Other podcast recommendations

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
FemalePheromones

Re: Other podcast recommendations

Post by FemalePheromones »

duskvstweak wrote: September 25th, 2019, 6:56 pm http://threenicethings.libsyn.com/
We say nice things about bad movies!
I can vouch for this one. It's good fun!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've made a similar point before but I think the C&R Patreon entry level undervalued the 'product', to be frank, and it's unrealistic in my opinion that the majority of listeners will ever choose to contribute to any Patreon, or certainly not without access to more content or tier rewards.

I also believe that the C&R slightly older enthusiast kind of audience is passionate enough to support at $5 entry level (or maybe even just double to $2). I know it's a judgement call and I know that Jay previously replied to my point saying that the focus was accessibility and a low barrier of entry but - without being rude - there's very little motivation for anyone to contribute at all besides goodwill. If you're in the habit of listening to one episode a week, it makes little difference when you get your episode.

To go back to the WOFF/duckfeed lads, they brought back Bonfireside Chat as a Patreon-only show for Sekiro. I found that pretty fucking painful to be honest because I 'supported'/recommended them for ages when it was free but they've every right to do that and it prompted me to cough up. I've had hours and hours from them for nothing. I see they've also recently kept some of the most popular WOFF shows behind a paywall (e.g. HL2 recently). While that also irked me at first, they have to encourage subs some way and sure enough, I subbed for the their 'premium' content.

It's never going to be my place to suggest anything whatsoever so I hope I'm not crossing the mark, but I really do love this show and I really enjoy being part of this community and I find it a real shame that you're not yet appropriately compensated for the quality and time and effort you and your team put in. Don't sell yourselves short, basically. You're brilliant.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

ThirdMan wrote: September 25th, 2019, 7:06 pm Thanks, guys. Books, movies and comics. You know me so well!
You got to go and make a Criterion Collection podcast now!
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

duskvstweak wrote: September 25th, 2019, 7:16 pm
ThirdMan wrote: September 25th, 2019, 7:06 pm Thanks, guys. Books, movies and comics. You know me so well!
You got to go and make a Criterion Collection podcast now!
At least he knows he will have 2 listeners.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Can anyone recommend any good British gaming podcasts other than CaR and TCGS? I've got nothing against American podcasts, but I have a couple already and just prefer the tone and delivery of UK ones. I wish Midnight Resistance and Chet and Jon's were still going.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Final Games - basically desert island games
Gameburst
Electronic Wireless (RPS) podcast
BitSocket
Spawnpoint

I listen to all the above. Admittedly none of them hold a candle to Cane and Rinse but they have their own merits.

BitSocket is silly and fun with regular features. I end up in stitches and it is very fun!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks! Yeah Final Games was good. Unfortunately Liam doesn't seem to have put out a show in several months though :(

I'll check out the others, ta.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: September 26th, 2019, 6:12 pm Can anyone recommend any good British gaming podcasts other than CaR and TCGS? I've got nothing against American podcasts, but I have a couple already and just prefer the tone and delivery of UK ones. I wish Midnight Resistance and Chet and Jon's were still going.
If you're looking for board games, Shut Up and Sit Down is always good.
And Rock Paper Shotgun has a podcast, though I haven't listened to it.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: September 26th, 2019, 8:14 pm Thanks! Yeah Final Games was good. Unfortunately Liam doesn't seem to have put out a show in several months though :(

I'll check out the others, ta.
Also Level-Clear is quite good. Leon has made a guest appearance on that podcast too so even more reason to listen. If I’m honest it’s leaning more in the TCGS direction but I’m not as yet invested in the team as much.
Suits

Post by Suits »

The stuff "the other's" over at TGCS are getting up to with their GOTY stuff on Twitter is excellent isn't it :lol: .
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been listening to a good one - You're Dead To Me from the BBC. It's a history podcast usually with the host, one expert and one comedian. Think of the Infinite Monkey Cage, but with history rather than science. They did a really interesting episode of pirates. They've done the witch trials, vikings, loads of stuff. Recommended.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Suits wrote: December 13th, 2019, 9:49 am The stuff "the other's" over at TGCS are getting up to with their GOTY stuff on Twitter is excellent isn't it :lol: .
Yeah it’s great fun. First time I listened was GOTY show a few years back and I genuinely thought they were bullying Mat. Now I know the score it’s really funny as they all wind each other up.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I started listening to Brain Cigar, a podcast by Peter Baynham and his pal/long time writing partner, Jez Simmonds. Fans of 90s comedy will have undoubtedly heard Baynham's work on the likes of Brass Eye, The Day Today, Alan Partridge and Lee & Herring's Fist Of Fun. This podcast is Peter and Jez talking, but I don't really want to spoil any more than that. It's good, seems to be one series available, so hopefully they're planning some more.
Cornelius_Smiff

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

The Attitude Era Podcast - Incredibly entertaining wrestling podcast where 3 friends initially look at back every Attitude Era PPV, but have moved onto other time periods since. Their content is truly amazing and laigh out loud funny. The main presenter also hosts How2Wrestling and Cinema Swirl, which are also very very good. The Patreon content is also top notch.

Critical Role - I also do watch the YouTube show, but prefer to consume it via Podcast. Not sure why I waited so long, because it's fascinating .
Seph

Post by Seph »

For anyone who's a fan of short horror stories and long form storytelling, give Magnus Archives a go. It's basically the "man reads statement from 'real person' but it's really just a horror story" trope, but done at a level I've never heard before. The world building is incredible, and even though it's 200 episodes long, the relistens pay off once you realise what's going on in the meta story and you can see how the doors were being connected even in the early episodes. It helps that the guy who wrote it plotted the whole thing before he started, so he knew exactly where to go instead of making it up as he went along. That way you can sow seeds for story and character development naturally.

I also recommend a film podcast called We Hate Movies. With a name like that it sounds like the usual bunch of neckbeards who complain about black people being cast in comic book films, but it's the complete opposite. It's genuinely funny and warming, basically listening in on long time friends talking shit about films and finding clever ways to make jokes about them. It also helps that they're incredibly knowledgeable about the subject. They also talk about films they like on their Patreon in a funny way too. Their episodes on Mrs Doubtfire and Street Fighter are my go to things when I'm struggling to sleep.