Association Football (aka 'Soccer' / "The Beautiful Game")

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Suits

Re: Association Football (aka 'Soccer' / "The Beautiful Game")

Post by Suits »

Heartwarming story at the Emirates yesterday as Arsenal's Hector Bellerin lined up against Watford's Marc Navarro.

They've played football with each other since the very early days playing 1v1 at Bellerin's Grandmothers house in Spain aged 8 years old - today they played against each other in the English Premier League.

Pretty cool.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Heartwarming stuff. Pretty amazing.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Suits wrote: September 14th, 2018, 3:54 pm The Chelsea situation you spoke about is one me and mates have barked about for a while now, they have a sort of magic circle down there for churning out massively superior cup teams and the English players they have been harvesting are starting to shine. Chalobah never really took off, Ake is playing top flight football regularly and the raft of winners they have floating about all over the divisions is scary. RLCheek looks like a powerful lad and seems to glide about the place with grace. No surprise a few of their gems are up at Pride Park now that Lampard is there.
Interesting that Southgate has cast net wider and pulled in Mason Mount, who I was alluding too a few weeks back.

Interesting in fact that it is simply interesting. I have no wider conspiracy that there is a lack of English midfield talent in the Premier League, or that other perhaps older more experienced players are being overlooked in place of a younger player.

Personally, I can only assume that Southgate is looking to blood players that have barely a fist full of senior appearances in the league as opposed to looking for someone that can jump straight into a international team and deliver.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Dunky’s in! So proud, he’s been at Brighton since he was 10.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Quite a North London Derby it seems.

Wonderfully exciting game, which seemed to have it all.

Although not ALL of it was welcome but I'm confidant that the clubs (club) will do take the correct course of action in banning the cretin - who was found and identified and kicked out of the ground in 10 minutes I understand.

I thought that this sort of premeditated attack was easing out of our game, especially in England, with younger generations coming through but it's obviously not.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Leon - You go to a lot of football matches, how often do you bump into away fans sitting in the home end ??

I suspect you've also masqueraded as 'the others' to get in at times.

Whats your stance on this ??
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It happens, rarely a big problem, although I have seen a goal celebration spark a scuffle and an ejection on occasion.

Just keep it on the down low.
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: March 16th, 2019, 12:55 pm Just keep it on the down low.
This.

I've done it myself a few times, mostly around the London clubs, I just don't wear any colours and keep it proper cautious.

Thursday night, were I sit (which is at club level where away fans aren't generally allowed) I was surrounded by about 12 away fans which was cool, they were all really friendly - until my club scored and it got celebrated, I was told to keep it respectful and be quiet by the away fans, who constantly gestured and sang the whole game :!: .

I looked at the steward and she just shrugged at me.

I wasn't too pleased by this and in words which I won't repeat on here told the lads that if that want that sort of behaviour to go and sit down in the away section or keep their pleasant mouths closed.

They were French but understood my angle.

I've felt antsy ever since and can't shake the feeling of regret :lol: .

I swapped scarfs with bloke after the match but I still wish I never got all turbo.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Didn’t realise there were any Welsh clubs still in the Europa League...
😉
Suits

Post by Suits »

Aaron Ramsey in it :lol: .
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I wouldn’t advise sitting in with home fans at the New Den tomorrow Leon!

I feel uncomfortable sitting with the home fans on certain match days and im a Millwall supporter!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Turners had to give his ticket up didn’t he, as he’s Tom Dick - gutting.

It’ll be noisey down there today !!! 👍🏽👍🏽
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I’m watching this one on the telly.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

First game I ever saw in a stadium was Notts County v Millwall. We got free tickets as part of a school thing we’d been doing. Sherringham scored the winner, and we were a very long way away from the away fans :)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Really pleased Brighton won as it means I can go to the first game in Tottenham's new stadium on the 3rd of April. I mean I don't have a ticket yet and have paid for train tickets and a hotel already so fingers crossed :lol:
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Brighton have sacked Chris Hughton after keeping them up (quite miraculously) on a shoestring budget? What an awful decision, he deserves so much better. After keeping them up twice, and a really good cup run this year too.

Literally my only reason not to loathe that club and hope for their downfall is that Leon supports them :(

Leon - as a Brighton fan, thoughts on this? From the outside looking in, this looks incredibly harsh and reminds me of his terrible treatment by Mike Ashley who sacked him from the toon. I have so much respect for Hughton, I hope he manages us again one day - I'd take him in a flash if Rafa leaves us.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It’s complicated. I love CH as a man and am eternally grateful for all he’s done for us.

However, while he has been operating on one of the more limited budgets in the division (though hardly a shoestring), the football overall has gotten worse, some of the performances since December have been far less than the players we have are capable of and we’re on a dismal run of three wins in 23 matches.

Obviously it’s a massive gamble by the owner though, and we’ve seen so many clubs over-reach over the years, but it was hard to see us doing anything other than turgidly battling relegation under Chris.

Only time will tell if this was the right call.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Do you think someone else could have got more out of those players than Chris this season though? That cup run was amazing and a real reward for your fans - something I'd have traded in a flash for the places between Newcastle and Brighton, neither of which have been covered in glory league-wise. Would you have made this call? Who would you like to come in?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I believe with the squad we have we probably could and should have played and performed better over the second half of the season. I think the attacking players were losing faith and focus with the roles they were being asked to perform.

I probably wouldn’t have made this call but I’m not shocked that our multimillionaire professional gambler owner has.

I don’t know who Bloom and Barber should appoint, but here’s a list of names being mooted (some much more likely than others):

Graham Potter
Nathan Jones
Mikel Arteta
Rafa Benitez
Frank Lampard
Steve Holland
Eddie Howe
Alex Neil
Phil Neville
Gary Rowett
Laurent Blanc
Antonio Conte
Bruno Genesio
Roger Schmidt
David Wagner
David Moyes
Martin O'Neill

I am both excited and trepidatious about next season at this point.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Phil Neville is a good shout.

Mind, he won’t be talking to anyone until July you’d think.

Change is as good as a rest Brighton are a good club with a good base that you’d think would be ideal for any upcoming aspiring manager. I certainly think that’s who will end up in that seat - as opposed to a Moyes, Benitez character.

I did have a ponder over a Dyche.

Just don’t mention Alladyce.