Podcast editing

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
JaySevenZero
Admin

Podcast editing

Post by JaySevenZero »

I was having a conversation with someone the other day and the subject of podcasting came up and they mentioned that they used to make a podcast. They seemed surprised by how we go about making ours saying that they used to just record and publish it within an hour of recording.

I'm not dismissing how they went about it, each to their own and all that but whilst there's no wrong or right way in going about it, it's just never been our way to just throw stuff out there. So, during the last edit I recorded the process of editing the first hour of audio for the recent Beyond: Two Souls podcast. In realtime the process took 2 hours and 35 mins or so for the first hour (6 hours in total) but I've sped the video up to get it all in 10mins. I don't know, I just thought some of you may find it interesting to look at how we go about putting a show together?*

*not strictly true, since we three editors all use different software and most likely have a slightly different approach to the process itself, but hey, what can you do!
Beck

Re: Podcast editing

Post by Beck »

That is some level of commitment there guys! I've always found media editing interesting but have little exposure to it, I dabble once a year by making the media rounds for my work quiz night. I considered applying for a course in media when applying for college but took the "safe" choice and ended up going for Computing.

So do you guys record seperately and then send on the recordings to the person who will edit the podcast? I would imagine that is quite difficult to get all the tracks to mainting a set volume throughout the cast.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Beck wrote:So do you guys record seperately and then send on the recordings to the person who will edit the podcast? I would imagine that is quite difficult to get all the tracks to mainting a set volume throughout the cast.
It's not necessarily as hard as you might think (assuming the audio is good quality to begin with). As a standard we each record our audio separately and at a decent resolution (16 bit PCM AIFF) which is then sent to whoever is editing that week. The reason for individual tracks is so that any extraneous noises such as coughs, squeaky chairs, toilets flushing, dogs barking etc. can be removed easily. We then run these through an app called Levelator, which does a reasonable job in balancing the audio levels. The outputted files are then dropped into whatever app we're using to edit. This is where it may change as to whoever is editing but my way is to then edit the audio, cutting out any waffle, overlong pauses, fluffed lines or repetition along with making sure the audio fits within our two hour limit. I'll then export the edited audio into another template where I'll then add the music to finish it off and export it as the final mp3.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Thanks for the insight Jay :)
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

This is why they sound so good :)
macstat

Post by macstat »

Thanks Jay! Since i have no practical knowledge about audio editing It was interesting to see how you do it, as i have no practical knowledge about sound editing. Poor sound quality or lack of editing often puts me off from listening more, fortunately C&R always get a high grade from me in that department.

Out of curiosity. How much audio on average is cut from 2h podcast ?
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

macstat wrote:Out of curiosity. How much audio on average is cut from 2h podcast ?
It can vary somewhat from week to week but I'd say an average of 10-15 minutes, of which 80% is just waffle, as in repetition (reiterating the same point more than once) and fluffed lines (mainly when reading community contributions).
macstat

Post by macstat »

JaySevenZero wrote:It can vary somewhat from week to week
I didn't wanted to ask about standard deviation ;)