Books completed (and general book talk)

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
duskvstweak

Re: Books completed (2018)

Post by duskvstweak »

Flabyo wrote: June 18th, 2018, 11:09 am Crichton had a habit of loving his research so much he sometimes just dumped it all out on the page for you. His stuff is still mostly readable and fun, but it’s not amongst my favourites.
Crichton is actually my favorite author, but the Jurassic Park books are the only ones I've reread throughout life, mainly cause I'm a Jurassic Park fan through and through.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Been reading a lot of Batman comics lately. I've read most of the classics and then some, but there's still a few I missed or skipped along the way. I'm just going to list them, cause there's too many for much more than that.
Year 100, Strange Apparitions, Prey, Shadow of the Bat Vol. 1, Rules of Engagement, Broken City, Dark Night: A True Batman Story, Crime and Punishment, Joker's Asylum 1 & 2, The Monster Men, Death by Design and My Worst Enemy.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

I know it's already been mentioned but I have absolutely stormed through The Expanse novels, which I only gave a chance to because I didn't enjoy the series pilot and wanted to see what the fuss was about in literary form.

I must have started Leviathan Wakes no more than two months ago, and now I'm nearly done with the seventh book and facing a frustrating wait for the eight and ninth books to close things off.

I thought it was excellent throughout, with only a slight dip in book six when there were just too many voices pulling for attention. But the way the series shifts gears with nearly every book is very appealing. The universe it presents is my kind of sci fi and fantasy storytelling - grounded in three-dimensional, believable characters and showing the devastating consequences of their near-random collisions with each other, rather than some story of a chosen one going up against some obvious evil.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Nine books!

They're taking the piss now :lol:
Tleprie

Post by Tleprie »

This year has been pretty good for me for reading. I've never been a huge reader, but definitely fell off the past couple years, and this year I've made a point to seek out and read more stuff. I don't remember the exact order that I read these in, but I'll try to keep it somewhat chronological:

Kill All Angels - Robert Brockway
This is the third book in the Vicious Circuit Trilogy. The series jumps between present day Hollywood and the 1970s New York punk scene, as the main characters in each time have to fight and run from Angels that seek to "solve" the universe, which in doing so create monsters and soulless superhuman thrall.
After two books of build up, the first I think being the weakest, the final entry pays everything off, and is probably the most emotionally invested I've been in a book's characters.
I would highly recommend the series for anyone that enjoys cosmic horror and crude humor.

What the Hell Did I Just Read? - David Wong
The third book in the John Dies at the End Series. The previous book, This Book Is Full of Spiders, Seriously Dude Don't Touch It, is another of my favorite books, and David Wong is probably my favorite writer generally speaking, especially for a lot of his work on Cracked. Each book in the series can be read on its own. There are some small references to previous books, but nothing that is necessary to understand the plot.
This book goes into a bit more mature themes and subject matter, particularly delving into mental health. I liked these aspects, as they made the characters feel more real, when at times they definitely feel over the top. The story itself is a crazy ride of Lovecraft-like horror and toilet humor.
Overall a fun and quick read that I would definitely recommend. You can start anywhere in the series, but I'd suggest just starting at the beginning.

Blood, Sweat, and Pixels - Jason Schreier
Had this recommended to me by community member Andrew Brown. It really is an excellent look into how games get made. Each chapter is short enough (and very well written) that even the games I was less interested in were enjoyable. Not a whole lot to say, other than anyone that wants to read about video games should give it a go.

Who Needs What - Andrew Hood
I was on a bit of a non-fiction kick this spring between this and the last book. This one is a short biography of musician Jim Guthrie. He is one of my favorite music artists, however I have never really dived much into his early work in the indie music scene, which is what a majority of the book covers.
Possibly my least favorite that I've read so far this year. It was short enough that it was easy to get through, but I felt like it repeated points a bit, and just wasn't as much to my taste. I suppose if you are into music or a Guthrie fan, then it may be worth a read.

