Other podcast recommendations

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
The_Rooster

Re: Other podcast recommendations

Post by The_Rooster »

For fans of the legendary podcast Joypod it seems David Turners, Sean Bell, Matt Murray and James Farley have joined back up to create 'The Computer Game Show'

Literally stumbled upon this by chance and it was only just released today! Yippee!!!
Alex79

Re: Other podcast recommendations ?

Post by Alex79 »

Fuck yeah! Awesome!! That's made my day.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I listened to a couple of old Joypods last week...spooky!
Great news!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Thank you for the Hardcore History recommendation, James & Josh! I've listened to most Cane and Rinse episodes too and was looking for something else to listen to while working and this doesn't disappoint!
KYUSS

Post by KYUSS »

Try The Parapod if you want a very funny podcast about the supernatural and mysterious.

I love The Detective podcast. True crime at its best.

Lore a very slick and polished podcast about murder, rituals and real life horror and mysteries.

Film Junk is probably the best movie podcast out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lessthantv

Post by lessthantv »

Nothing to do with video games, but i'm quite enjoying The Black Tapes, it's a kinda paranormal docu-drama thing, but really well done.
Also from Pacific Northwest Stories, Tanis is pretty good too, but that one has more of a conspiracy theory angle to it.
Tleprie

Post by Tleprie »

I've been listening to Kinda Funny's Game Over Greggy podcast.

It generally has the same four hosts, with occasional guests, and they talk about a wide range of topics, from the silly (Favorite color, stories about rabid raccoons) to serious (gun violence, racism, political correctness). Most topics lie somewhere in between, but they dedicate themselves to every topic, treating it with the appropriate level of respect and engagement.

All of the hosts are entertaining and each bring something different in terms of knowledge, style of humor, and thought processes.

I started with their most recent episode and have been working backwards. Haven't found a bad episode yet. Some deal with the current events at the time of recording, but the discussion is still relevant and interesting.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Seconding The Computer Game Show, often funny and always engaging even when I have no interest in the games discussed.

And related to that, as mentioned by Josh on page one, Dark Calls was my #1 podcast of last year. I know you would get a lot more out of it as a fan of Dark Souls but it's ultimately about the dynamic between David Turners and James Farley, which often descends into 'dad chat' and pisstaking. In between, there's James' account of his progress through Dark Souls and David's frequently inaccurate 'help'. The two lore episodes with Sean Bell and Andy Hamilton from Midnight Resistance are a lot of fun, too, and echo the dynamic and tone of The Computer Game Show at times. Ultimately, I also found it strangely moving, as I think they did. 100% recommend.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah, loved Dark Calls.

Two I've recently discovered are Final Games and Daft Souls.

Final games is basically desert island discs with games, featuring industry guests, and Daft Souls is a general video game podcast from Matt Lees and pals. Both seem good so far.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Yeah, really enjoying Final Games when I'm in the mood, and when the guest is more in my area, so to speak. The Rich Stanton ep was particularly good. On a side note, I'm not entirely sure why he doesn't do more podcasts, like at least Bonfireside Chat or something. He's a prickly character at times, can be rather dismissive, but he's always passionate and often very insightful.
macstat

Post by macstat »

For last couple of days i've been binge-listening Bithell Games Podcast podcast (he/they did Thomas was alone and Volume). Podcast hosts are Mike Bithell (shocker am i right? ;) ) and Alexander Sliwinski (COO of Bithell Games, also known as Mike Bithells american ;) ). Its a realy great mix of lighthearted fun talk between two friends, and thoughtful insight into ins and out of developer studio. About half of episodes had guests, but what makes it unique is that they dont just get other devs, but people like lawyer or concept artist. That gives really unique insight in game development. Reader mail section is also very strong. So far i listened to a little over 20 episodes and questions were always very interesting (usually "how a certain thing in game development works" and not "what is your favorite peanut butter brand" ;) ).
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Stanshall wrote:Yeah, really enjoying Final Games when I'm in the mood
The only negative about Final Games is that the host (Liam Edwards?) has an awful habit of interrupting his guests and just totally cutting them off half way through a story to relay an anecdote or personal memory of his own. It can be really frustrating at times. Other than that it's great!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I completely agree. If he chipped in with some interesting esoteric detail I wouldn't mind, and I appreciate that he needs to put games in context for unfamiliar listeners but he has a tendency to interrupt with the more broad, generic comments or as you say, just something that happened when he was playing. I think it's a question of good hosting technique and etiquette to make sure the guest is the focus, with a show like this. I don't want to be too critical because I enjoy the show, I like his enthusiasm and think it's a solid, enduring concept, just hope he'll develop a bit as a host.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

(I like Liam Edwards a lot, but I also agree with this.)
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Don't know if anyone here is into their Hip Hop like I am, but The Combat Jack Show has been essential listening in the past few years in that department. Deep, hours long interviews with those that contribute(d) to the culture, filled with history and never-heard-before stories. There are a bunch more podcasts like it sprouting recently and the show has ran out of steam a bit, but then there's great episodes like this one featuring Ed Lover of Yo! MTV Raps fame:

https://soundcloud.com/thecombatjacksho ... g-ed-lover
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Thread rising from the grave here but really enjoyed Leon letting his hair down on this week's Computer Game Show. "Low quality bantercast" had me howling.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Thanks, it was fun to be a sarcy twat.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Also great to hear a bit of behind the scenes C&R info as I'd wondered about Darren Forman a few times; his voice was quite a striking feature of the first episodes I listened to, just over a year ago. Glad there was never any fall out and hope he's still involved in some gaming stuff, really good contributions to the Souls episodes. Sorry to hear about Ryan leaving, though, but sounds like he's got good reason and something exciting ahead. Good luck to hin, always comes across as an intelligent and considerate guy.

Right, I'll put the trumpet away now.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I always wondered where Darren had gone too! Great episode, good to hear Leon on another show (the Pixels episode was a good listen as well).
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

same here really enjoyed the computergame podcast with Leon on it. would love to know if you appear on any other podcast! and always love to know more about the behind the scenes stuff wether on youtube podcast offcuts or on other podcasts :D