Association Football (aka 'Soccer' / "The Beautiful Game")

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Simonsloth

Re: Association Football (aka 'Soccer' / "The Beautiful Game")

Post by Simonsloth »

Truk_Kurt wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 9:29 am Who do you support Simon? I'm a Derby fan
Millwall.

My grandad was a docker at Millwall docks and used to take my dad so it’s a family thing but I like the underdog so the shoe still fits.

I just wish they didn’t have a vocal minority who were xenophobic and gave the team a bad name. It’s an incredible experience at the Den but I’d never take my kids there!

What are your thoughts on Rooney? This season has made Lampard’s look like an incredible achievement!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Simonsloth wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 1:36 pm Millwall.
Banned.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

When I lived in London whilst Lampard was there I went to the Den and loved it, we lost but the atmosphere was great. Didn't have any trouble. When all the fans shout 'WWWAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL' continuously is a sight to behold or hear might be more appropriate.

Not a fan of Rooney, he started well but we've been awful for months. I think it's one win in 14 games now and I can't see us staying up. I wish we still had Rowett and I don't get why Derby fans didn't like him when he got us in the play offs which was the job he was asked to do. Fans said his football was too direct but I didn't think it was. With the squad we have we shouldn't be in this position. The only sympathy I have with Rooney is that a lot of our players are out of contract at the end of the season so I don't think they really care as they won't be here next season. It looks like you will be signing Scott Malone off us permanently.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

We’ve stolen Rowett and Malone from you then!

I think Rowett has overachieved with our squad this season realistically and I think he gives such a good post match interview. Very honest and charismatic.

@Leon - I’m sorry. I understand 🤪
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

My sister is an obsessive Arsenal fanatic. My brother-in-law loves Tottenham. They had their first child last year. I worry for the football wars on the horizon.

(They're a fifteen minute walk from Emirates though so Arsenal may have the edge).
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Miririn wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 7:01 pm My sister is an obsessive Arsenal fanatic. My brother-in-law loves Tottenham. They had their first child last year. I worry for the football wars on the horizon.

(They're a fifteen minute walk from Emirates though so Arsenal may have the edge).
That’s bound to cause problems!! Before the new Spurs stadium I would have said Arsenal for sure as the Emirates is so impressive. Tottenham’s new stadium is a thing of beauty though!
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

At my secondary school (in North West London) you absolutely had to pick between Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea - and not choosing was not an option, which is why I "have" a team (Arsenal) despite knowing less about football than a deep sea angler fish.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

When I lived in London I lived literally right next to the new Spurs stadium as it was being built, but then moved elsewhere in London just before it opened.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I’m an Arsenal fan, but my son played at the Spurs training ground last week and it’s absolutely stunning. Like a 5-star Caribbean resort just off the M25! The security guys were the worst jobsworths though… Spurs!
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I remember seeing it on the Amazon Spurs documentary and it looked very impressive
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

So now the Premier League season is over, who is your following? I have put my votes in

Player of the Year: Mason Mount
Manager of the Year: David Moyes
Surprise of the year: Sheffield United being as bad as they were
Goal of the Year: Lamela rabona vs Arsenal
Cornelius_Smiff

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

About to tinkle in your pool there Kurt. Full card carrying Forest fan over here... :twisted:
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Haha, well someone has got to be :P

Do you live in the Nottinghamshire area? I'm in Kirkby in Ashfield if you know where that is.
Cornelius_Smiff

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

Truk_Kurt wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 2:45 pm Haha, well someone has got to be :P

Do you live in the Nottinghamshire area? I'm in Kirkby in Ashfield if you know where that is.
I do indeed. I lived in Nottinghamshire all my life and have recently uprooted further away from the city to Stapleford, with the border to Derbyshire being literally 50 feet from my front door.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been up in Nottingham and Derby a fair bit for work recently. I discovered a retail park with a McDonald's, a Burger King AND a KFC! Blew my mind.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Alex79uk wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 6:55 pm I've been up in Nottingham and Derby a fair bit for work recently. I discovered a retail park with a McDonald's, a Burger King AND a KFC! Blew my mind.
I think that's near Derby's stadium
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Truk_Kurt wrote: June 24th, 2021, 10:07 am
Alex79uk wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 6:55 pm I've been up in Nottingham and Derby a fair bit for work recently. I discovered a retail park with a McDonald's, a Burger King AND a KFC! Blew my mind.
I think that's near Derby's stadium
I can tell you exactly where it is, the Wyvern Retail Park.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Yeah, not too far away :)
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

https://twitter.com/mrarsenictm/status/ ... 16390?s=21

New Amazon All or Nothing series announced focusing on Arsenal for the upcoming season.

If you didn't know, a Crystal Palace one was released on amazon prime recently rather quietly, it's called Where Eagles Dare.

I'm sure Leon will be an avid viewer of that :P
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

We doing a CaR Fantasy Premier League this year, anyone? I'm already in the TCGS, IGN and RKG leagues...