The Great CaR Secret Santa 2018!

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
KSubzero1000

The Great CaR Secret Santa 2018!

Post by KSubzero1000 »

With the holiday season almost upon us, I thought it'd be a good idea to organize some sort of Secret Santa for the Cane and Rinse community. For those of you who don't know what that entails, it's a communal event where people exchange presents semi-anonymously, each participant being secretly assigned another member for whom to provide a gift.

You want to participate? Here's how it works: Briefly list your interests in this thread (aside from the obvious, video games) so that your Santa will have some inspiration to draw from later on. Send me a PM containing your address, and you'll be assigned another CaR member on December 1st, at which point all you'll have to do will be to send him or her whichever nice present idea you came up with and wait in anticipation for yours to arrive!

If you're feeling particularly generous towards a specific member, feel free to mention that in your PM as well!

I don't want to set any minimum monetary amount in order to avoid anyone feeling pressured to spend more than they can afford. Go big or go small - it's the thought that counts!

With the rules out of the way, I'll kick things off.

I like tea, animal figurines, nice books and gaming paraphernalia.

PS: This should go without saying, but participation is purely voluntary. Cane and Rinse won't take any responsibility in case of lost parcels, customs delays, return policies, shattered dreams, ensuing blood feuds, etc... The organizers also reserve the right to exclude suspiciously new accounts with shady post histories from participating. With all that said, let's be nice to each other and have fun!
ADumican83

Re: The Great CaR Secret Santa 2017!

Post by ADumican83 »

Has there been much interest in this. Seems like a cool idea.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Sounds like a cool idea - count me in! Whilst not setting a monetary value might seem like a good idea, I think it would be better to have an upper limit simply because I know I would feel really bad sending someone something relatively low value only to receive something significantly more expensive in the post!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ADumican83 wrote: October 22nd, 2017, 9:26 am Has there been much interest in this.
Nope. You two are the first ones, as far as I can tell.
Alex79uk wrote: October 22nd, 2017, 10:00 am Whilst not setting a monetary value might seem like a good idea, I think it would be better to have an upper limit simply because I know I would feel really bad sending someone something relatively low value only to receive something significantly more expensive in the post!
I don't really like the notion of telling people how to manage their finances... I think it should be about finding something to make the other person happy, not min/maxing potential capital loss and revenue. Although I suppose a soft limit would be a decent compromise.

In any case, don't forget to list your interests and to send Leon a PM with your contact details if you do want to participate, guys. :)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I’m in
Suits

Post by Suits »

This could be well fun, I’ll play.

IN
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I'm in as well!

Likes: U.S. underground Hip Hop records, figurines of either Cuphead or Viewtiful Joe, Dark Tower novels, Steam, PSN or eShop voucher codes.

Dislikes: NOT RELEVANT!
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

I'm in too!

Likes: Filling in the abyssal gap in my Nintendo knowledge (everything in Nintendo's history except Pokémon has passed me by), unusual teas, Pokémon memorabilia, sci-fi novels. Gaming-themed socks.

Dislikes: Nothing, though I am vegan :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I like video games, Batman, comics, nine inch nails, Guns N Roses, Lost, tattoos, gadgets, erm, I like most things really. I sound boring listing my likes like that haha.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: October 22nd, 2017, 10:40 am I don't really like the notion of telling people how to manage their finances... I think it should be about finding something to make the other person happy, not min/maxing potential capital loss and revenue. Although I suppose a soft limit would be a decent compromise.
Yeah I get what you're saying. Just seems like a ballpark figure would probably make it easier all round though. It definitely wasn't about managing potential loss/gains, more about everyone working within a loose limit I suppose so give people a better idea of the sorts of things to get. I dunno.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Alex79uk wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 10:27 am Yeah I get what you're saying. Just seems like a ballpark figure would probably make it easier all round though. It definitely wasn't about managing potential loss/gains, more about everyone working within a loose limit I suppose so give people a better idea of the sorts of things to get. I dunno.
Let me put it like this: Would you approach things from that angle if you were exchanging gifts with your real-life friends and family members?

I'd hate for anyone to feel pressured to spend more than they can afford, that's all. This should be about making each other happy in any way we can, not following rules and restrictions.

Michiel K wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 8:59 am PSN voucher codes.
Just FYI, but those codes are region-specific. You won't be able to redeem foreign ones, even within the EU.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 10:37 am
Alex79uk wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 10:27 am Yeah I get what you're saying. Just seems like a ballpark figure would probably make it easier all round though. It definitely wasn't about managing potential loss/gains, more about everyone working within a loose limit I suppose so give people a better idea of the sorts of things to get. I dunno.
Let me put it like this: Would you approach things from that angle if you were exchanging gifts with your real-life friends and family members?
Yes. Always. We always set spending limits.
I'd hate for anyone to feel pressured to spend more than they can afford, that's all.
That's exactly what I was trying to avoid.

I think you may have got the wrong end of the stick here. I'm not suggesting a minimum spend. I'm saying it might be a good idea to say something like 'don't go above a tenner' or whatever.

It really doesn't matter though.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

KSubzero1000 wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 10:37 am
Michiel K wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 8:59 am PSN voucher codes.
Just FYI, but those codes are region-specific. You won't be able to redeem foreign ones, even within the EU.
One learns something new every day... about PSN.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

This is good to see and it's something I ran for a few years on a former forum I frequented and know it's a lot of fun (and quite a nightmare for the organiser) - unfortunately, I have a lot going on at the moment and won't be able to take part this year otherwise I'd have loved to join in. Best of luck to all those who are taking part!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Bump for all those keen and for those that missed it, come on this will be fun !!!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: November 9th, 2017, 7:26 pm Bump for all those keen and for those that missed it, come on this will be fun !!!
As much as appreciate seeing someone care enough to bump the thread, I'm mostly waiting for you and dezm0nd to actually list your interests as requested one of these days... ;)
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: November 9th, 2017, 8:02 pm As much as appreciate seeing someone care enough to bump the thread, I'm mostly waiting for you and dezm0nd to actually list your interests as requested one of these days... ;)
Oh, sorry man, my bad...

Right, - Long walks, food, nights out, nights in.......

When it comes to the Secret Santa, anything gaming really. Although a top three would be Old Nintendo, Coffee & Kooplings but like I say, anything gaming really would be neat.

I like hearing about peoples gaming nostalgia, so maybe something that means something to the 'giver' would be cool to receive.

:D :D
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Wonderful! That should give your Santa some ideas. :)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Friendly reminder that the assignments will be distributed on December 1st, so if any of you haven't yet gotten around to communicate their contact details to Leon or would like to register in the first place, now would be the time to do it. :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Don’t forget to remind me!