Geek Fitness

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
PapaBlingo

Geek Fitness

Post by PapaBlingo »

What do you do to keep fit 'n trim?

I am very much into running, and am training for my first half-marathon. Last Sunday, I ran 15 miles in under 2 hours, which I am very happy about.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Geek Fitness

Post by ratsoalbion »

I was running 3 or 4 times a week (a couple of miles a time) for a few years and lost a lot of weight which I have now put back on.
Started running again after a long gap the week before last but my legs are now traumatised.
Waiting until they heal up before making a gentler re-start.

I have the notion of getting an excercise bike in my games room to see if I can cycle as I play...
Cress1968

Post by Cress1968 »

15 mile commute by bike every day then exercise my thumbs on Xbox on a night lol
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I've always been overweight but decided to join the gym 6 weeks ago. My game times halved but I've lost a stone so far. Really enjoy the gym I've got a set program and been going 5 times a week. I do 10 minutes cycling (4km), then 2km in 10 minutes in a cross trainer, 1.2km run/walk in 10 minutes then weights and ball excercises.

I tried running before but couldn't get into it, I like the structure at the gym you know how much work you've done/calories burned etc....

Having a nice jacuzzi and sauna after helps too :)
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

ratsoalbion wrote: I have the notion of getting an excercise bike in my games room to see if I can cycle as I play...
I know Burnie from Rooster Teeth uses a treadmill and walks for the duration of any game he plays. His physical transformation is nothing short of inspiring.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

NokkonWud wrote:
ratsoalbion wrote: I have the notion of getting an excercise bike in my games room to see if I can cycle as I play...
I know Burnie from Rooster Teeth uses a treadmill and walks for the duration of any game he plays. His physical transformation is nothing short of inspiring.
That's a great idea too - now I wonder how much a treadmill costs...
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

NokkonWud wrote:
although he also told a story of how playing halo while using the treadmill cause him to badly injure both of his knees and almost break his neck!
For a while I was using an excercise bike while xboxing. You soon learn what games you can and can't play though. Found myself slowing to a stop while playing fallout 3, castle crashers and pinball were pretty good though.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Aye, sitting down might be safer.
Lego Solo

Post by Lego Solo »

Used to go to the gym 3 times a week and play squash twice a week. Squash is a great way to lose weight with a healthy diet as you can burn up a 1000 calories an hour if you work hard. But I suffered a health issue at the beginning of this year that resulted in the loss of use of my left eye. So I ended up not doing anything for a number of months while I recovered, also squash is now a major challenge with no depth perception!

Getting back in to it slowly and determined to remove this two stone I've put on. I will say there is no better feeling then when you walk out of the gym after a good workout, you feel energised and strong, better than any drug out there.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

I walk to work, takes me 45 minutes each way. Other than that, not a lot really.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

I have shamelessly put on roughly 1 and a half stone on over the last year. In summer of 2011 i weighed in at 177Ibs, im in the 195Ibs category now. Over 12 months ago any evening i wasnt training at footy i was running 10km in about 47min. I felt great & was playing some of the best football of my 22 year career. But one thing led to another and coupled with the fact myself and Colette had a traumatic start to 2012 aswell. This led to me not giving a fuck about anything much really, especially fitness.
Gladly though we have started at the gym again. Back running, albeit only 5km runs and a shit tonne of ab crunches. I believe when your mind is in the right place and the goals are realistic, they are achievable. I have a naturally addictive personality, so once i start something i tend to stick at it till i reach the target set for myself. Providing i stay injury free that is, which is hard at 38 after alot of recurring muscle pulls/strains etc down the years. Im pretty sure i will shed these pounds again.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I play unicycle hockey once a week and swim most weekends.
I used to go to the gym an awful lot, but it seems the older you get, the more life kinda gets in the way. I really do miss being able to go to the gym every day after work, but I've no idea where I'd be able to find the time any more (or the money for the bloody gym fees!)
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

The phrase unicycle hockey just blew my mind! How do you get enough people together that can ride unicycles to get a game?
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

I've always been fairly slim (6 foot 2 and about 12 and a half stone) but hadn't done any regular exercise for years before starting running last year. I aimed to take it up again this year, but found it a bit boring and so never took it back up. I could do with losing a stone probably though now, thinking i may take up swimming or something else, i don't think running is for me. I don't fancy the idea of the gym.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I've always hated the idea of the gym in terms of the monthly fee or the environment. I used to love swimming as a kid but I hate public pools now. Obviously we have the beach here but swimming alone security is an issue (leaving your stuff on the beach) plus it's freezing 95% of the year. I do play tennis from time to time but it can be a struggle to find a court and can get expensive. Running is fairly dull but at least it's free and always available.

What I'd really love to do is play football but I'm too rubbish and unfit to join any kind of team and all my mates are parents now so don't have time for a casual kickabout.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:
NokkonWud wrote:
although he also told a story of how playing halo while using the treadmill cause him to badly injure both of his knees and almost break his neck!
For a while I was using an excercise bike while xboxing. You soon learn what games you can and can't play though. Found myself slowing to a stop while playing fallout 3, castle crashers and pinball were pretty good though.
yeah, I remember but that's because he would sway and move to Halo which he said he doesn't do with anything else so that explains why. He did Borderlands I believe and didn't have a problem. I'd want something like a cross trainer where you don't need to use your arms ideally as standing is better.
Lego Solo

Post by Lego Solo »

Wow 10k in 47mins that's pretty impressive. I hate running, I just get so bored after a very short time. I do, well did, about 10 - 15k every other day on a bike, used to take me about 20mins. Did 5k today in that time, it's amazing how quickly your fitness can drop!
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Lego Solo wrote:Wow 10k in 47mins that's pretty impressive. I hate running, I just get so bored after a very short time. I do, well did, about 10 - 15k every other day on a bike, used to take me about 20mins. Did 5k today in that time, it's amazing how quickly your fitness can drop!
Cheers Lego, i was extremely proud of myself then when i could consistently hit the 47min mark. My best was 44'44. But after nearly suffering a cardiac arrest in doing that time :D , i decided to just aim for under 50mins.
Dukeboxz

Post by Dukeboxz »

I started running about 5 months ago and lost a good bit of wait so that now I am actually in the healthy BMI range and can do 5K without dying. Have hit a bit of a wall recently with the pounding on concrete taking it out off my knees and ankles.

Looking at option of joining a gym but they all want you to sign up for 12 months and I am not wanting to make that sort of commitment at the moment for various reasons.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

If you've got a Nuffield Health near you try that. I have a 3 month contract going but at the moment they are doing specials as its their 10th anniversary £10 for 10 days membership or pay £10 to join (normally £49) and get rest of September free till your first direct debit at beginning of October.