Books completed

This is the place where you can confab about all the other stuff besides videogames.
Flabyo

Re: Books completed (2018)

Post by Flabyo » November 28th, 2018, 9:20 am

The Witcher books do eventually turn into ‘the adventures of Ciri, also with Geralt’, but that doesn’t make them any less good :)

Currently reading Garry Kasparov’s book about his matches with Deep Blue and his take on A.I. research. It’s pretty good, if you happen to share his (and my) view that a lot of the hysterics about A.I. research dooming humanity is daft.

I got about halfway through Rotherweird, which should be right up my alley, but I can’t seem to gel with it.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » December 19th, 2018, 5:08 pm

Flabyo wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 9:20 am
The Witcher books do eventually turn into ‘the adventures of Ciri, also with Geralt’, but that doesn’t make them any less good :)
Yeah, I just finished The Tower of Swallows and most of the book is Ciri telling her story. I guess Sapkowski must have found her more interesting to write, but I do miss the "Geralt goes on a monster hunt" stories from the earlier collections.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » June 4th, 2019, 4:57 pm

I just reread Neuromancer by William Gibson. When I first read it seven years ago, I did not like it and was rather confused. This time around, I realized, I had tried to skim it when I was younger and that is not the way to go. You really have pay attention to every single sentence or you'll get lost in the world building and action.
The point is, I greatly enjoyed it this time around and now want to read the other books in that series, plus pick up Snow Crash for the first time.

Chopper

Re: Books completed

Post by Chopper » June 5th, 2019, 6:03 am

You will then have to change all your user names to SnowCrashxxxx like everyone else who's read that book. :)

Edit: I am reading the latest book in the Expanse sci fi series, which came out a month or two ago. It is good; he is still doing that trick of cutting from several exciting chapters in a row, to one chapter about the most boring person in the book (who will eventually grow into a fascinating character in their own right).

I'm enjoying it, but this is probably the end of the line for me, as I can't really engage with these series-in-progress as they are being written (though the next one is allegedly due in 2020, which isn't too bad).

duskvstweak

Re: Books completed

Post by duskvstweak » June 5th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Chopper wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 6:03 am
You will then have to change all your user names to SnowCrashxxxx like everyone else who's read that book. :)

Edit: I am reading the latest book in the Expanse sci fi series, which came out a month or two ago. It is good; he is still doing that trick of cutting from several exciting chapters in a row, to one chapter about the most boring person in the book (who will eventually grow into a fascinating character in their own right).

I'm enjoying it, but this is probably the end of the line for me, as I can't really engage with these series-in-progress as they are being written (though the next one is allegedly due in 2020, which isn't too bad).
I think I left after the third book. Loved the first, but the second and third didn't really do much for me.