Best band you've discovered from a game

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
skidoosh

Best band you've discovered from a game

Post by skidoosh »

I recently finished Max Payne 3 and grabbed that edition of the podcast. After listening to nearly two hours of how much people loved the music I decided to go and check out the band HEALTH (THEY F**KING LOVE CAPS LOCK) (I do hope CDPR have approached them regarding 2077). They're really good. There's a heavy Pet Shop Boys sound to it with hints of other bands all over the place from dance, trance, prog rock, synth pop to metal.

I was just wondering if anyone else had found and other good bands of the back off games?
Flabyo

Re: Best band you've discovered from a game

Post by Flabyo »

I've bought a fair few albums off hearing tracks in games. Some good, some not so good. Off the top of my head: Tsunami Bomb (used in Disgaea), Go Betty Go (appeared on the soundtrack for one of the Burnout games), Kerli (ditto, man her album is *weird*), Lisa Miskovsky (Mirror's Edge), Poe (Alan Wake).
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Well, they're all logged down for a listen :D I recently got a sub to google play music and there's so much on there!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I got in to Machinochrist after playing DMC.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Does a dedicated composer for the game count? I bought some Disasterpeace albums from BandCamp after the FEZ soundtrack.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Yeah, I'd say so.

In that vein: Anamanaguchi via Scott Pilgrim.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

I'd never really heard of him before despite hearing his music many times but I had a great time jumping into Gustavo Santaolalla's collection of soundtracks after enjoying The Last of Us multiple times, I'm a fan for sure!
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

magicjoef wrote:Does a dedicated composer for the game count? I bought some Disasterpeace albums from BandCamp after the FEZ soundtrack.
When it comes to music... I think anything goes really. I love giving new composers/artists a listen. Been listening to the prodigy all day. Forgot how amazing they are. I got into them because of Wipeout funnily enough :D
Suits

Post by Suits »

Goldfinger - Tony Hawk Pro Skater (first one)

The Heavy - Boarderlands 2 (intro)

Not a band butt....

Yuzo Koshiro - Streets of Rage 2 (all of it)
Craymen Edge

Post by Craymen Edge »

Charles Bradley, on one of the radio stations in Sleeping Dogs. Because it's so different to music you normally hear in a lot of games.

macstat

Post by macstat »

While it's probably not best, but its recent enough i remember it ;) Its Jungle, you might know it from Tales of the Borderlands episode 1 intro. That game had a lot of nice tracks.

brutaldeluxe09

Post by brutaldeluxe09 »

I remember getting into the Future Sound of London thanks to Wipeout 2 soundtrack on the original Playstation and I also got really into Oval thanks to one of the bonus levels on Rez on the PS2. As for original soundtracks there have been so many great examples lately with the rise of the indie scene, my favourite is defiantly doseone, who I was aware of prior to hearing his OST for Samurai Gunn, Heavy Bullets and Orbitalis, but had never listened to before.
lessthantv

Post by lessthantv »

I'd say probably Social Distortion from playing Saints Row 3.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

magicjoef wrote:Does a dedicated composer for the game count? I bought some Disasterpeace albums from BandCamp after the FEZ soundtrack.
The FEZ soundtrack has proudly joined my own music collection too. Just amazing.

While I had "heard of" the band X before GTA V, it wasn't until I heard them on the in-game radio that actively went out and purchased some of their albums. One of the more positive experiences to come out of that game.

And yeah, the music in Sleeping Dogs is definitely one of that games highlights. I did lean very heavily toward the Roadrunner Records station, which made for an interesting experience: heavy metal, undercover cops and Hong Kong.
Styrman

Post by Styrman »

I started listening to Poets of the Fall a lot after playing Max Payne 2. They had a song called "Late Goodbye" featured in the game.

Im not very fond of their latest albums though, but the first one was pretty sweet.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

A lot of the artists who contributed music to the Hotline Miami Soundtracks, in particular Perturbator, Magic Sword, M|O|O|N and Carpenter Brut. Carpenter Brut's album Trilogy is easily my most listened-to album of the year. Insanely catchy synth pop. Outstanding stuff. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

+1 for Perturbator, it's excellent.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

SSX made me like this band after hearing this song snowboarding down a mountain:

Endless listening to Final Fantasy on youtube led me to these guys:

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The Black Mages is Nobuo Uematsu's own band. He plays Hammond organ in it.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

Cage the Elephant. The first Borderlands used their song "Ain't No Rest For the Wicked" and it is, needless to say, fantastic.