Books completed

This is the place where you can confab about all the other stuff besides videogames.
Flabyo

Re: Books completed (2018)

Post by Flabyo » November 28th, 2018, 9:20 am

The Witcher books do eventually turn into ‘the adventures of Ciri, also with Geralt’, but that doesn’t make them any less good :)

Currently reading Garry Kasparov’s book about his matches with Deep Blue and his take on A.I. research. It’s pretty good, if you happen to share his (and my) view that a lot of the hysterics about A.I. research dooming humanity is daft.

I got about halfway through Rotherweird, which should be right up my alley, but I can’t seem to gel with it.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » December 19th, 2018, 5:08 pm

Flabyo wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 9:20 am
The Witcher books do eventually turn into ‘the adventures of Ciri, also with Geralt’, but that doesn’t make them any less good :)
Yeah, I just finished The Tower of Swallows and most of the book is Ciri telling her story. I guess Sapkowski must have found her more interesting to write, but I do miss the "Geralt goes on a monster hunt" stories from the earlier collections.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » June 4th, 2019, 4:57 pm

I just reread Neuromancer by William Gibson. When I first read it seven years ago, I did not like it and was rather confused. This time around, I realized, I had tried to skim it when I was younger and that is not the way to go. You really have pay attention to every single sentence or you'll get lost in the world building and action.
The point is, I greatly enjoyed it this time around and now want to read the other books in that series, plus pick up Snow Crash for the first time.

Chopper

Re: Books completed

Post by Chopper » June 5th, 2019, 6:03 am

You will then have to change all your user names to SnowCrashxxxx like everyone else who's read that book. :)

Edit: I am reading the latest book in the Expanse sci fi series, which came out a month or two ago. It is good; he is still doing that trick of cutting from several exciting chapters in a row, to one chapter about the most boring person in the book (who will eventually grow into a fascinating character in their own right).

I'm enjoying it, but this is probably the end of the line for me, as I can't really engage with these series-in-progress as they are being written (though the next one is allegedly due in 2020, which isn't too bad).

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » June 5th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Chopper wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 6:03 am
You will then have to change all your user names to SnowCrashxxxx like everyone else who's read that book. :)

Edit: I am reading the latest book in the Expanse sci fi series, which came out a month or two ago. It is good; he is still doing that trick of cutting from several exciting chapters in a row, to one chapter about the most boring person in the book (who will eventually grow into a fascinating character in their own right).

I'm enjoying it, but this is probably the end of the line for me, as I can't really engage with these series-in-progress as they are being written (though the next one is allegedly due in 2020, which isn't too bad).
I think I left after the third book. Loved the first, but the second and third didn't really do much for me.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » July 30th, 2019, 7:30 pm

I read the Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren James. It's a YA science fiction book and I really liked it. No spoilers, but it becomes a real page turner as it goes on.

My co-host and I interviewed the author for our book podcast. He was freaking out because he got the time wrong, with her being in the UK and all. I think most of her books are UK-only at the moment, aside from this one?
https://soundcloud.com/allthebooks/epis ... uren-james

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 20th, 2019, 6:01 am

I've been reading The Dirt, the Motley Crue autobiography. Now, I'm very guilty of holding up these 80s rock stars as kind of heroes. Motley Crue, Guns N Roses, Ozzy etc. In my head, they're girl chasing, drug taking, alcohol fuelled pure mayhem personified, and I always think that's how proper rock stars behave. Not the down to earth nice guys of modern rock, pure hellraisers and excess. That's what 80s stadium rock was all about.

But these guys were something else. Really, absolute arseholes. Robbing, causing death by drink driving, just beating the shit out of people for no reason, degrading women and treating them like shit, smashing up hotels and restaurants just for fun and because they were so wasted. They really were vile humans.

It's kind of changed my opinion on the band. I've always loved that kind of music. 80s hair metal and stuff, it's not a guilty pleasure, I think it's awesome and it genuinely saddens me that the days of huge arena tours are largely behind up, but I've read a lot of books and autobiographies from people who were in the middle of that scene, and Motley Crue really did set a new low bar for downright cuntishness.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » September 20th, 2019, 8:13 pm

They sound bloody awful. I hate that macho bullshit to be honest.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » September 21st, 2019, 11:15 am

Alex79uk wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 6:01 am
But these guys were something else. Really, absolute arseholes. Robbing, causing death by drink driving, just beating the shit out of people for no reason, degrading women and treating them like shit, smashing up hotels and restaurants just for fun and because they were so wasted. They really were vile humans.
Ah, brings back memories of a cycling holiday along the Canal Du Midi a few years back.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 21st, 2019, 1:35 pm

Well, I mean most cyclists think they're above the law, so...

:lol:

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » September 25th, 2019, 3:41 pm

I just finished the book Armor by John Steakly. What a weird one. It starts by making you think it's a military scifi, but then becomes a character study of this famous space pirate. Then, the military scifi comes back, but it's purpose is to show how battle breaks the toughest men, so when we get back to the space pirate, he's having an existential crisis because he might not be the toughest man in the universe anymore because the soldier in the flashbacks is tougher than him.

It's the armor we all wear, emotionally. But, that title might be a bit too on the nose...

Anyway, an interesting, strange read that I enjoyed without truly loving.