Other podcast recommendations

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

Re: Other podcast recommendations

Post by Alex79 »

It is a bit sad that I genuinely felt a bit annoyed I'd clicked that spoiler before finishing listening to the show.

A spoiler for a podcast.

:lol:
Suits

Post by Suits »

I thought that Dave Turner dealt with what can only be described as a nightmare for Podcast Feedback, rather well, in this weeks TGCS.

I for one very much dislike the approach of Argumentative Radio, or that proposed style of comedy - I much prefer enthusiastic, insightful conversation. Not that I'd ever complain directly to the Podcast about it, that's their style, I simply stop listening when I feel frustrated by it. Which I do often.

I did listen to last weeks episode and it was over the line, I wasn't shocked myself but I understand that people spoke out about it. The rest of the show was good I thought - which just confirmed to me personally that it was all a bad, over-baked joke/persona.

It was silly and rude and very personal.

Anyway, I though he was very humble about it all. It seemed honest, sincere and heartfelt. Good on him.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Taking a break from TCGS for a bit any other game podcasts you can recommend?.

I do have every sound of play to listen to though so I am looking forward to getting stuck into them. Bizarre I have not really delved in seen as I love videogame music so much!
Suits

Post by Suits »

DomsBeard wrote: July 18th, 2018, 11:22 am I do have every sound of play to listen to though so I am looking forward to getting stuck into them. Bizarre I have not really delved in seen as I love videogame music so much!
SoP often catches me off guard with how much I enjoy it.

People I recommend it too are sometimes put off by its premise, as they don't think they enjoy computer game music/discussion enough to listen to a podcast about it. They soon find out its versatility.

I think it's a more palatable podcast sometimes when you just want to relax and perhaps focus less on the conversation.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I echo Suits’ sentiments!

To listen to SoP is to love it. I wish more CaR listeners would give it a chance.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I know where I go wrong I always start listening then think about what I would recommend then go to youtube and listen to that. Looking forward to ploughing through them and throwing in my recommendatiosn
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I must admit, although I listen to almost all of the main episodes, I've only ever listened to a handful of Sound Of Play's. I will make a considered effort to listen more!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Just my two cents, but SoP is fantastic for long distance running. There is always a new unheard track around the corner to keep things fresh and it's not that big of a deal if one misses out on a bit of dialogue or two.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

CHARMING.
😆
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Forgot to add I love the Patreon minicast each month and worth $1 minimum and then some
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Thanks Dom.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Now that I work from home I have been smashing through quite a lot of podcasts.

WTF with Marc Maron, which I'm sure has probably been mentioned before. Really insightful and human conversation with actors, comedians and writers. I finally got around to it when I realised he was the same guy from GLOW.

Spontaneanation with Paul F. Tompkins. That man can improv a monologue like no one else. He has a free form conversation with a special guest (triggered by a blind question from a previous guest) and then has an improv session with a bunch of fellow improv artists inspired by the earlier conversation. It's some of the purest comedy out there and always makes me cackle.

Comedy Bang Bang is a similar setup. Scott Auckerman has a conversation with a guest that normally quickly devolves into madness, as his open-door policy allows a whole bunch of insane characters to drop by, as played by a whole bunch of different comedians. It's daft improv comedy that tickles my funny bone. Also features the last known performance of Harris Wittels, one of the lead writers of Parks & Rec and all round hilarious guy who left us too soon.

Finally, another shout out to Mission to Zyxx which continues to be a hilarious sci-fi serial improvised as they go, but always remaining true and consistent to what has gone before so that they can build a bizarre but engaging sci-fi universe.

Improv comedy podcasts are my new obsession, it seems.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Does anyone on hear listen to IGN's NVC (Nintendo Voice Chat) ??

It's fallen a long way from it's older Jose Otero days but I still religiously listen to it as soon as it's up.

The new host Filip Miucen has taken a long time to warm up to the podcast I feel and even after a year doesn't seem like a natural leader for the show.

The shy and seemingly quiet host has now been caught up in a plagiarism row, where it appears that his Dead Cells review has more than a few almost identical phrases of text from a video review of the same game two weeks prior.

As you can imagine, the internet is calling for his head on a stick at the moment.

IGN have since removed the review with a note saying it's under investigation.

Here's the article pointing out the similarities of the review.

https://www.spieltimes.com/news/igns-de ... giarisied/

Serious stuff.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I am still smashing my way through Sounds Of Play, up to episode 30 so far. The halloween show was brilliant and I would also like to know if Mr Gargette was wearing underwear in issue 28? :D
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I used to be a big fan of the Official UK PlayStation Magazine podcast, until it suddenly stopped last year without any warning. Well, its back!

Now, I am under no illusion that podcasting is easy. I wouldn't be able to do it, and I have the utmost respect for anyone giving it a try.

But this is awful. It's an entirely new team of people who, judging by the magazine, are good writers, but really not comfortable on mic. It feels like a they've been asked to do a podcast for the mag, rather than people who really enjoy doing it. Lots of awkward pauses and nervous laughs, and dreadful attempts to say something funny.

I'm hoping they settle in to the show and find their feet, and I'll stick with it a while, but it really was quite an ordeal to listen to!
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Maybe they just need a decent editor to tidy the thing up and excise the crap?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah partly that, because some of the content wasn't bad, they just sound really uncomfortable on the mic. That should improve with time though, I imagine.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Stanshall wrote: May 25th, 2018, 9:45 pm I've been enjoying Amigarama a lot recently. The Amiga was perhaps the first giant technological leap forward for me. I can remember playing games for an long as I remember being alive (on CPC464) but the Amiga was the first time I was amazed and became obsessed. I've almost no interest in playing any Amiga games now, but I enjoy the nostalgia and finding out details I never knew which now interest me.
(Edit:whoops! I blame apple autocorrect)

Does it get better?

I’m listening to the early episodes( and maybe cane and rinse has spoiled me) but the frequent inaccuracies and lack of preparation is off putting.

It has so much potential but I’m actually getting annoyed by the missed opportunity. He does apologise frequently in case he is making mistakes but it’s frustrating.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Who and Rinse?!
:D
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Yes, perhaps Simon might be abel to elucidate.
Spoiler: show
...I'm so sorry! :lol: