The Witcher TV series

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
JaySevenZero
Admin

The Witcher TV series

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's the first teaser for the upcoming series

Flabyo

Re: The Witcher TV series

Post by Flabyo »

I think it looks pretty decent so far. It’s clearly doing the ‘saga’ novels as the plot, because I recognise a lot of the events in that trailer :) The books start with two volumes of short stories before getting into a larger multi-novel spanning plot, it’s basically Ciri’s origin story.

I imagine it’d been very tempting to match the aesthetic of the games, so I’m pleased that they haven’t totally gone that way.

(One of the largest aspect in the games, the whole ‘silver sword for monsters, steel for humans’ hasn’t even come up in the books yet, though I’ve still got two more to go)
macstat

Post by macstat »

Flabyo wrote: July 20th, 2019, 9:23 am I imagine it’d been very tempting to match the aesthetic of the games, so I’m pleased that they haven’t totally gone that way.
Not sure if they want, or to be more precise if Sapkowski wants it. Supposedly he's a consultant on the show so i think he has something to say about it.
Flabyo wrote: July 20th, 2019, 9:23 am (One of the largest aspect in the games, the whole ‘silver sword for monsters, steel for humans’ hasn’t even come up in the books yet, though I’ve still got two more to go)
Im gonna put it in spoiler just in case but its from both short stories so i assume you already read those and just missed those obscure descriptions ;) And i only dont spoil any major hook, just a summary of what is said about the swords :P
Spoiler: show
It might seem that way since on several occasions he's described wearing a single sword on his back.
But In "Sword of Destiny" - "Something more" there are two separate descriptions of where its specifically said on second occasion his sword is different than before.
Also in "Last Wish" in "voice of reason 4" Geralt himself says that he uses two swords.
So its probably the case of wearing one sword he needs for the moment while the other is safe with Roach (probably on the roof or something ;) )

Unfortunately i cant give specific quotes, or to be more precise i can only give them in polish. I dont think that would be very helpful :D
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It was a long time ago when I read the shorts, so it's possible I missed that. Could also be the English translation loses it, or changes the emphasis or otherwise makes it less obvious.

I’m not far into Lady of the Lake now and the framing device is kinda weird... I liked the experimental framing in the previous novel, but this one isn’t quite grabbing me yet.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

We have a date...

Still looks promising...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It does. I'm really looking forward to adding it to my watch list and never actually watching it >_<
Micha DoH

Post by Micha DoH »

Fantastic TV series I'm getting hyped so much that I want to play again Witcher III on my ps4 pro actually I haven't finished this because I switched to Monster Hunter World hehehe.