Spielberg Movies, ranked

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
duskvstweak

Re: Spielberg Movies, ranked

Post by duskvstweak »

Simonsloth wrote: May 28th, 2019, 7:36 pm I’ve done a top ten. I’ve seen most of his work and found this quite tricky.

Hook would be no.11!

1. Jurassic Park
2. Jaws
3. Schindler’s List
4. Raiders of the Lost Ark
5. AI
6. Temple of Doom
7. Minority Report
8. Last Crusade
9. ET
10. Duel
JP is number 1!
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Realised I've seen less Spielberg movies than I'd like.

1. Jurassic Park
2. Schindler's List
3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
4. Jaws (I am famously terrified of Sharks, but as long as it is just Robot one, I'm fine)
5. E.T.
6. Saving Private Ryan
7. Raiders of the Lost Ark

This is point where I feel the need to underline that I haven't seen as much of his movies as I'd like.

8. Minority Report (flawed gem, some cool set pieces/ideas)
9. A.I. (I think it's improved with time, but it's got problems, for sure.)
10. War of the Worlds (Look...it kind of goes to shit in the second half, but the tripod raising out of the ground is up there with the T-Rex in the rain in terms iconic special effects moments. So it gets brownie points for that.)

I actively dislike War Horse, Temple of Doom and The Lost World.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Combine Hunter wrote: May 28th, 2019, 8:50 pm Realised I've seen less Spielberg movies than I'd like.

1. Jurassic Park
2. Schindler's List
3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
4. Jaws (I am famously terrified of Sharks, but as long as it is just Robot one, I'm fine)
5. E.T.
6. Saving Private Ryan
7. Raiders of the Lost Ark

This is point where I feel the need to underline that I haven't seen as much of his movies as I'd like.

8. Minority Report (flawed gem, some cool set pieces/ideas)
9. A.I. (I think it's improved with time, but it's got problems, for sure.)
10. War of the Worlds (Look...it kind of goes to shit in the second half, but the tripod raising out of the ground is up there with the T-Rex in the rain in terms iconic special effects moments. So it gets brownie points for that.)

I actively dislike War Horse, Temple of Doom and The Lost World.
I haven't watched A.I. in sometime, but it's showing up on these lists. Might have to give it a watch soon.
I also think the car/riot/tripods at the ferries build up is just a non-stop stress ride in WotW.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Weirdly, for someone who considers himself a film buff, based on his Wikipedia filmography I think I've only actually seen 14 of Spielberg's films, and there's only a few of those I rate highly, namely the three original Indiana Jones movies*, Saving Private Ryan and of course Jurassic Park (which is probably in my all time top 10).

I genuinely don't think I could put together a top 10 as I'd be really scraping the barrel for stuff to include by default (stuff like The Lost World), and there are others like ET, Jaws and Schindler's List that it's been so long since I've seen them I can't say they're films I know particularly well.
Or even Hook, which he hates himself!
I must admit that I genuinely like Hook, though I freely admit it's overlong and schmaltzy, and my affection for it is probably largely due to nostalgia. ISTR reading somewhere that it was originally supposed to be a musical, which is why it has such a lavish John Williams score.

*Temple Of Doom is my favourite, due to it being the only one we had on video back in the day, taped off TV, naturally.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Combine Hunter wrote: May 28th, 2019, 8:50 pm 10. War of the Worlds (Look...it kind of goes to shit in the second half, but the tripod raising out of the ground is up there with the T-Rex in the rain in terms iconic special effects moments. So it gets brownie points for that.)
Yeah, similar story for me, there's a lot in this film I don't like, but the tripod moments elevated this onto my list. The town/ferry scene is exhilarating/horrifying, especially the moment when the family look down upon the horror of the tripods eliminating the fleeing crowds, amplified by some truly incredible sound design.