All the Ways the World Can End - Abby Sher
Got this after reading an excellent article/essay online by the author. I went into it completely blind, by the title I was expecting perhaps an apocalyptic story of some sort. Instead it was about a teenage girl dealing with her slowly dying father, so the title is accurate in some ways, just on a much smaller scale.
The book was a good quick read. I thought the characters were well written, and it had its emotional moments. I'd recommend it if you're looking for a short slice-of-life story.

Henshin (GN) - Ken Niimura
By the artist of I Kill Giants (which I don't remember if I read this year or late last year, but go read it), this is a collection of short stories, with a wide variety of tone and subject matter. The art is fantastic and the stories are all pretty engaging. It's been a bit so I can't remember many specifics, but I read it all in I think one or two sittings.

Through the Woods (GN) - Emily Carroll
A collection of short illustrated horror stories. I know I bought it last year, but I'm pretty sure I didn't get around to reading it until earlier this year.
The art is fantastic, and the stories all feel original, but inspired by classic fairy tales.

Over the Garden Wall (GN) - Jim Campbell and Patrick McHale
Not actually a graphic novel, but a collection of the comic book run based on the Cartoon Network miniseries (which everyone should watch). I enjoyed the collection overall, though the stories tended to lean more towards the silly aspects of the show, and less of the more somber subject matter, with the exception of the final story, which was very excellent. If you have seen and enjoyed the show, definitely consider getting the comics.

Rx: A Tale of Electronegativity - Robert Brockway
A much earlier book by the author of my first entry here. This is one of the only pieces of cyberpunk fiction I've read, so I don't have much of a baseline to compare it to, but I really enjoyed it. The characters are all likable and all have very different personalities and motivations driving them. Like his trilogy, this book jumps between points of view with each chapter. At first each of the main characters are separate, but they slowly meet up, resulting in an excellent final third or so. I thought it was a bit slow to start, but once it picks up speed, it doesn't stop.
Recommended for any fans of cyberpunk, I guess, and just fun violent action stories.

Flashpoint (GN) - Geoff Johns and Andy Kubert
A pretty interesting book in the DC universe. I think at the time it was a fairly substantial event, as it led into The New 52 (I think), but not being particularly invested in the overall story, it felt like a fun 'What if?' story, with some really nice character moments for The Flash.

Currently I'm reading Gone Girl. I just started and haven't had a whole lot of time this past week. Not sure if I'll finish it yet, but may be adding it here in the coming weeks. So far it hasn't really gripped me.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Tleprie wrote: July 30th, 2018, 5:24 pm T
A pretty interesting book in the DC universe. I think at the time it was a fairly substantial event, as it led into The New 52 (I think), but not being particularly invested in the overall story, it felt like a fun 'What if?' story, with some really nice character moments for The Flash.
The animated version of this story is pretty good too. I'm not a HUGE fan of the story, but it has it's moments and ideas.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

duskvstweak wrote: July 30th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Tleprie wrote: July 30th, 2018, 5:24 pm T
The animated version of this story is pretty good too. I'm not a HUGE fan of the story, but it has it's moments and ideas.
Seconded

Finally up to date with Batman rebirth now and the whole wedding thing was let down.

Green Lanterns still is knocking it out of the park, still my number one of all the rebirths
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

DomsBeard wrote: July 30th, 2018, 10:49 pm
Green Lanterns still is knocking it out of the park, still my number one of all the rebirths
I haven't read Green Lantern since Geoff Johns finished his run. It's still good, you say?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

duskvstweak wrote: July 30th, 2018, 11:06 pm
DomsBeard wrote: July 30th, 2018, 10:49 pm
I haven't read Green Lantern since Geoff Johns finished his run. It's still good, you say?
It is Green Lanterns rather than Green Lantern I am referring to. Never been a fan of Hal Jordan etc

I just enjoy the stories and Chemistry between Cruz and Baz. Him being a Muslim and Cruz's anxiety makes them very current.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Just finished Forever Peace by Joe Haldeman. Loved Forever War a while back, but Peace was a bit of a different beast and had a harder time holding my attention.
But, since I'm interviewing Haldeman, I'm gonna pick up Forever Free as well, even though it doesn't look very popular at all. I guess we'll see!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Starting reading Baptism by Fire, the third novel in the Witcher series. I'm gonna play those games someday!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just finished Superman: Birthright.

