might have ramped up the advertisement quantity? I had no idea how many ads YouTube serves.

EDIT: Apparently allowing YouTube to automatically place midroll ads means that sometimes, it will do exactly that. I've decided to just straight up disable monetization on just about all my videos and all of my content going forward until such a time that I feel like I've earned it. I'd rather make content people enjoy watching and have them actually watch it than rake in the 10 cents per video.

Thanks for the other feedback. The video was a bit longer and I'm definitely looking to pare it down a bit (and have in my newer video) and having a narrower focus will hopefully mean less abrupt cutting.
clippa wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 5:41 am Yeah, I've got adblock enabled but I only got halfway through too. It feels like you're just dryly relaying facts. You've clearly done your research but it doesn't feel like you've found your voice.
It's tight and focused, but I'd much rather hear you relaxed, waxing lyrical or joking around than just giving me a history lesson. I didn't find it entertaining, I'm sure you'd rather I was honest than just giving you an empty slap on the back.
Absolutely prefer the honest feedback. Duly noted. Looking back at that video in retrospect I got really carried away with the prefacing history of the game. I'm an incredibly wordy writer- I write like I have an hour when I really only have about ten minutes. I've been working hard at paring it down- originally that video was twice the length- but seems I need to do a bit more.
Simonsloth wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 11:31 am I’m on the opposite side of the fence to clippa. I think YouTube has enough opinion to last a lifetime so some objectivity and history is more than welcome.

I do agree that the quick cuts at the beginning were a bit too quick and personally turning your enthusiasm up a fraction would make it more likely to come back for your next vid.

I enjoyed it overall though and let me know when your next one is out.
Duly noted on the cuts. I was trying to follow the example of some prolific content creators who keep their cuts tight, fast and fluid but got a little heavy handed in my attempt to avoid letting the screen get stale. I am working on striking that balance between the humor and the history- I think I was a bit funnier in my new video but if people think there's room for more humor, I'll definitely take that into account- my next video is going to be about one of the worst games I've played in years, so there'll be plenty of humor there.

Anyways, the new video is out-please let me know if you guys have any more suggestions for improving it :)

edit: man this youtube embedder is picky
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

FemalePheromones wrote: August 12th, 2019, 7:14 am Hey, I thought Three Kind Words had ended because you didn't post a new episode for a month or so. How are you doing with listeners? I've listened to a couple of episodes but only listen to ones for films I've actually seen or have a strong interest thing (same thing with Cane and Rinse really) but keep hoping a new episode will pop up on a film I am interested in.

Hope you keep on going.
A whole bunch of stuff came up few a few weeks, so all three of my shows got delayed, but they're back on schedule (Three Nice Things just did Son of the Mask, which was...the worst)

We have Batman and Robin, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and Season of the Witch planned for the next few.

Thanks for asking! And listening!
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

Ah man I'm definitely up for the first 2!

As for SotW I'm actually going to be doing that on my own podcast (that I'm not ready to properly announce yet) soon so will save that until after I've seen it.
Kacey

Post by Kacey »

clippa wrote: August 14th, 2019, 12:48 am
Kacey wrote: August 12th, 2019, 8:57 amAnyways, the new video is out
That was loads better! I enjoyed that and didn't get bored!
There's definitely something about games like that running on limited hardware, the low framerate and janky look can all add up to a really unique feeling, games like that can have a great atmosphere about them.

I love that in this modern gaming era of 4k bells and whistles there are still people interested in imposing limitation on themselves and seeing where that takes them creatively, people making games for old hardware like firelancer on the wonderswan, or people making games on those fantasy consoles and stuff like ufo 50.
Super glad you enjoyed it! this is more in line with what most of my content will be about/like. the next one is definitely gonna have a much funnier tinge to it as I'm reviewing an awful game.

purposefully underpowered shit is neat- Have you seen Teenage Engineering and Panic's newest little handheld?