Association Football (aka 'Soccer' / "The Beautiful Game")

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

Association Football (aka 'Soccer' / "The Beautiful Game")

Post by Alex79 »

Might as well have a thread, right?

I've only managed to catch one game so far because of work, but Spain Vs Portugal - what a game!! That was one or the best games of football I've seen in years.

I tell you what, I wouldn't bet against Portugal going far this year.

I love the World Cup! Makes me wish I had a football game to play. Might go up CEX tomorrow and get FIFA 17 or something for a couple of quid :D
countstex

Re: The World Cup 2018

Post by countstex »

PES 2018 is in GamePass and FIFA 18 is free for all MS Gold members right now.. if you have a One.

But yes, that was a jolly good kick about. Looked like Spain would walk all over them for a while, but they kept on fighting. Good game.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Absolute belter tonight!

I'm too busy to watch all of every game like I used to do in my teens, 20s and 30s, but looking forward to dipping in and out of the *seven* matches over the weekend!
:)
Suits

Post by Suits »

I'm certainly surprised to see such a thread show up on here, however - I'm more than encouraged to see read such a conversation.

Yeah, great game tonight.

So far, the only minutes I've missed are the ones in the car during the commute from work to home.

C Ronaldo continues to ever build his credentials for the greatest player of all time.

The man just doesn't seem to stop topping what he has already achieved in football.

He's the epitome of world class, he does things that are expected of him and things that are not expected of him, time and time again.

I'm not a Ronaldo fanboy (for want of a better phrase) but I always welcome the conversation regards who has done more for his club and nation, constantly, at such a high level more than this footballing athlete.

The guy is insane. A true football legend.

Anyway, yes, the 2018 WC.

My money is on a good showing from Belgium, I've pulled Brazil from the sweepstake in work (nice) and my chosen nation to follow and cheer on this year is Sweden.

Lets hope the host nation refrain from too much off field nonsense, the officials pull their socks up, ITV don't mess the coverage up and England do fcuk all.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Speaking of sweepstakes, I pulled Tunisia and Switzerland >_<
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've softened and warmed to Ronaldo throughout his career. I used to loathe him, but I'd say he's now perhaps my favourite international footballer and one of few players I personally look up to - believe me, I never imagined I would say this. Obviously, he's a naturally very gifted athlete and an excellent footballer, but it's his relentless drive and determination and self-belief which blows me away. The absolute stones on the guy to hit that free kick with such a decisive but delicate touch. There are few people on Earth with the composure and confidence to do that, never mind the skill. Blown away. Amazing start to the tournament, aside from every other game which has been cack.

My best mate is an Aussie and I'm an Evertonian so I'll be rooting for Timmy and the boys this time around, as my alt. I'm not confident about England but I would love to see us play with confidence and expression instead of the usual crippling fear. Maybe, maybe.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Brighton’s Maty Ryan in action for the Socceroos too!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Massive day of football today, so I’m going to clean all my dusty PS2 games from the loft and sort them the out while this mornings game is on.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I pulled Portugal, Serbia and Denmark in the office sweepstake. Outside chance of a win there...

(The boss got Germany and Brazil, which went down well)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I have Iran and Nigeria.
Ho hum.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I have Uruguay in my sweepstake.

Managed to catch every game so far (perks of being self employed). Apart from Spain v Portugal I really enjoyed Peru v Denmark tonight, gutted for Peru they should have won it.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Kom så Danmark! :P
nickturner13

Post by nickturner13 »

Wonderful stuff from Mexico! Then and Peru my highlights of the cup so far.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I might give the old PSVR a go for the England game tonight.

Apparently you can use the functions on the BBC iPlayer to watch it from the stadium, with a VR headset (as well as 4K now) - as such.

Not my ideal preferred way to watch football I must admit but well worth a go I should think.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Apparently the iPlayer on PS4 has been upgraded to 4K too.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Tried the VR the other day, it is really good!.

It is coming home.....
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

You've bought a PSVR?

:D
Suits

Post by Suits »

Gutted.

I thought Tunisia were going to hold out last night.

On another note, I hope this VAR doesn't make it into the English league. We'll have penalties at every corner otherwise.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Suits wrote: June 19th, 2018, 8:15 am Gutted.

I thought Tunisia were going to hold out last night.

On another note, I hope this VAR doesn't make it into the English league. We'll have penalties at every corner otherwise.
Oi! Be nice!
:P

Premier League clubs have voted against VAR for the coming season, and I think the tech makes it impossible for most football league grounds to use it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 19th, 2018, 8:48 am Premier League clubs have voted against VAR for the coming season, and I think the tech makes it impossible for most football league grounds to use it.
Yes, there is that. Although, It could literally be installed overnight in the Premier League just like GLT.

Generally I go back and forth on the VAR side of things. I was keen to see how it would be implemented and genuinely looked forward to the benefit it would bring.

I'm just concerned how frequent it's being used thus far and how clinical it is.

I didn't realise how much I enjoyed the "Phew, we got away with that then !" feeling :lol: . Potentially, every coming together could be viewed as a foul, if looked at enough.

Like I said, I go back and forth on it, at this current moment, where I agree it works in spotting things - I'm concerned.

Anyway, more games today :P :P .