Never liked Superman, but when I stopped to think about it, I couldn't tell you why, so I decided to read a bunch.

This was really good. It's considered, I think, the cannon origin story now, and is well worth a read.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: September 5th, 2018, 1:05 pm Just finished Superman: Birthright.

Never liked Superman, but when I stopped to think about it, I couldn't tell you why, so I decided to read a bunch.

This was really good. It's considered, I think, the cannon origin story now, and is well worth a read.
I'm not sure as it's the "canon" origin these days, as the New 52 and Rebirth and all that keep changing things, but, personally, it's pretty much the definitive origin. It blew me away with how good it was back when I first read it. Smart move picking it up. I'm sure you've already put together a list, but I recommend All-Star Superman and Superman: Red Son as well.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah thanks, I've got Red Son, and also Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow. Also the start of the death of Superman arc. I've heard good things about All Star though, so may investigate that one.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I'm probably completely out of my depth considering I read an average of one and a half comic book a year and am entirely lost when it comes to continuity / recurring supporting characters etc, but I'll say that I found a lot to like about Red Son. Genuinely thought-provoking.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: September 5th, 2018, 7:35 pm Ah thanks, I've got Red Son, and also Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow. Also the start of the death of Superman arc. I've heard good things about All Star though, so may investigate that one.
Whatever Happened is great as well. Good choice!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I finished The Wolfen by Whitley Strieber. Not good. It left me bored and really struggling to get to the end. I guess there's a movie based on it?
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I just read this young adult book called Contagion by Erin Bowman. It's a scifi horror book in that stranded crew/Alien mold. It wasn't bad, but it's definitely a YA book, so your mileage may vary. The characters, aside from one or two are a bit flat, but the creepiness is fairly well done.
Joe81

Post by Joe81 »

I need to get on the Expanse books, it sounds like something I would be really into but I just haven't taken the time to either read or watch the series.

As for myself and my 2018 reading adventures, here is what I have completed:

Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari
Leonardo da Vinci by Walter Isaacson
Alexander the Great by Phillip Freeman
The Book of Swords edited by Garder Dozier & GRRM (short stories)
The Book of Magic, see above
Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl
1776 by David McCullugh
Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson
Jerusalem: The Biography by Simon Sebag Montefiore
The Romanovs: 1613-1918 by S Montefiore

Of these Sapiens, DaVinci and Man's Search for Meaning really stand out to me as books everyone needs to read. Thought provoking, view-altering, powerful stuff these three.

Special mention to the following:

Dust of Dreams by Stephen Erikson
The Crippled God, by S Erikson
Forge of Darkness, by S Erikson
Fall of Light, by S Erikson

I started reading this series after doing a google search for 'Dark souls books' and seeing it pop up repeatedly in my results. It didn't give me what I was initially wanting e.g. gothic horror fantasy, but after reading all of these books going on a third time now I can safely say they might be my favorite fantasy books of all time. Highly recommended.
Joe81

Post by Joe81 »

MarkHoog wrote: February 1st, 2018, 7:05 am I'm going to try to read one book for every game I play for a while, just to keep a certain balance between the two media (for every stressful boss battle I want an hour or two in the serene company of words). Getting a head start since I've been playing The Witcher 3 since the beginning of the year. Kinda big, that one.

So far I've read Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse and The Last Witch by Andrzej Sapkowski - yes, because of tW3. About to start on Men Without Women, a collection of stories by one of my favourite authors, Haruki Murakami. After that, next Witcher-book.
I loved the Witcher books! They felt like Conan novels a bit, sword and sorcery, which I'm really into. The game led me to them like you and I do not regret it. Hope you enjoy/enjoyed them as much as I did.