Other podcast recommendations

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Other podcast recommendations

Post by ratsoalbion »

😭
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I have amended my massive whopper of an error. I understand if this is grounds for exclusion from the forum;)

I blame typing on an iPhone on a busy train so Apple autocorrect got the better of me.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I'll let it slide just this once.
;)
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I have to say that I'm quite a big fan of Gareth Dutton's Making Games is Fun podcast. It's one of those 'casts that make me want to up our own game since it's so good in what it does, which is a series of interviews with developers and others from within the industry.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Fortunate then we have The Sausage Factory incoming!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Season Three of Serial has begun, it's a few weeks in now. If you're anything like most people, you loved season one, but bailed on season two. Just like me.

Anyway, season three is something different. It's a week by week look at the American justice system. They spent an entire year in a Cleveland court, and reported on what they found. I've only listened to the first episode but found it really interesting. Hope it keeps it up.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: October 8th, 2018, 7:41 pm Season Three of Serial has begun, it's a few weeks in now. If you're anything like most people, you loved season one, but bailed on season two. Just like me.

Anyway, season three is something different. It's a week by week look at the American justice system. They spent an entire year in a Cleveland court, and reported on what they found. I've only listened to the first episode but found it really interesting. Hope it keeps it up.
This is really good! Anyone listening? It's fascinating. I was unsure it would be as interesting being a different thing each week, but those worries really went away after even the first episode.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

God, how depressing is it? :lol:

I enjoyed both earlier series but didn't listen till the end.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I tend to shy away from most game related podcasts unless they're made by developers themselves (the now defunct Game Factory podcast from Moo Yoo, Andrew Smith and Mike Bithell was a particular favourite). Recently I've been listening to The AIAS Game Maker's Notebook, which is a podcast featuring a series of in-depth, one-on-one conversations between game makers hosted for the most part by Ted Price, Founder & CEO of Insomniac Games and recently by co-founder of Funomena Robin Hunicke.

Genuinely fascinating conversations throughout but I found the one with one of the co-founders of Naughty Dog and now VP of Content at Oculus a particular highlight.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

I have recently dived into the McElroy family's podcasting empire, and in my usual fashion I have absorbed about 500 episodes in the space of 5 months.

Their live-play DnD podcast The Adventure Zone is incredible. The Balance arc is DnD-lite, and evolves from a goofy improv comedy to one of the most genuinely satisfying pieces of fiction I've consumed in years. They've moved on to a Monster of the Week system involving strange occurrences in small-town West Virginia, giving the whole thing a great Buffy / Stranger Things vibe albeit with more slapstick.

My Brother, my Brother and Me is just a hilarious delight, a fake advice show with a surprising amount of good advice. And Sawbones is a fascinating and funny look at the strange things humanity has done in the name of medicine over the millennia.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been listening to Off Menu, which is a podcast with James Acaster, where different celebrities describe their perfect meal. Sounds shit, but it works! It's actually pretty good.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Friends of the show: https://caneandrinse.com/sop-65/

I don’t mind admitting that I am envious of their Patreon, as I sit here typing this at one of my poorly paid day jobs!

Some day we’ll get there, perhaps.
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

The thing with WOFF is that they are very non-serious and have a bit of a laugh making it almost morr of a comedy podcast where as CAR I look as as more of an encyclopedia of information for each game.

They are both good in different ways but because of that I don't think they take away from one another. I still listen to both and even episodes from both on the same game.

It's also worth noting their Abject Suffering podcast in case people aren't aware of it in which they play known-to-be-bad games which gives you a different perspective and usually on games you would never have played.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

ThirdMan, it’s hard not to sound bitter while doing so... but I agree with pretty much every word you say!

It’s a tough thing to talk about because, as you say, we really do appreciate all those of you who give that buck a month (or generously more), but life would be so much easier - and the show would be so much better - if everyone who ever downloaded the show gave just a dollar a month.

Fortunately, we started doing it for the love and we intend to continue doing so, but I can’t pretend it’s not galling at times to see that so many relatively low effort/low quality productions are comparatively rolling in dough!

As regards to American listeners, I don’t have numbers but I feel we do OK across the pond (we have multiple US contributors too of course). I suspect that we get more downloads from the US, and around the world in general than something like the very white, very male, very British TCGS.

That’s not a diss on them at all by the way - they’re dear old friends, just to highlight that although we know there’s a lot of overlap in our audiences, there’s also a big part of the Venn diagram that’s exclusive to each podcast.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Sure, just as ours is most definitely not for all of their listeners!
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

I got into C&R because a film podcast I listen to did an episode on games, I decided I wanted more so I found an article that recommended C&R and have been listening ever since. I never got on with most video game media I came across, I felt like there wasn't much for me. I say this because I was obviously wrong and I reckon there are a lot of people like that out there, I know it might sound fanciful but I wouldn't be surprised if the podcast blew up in popularity from the right plug or recommendation. Can only hope!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Speaking of plugs, I found C&R because Filthy Casuals kept mentioning it, and I was listening to them because the Weekly Planet hosted a segment of theirs, and I was listening to that because of a few videos MrSundayMovies had done...

As someone who's got a few podcasts, the process of getting new listeners is excruciating, depressing and, like Leon mentioned, something that brings about jealousy more often than I would like. And, as a fan of C&R, I would love for it to blow up, especially their patron. Plus, selfishly, we'd get more C&R shows.
FemalePheromones

ThirdMan wrote: September 25th, 2019, 5:47 pm
What are your podcasts? I'd like to try them.
If we're shamelessly plugging podcasts you could give mine a go too 😂
FemalePheromones

ThirdMan wrote: September 25th, 2019, 6:11 pm
Cool. What is it?
The Blood Shed. We do horror films.

http://thebloodshed.buzzsprout.com/

We also have a podcast called Slasher Series in which we go through entire series of slasher films starting with the Halloween series.

http://slasherseries.buzzsprout.com/

And a third podcast called Hammercast in which we are going through every horror film from Hammer film productions.

http://hammercast.buzzsprout.com/

All 3 follow the same basic format we just split them up that way to make it easier to find what you are looking for rather than trawling through a massive list of everything.

EDIT: You must have done your edit while i was typing this out. Cheers!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

ThirdMan wrote: September 25th, 2019, 5:47 pm
duskvstweak wrote: September 25th, 2019, 5:37 pm Speaking of plugs, I found C&R because Filthy Casuals kept mentioning it, and I was listening to them because the Weekly Planet hosted a segment of theirs, and I was listening to that because of a few videos MrSundayMovies had done...

As someone who's got a few podcasts, the process of getting new listeners is excruciating, depressing and, like Leon mentioned, something that brings about jealousy more often than I would like. And, as a fan of C&R, I would love for it to blow up, especially their patron. Plus, selfishly, we'd get more C&R shows.
What are your podcasts? I'd like to try them.
Well, I wasn't trying to plug, more relate.

But, I'm not above shameless self promotion either...
http://threenicethings.libsyn.com/
We say nice things about bad movies!
http://isitclassicdoesitrock.libsyn.com/
We go through a band or artist album by album, track by track
http://previously-on-x-men.libsyn.com/
An X-Men podcast!
https://soundcloud.com/allthebooks
My library's (my job) podcast. Book-related (slash-whatever we want to talk about) podcast.