Messing About With Handhelds (Sony PSP - 07/03/20)

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Suits

Messing About With Handhelds (Sony PSP - 07/03/20)

Post by Suits »

A friend of mine was asking if I had a Gameboy spare, that I could send him, so that he could show is children what life was like before the millennium.

I said, yes, I literally have almost 30. I’ll send you one.

I took this opportunity to have some fun and build him one instead of just sending one out.

This is the process I go through, looking through parts, testing and spares.

I went through a stage a while ago of importing damaged GameBoy Pockets and Color’s (Colour) from Japan and messing about with them, listed as “no-power, junk” I’d get them for about £12 each delivered.

I’ve never not got one of them working again, these things are so durable it’s pretty surprising really. Only serious physical damage or corrosion will end their lives. Even in death they are super helpful too, as you can never have enough spare buttons, rubbers, mother boards, screws, shells, etc….

I’m a big fan of keeping everything as original as possible. However, replacement parts are pretty good to be honest and extremely close to the original parts Nintendo used all those years back – but they lack the spirit and soul of the original, so where possible I always use genuine parts.

There is one constant exception to this though, which I’ll touch on later.

Shells
I have plenty of other original shells, some better than others. Most have a few scuffs and marks, some have some serious marks and some have worn wording or even smoothed plastic around the buttons, that said, I also have some seriously nice ones that do not show their age at all and look beautiful. After a good clean and a polish they all look lovely though.

In this case however I went for a new aftermarket shell, which is very well made, fits tightly together has great quality and goes with the vision I had that I wanted for the look.

Buttons & Rubbers
Generally, you can go with whatever you like here, it’s a totally aesthetic choice, which is pretty fun.

I normally gravitate towards smart and simple, as opposed to clear neon, busy or loud designs. I do have some colourful aftermarket buttons and d-pads, but I tend to not use those and they aren't pictured here.

The MGB doesn’t have a specific button, marked or coloured like say the CGB (Color, with A & B) so you just pick the nicest, least used buttons you have at your disposal.

Rubbers are so important; these are what you feel when you press the buttons and the health and rebound of them are an important part to how the console feels.

These do tend to split and are probably the most perishable item in the system in my experience. They often split, get very grimy and tend to hold liquid and funk, so tend to be very unpleasant to handle.

You want to look at the back on the black pads on the rubbers that make contact with the board and bridge the contacts, you want to avoid heavily used rubbers if you can – obviously, and a clear sign of heavy usage is shine on the pads. So, pick some flat textured ones.

***Worth noting here, that in the end, to add a little bit of detail, I ended up using a lightly translucent lime green power switch, which I though looked cool.

Motherboards
The boards are generally all the same in the MGB (GameBoy Pocket), with a few variants across the range but with clearest difference/improvement being that the second series of boards came with a battery light indicator on the lens, which was absent from the first run of consoles.

So, I picked a previously fully cleaned and tested, tidy little second series board for this build.

***Again, slight change here to what is pictured, as once the console was built and I was testing it noticed that the speaker was every so lighting blowing a little on full volume, so I took the opportunity to switch boards to another with a much better performing speaker.

To keep the original look as best as I can, I use a hair dryer to remove the serial number and model version stickers from shells that I can’t use, that still have good stickers of course.

These then can be re-applied to another shell.

Then, if you are out of other options you can pick up copies very easily.

Screens
Not much to do here really, other than use a nice clear, well polarised screen.

I have a few of these where the polarisers are destroyed, often from being left out in the sun for long durations, window cils, open shelves etc…. The polariser is basically what turns the screens output into a contrast we can see. Now, you can, if you like, do something significant here, which turns the MGB into a very different beast completely.

You can, backlit the screen and bi-vert the image.

Resulting in a MGB you can comfortably play in the dark. To make sure the image doesn’t become washed out and hard to see, you bi-vert the image, which effectively, turns the pixels you used to be able to see off, and the ones that were off, on.

It works very well, but its very fiddley, involves, lots of time patience, tricky soldering and power issues if you don’t install a 5V regulator.

Also, a lot of people think that it takes something away from the original console, which I understand.

In this instance, since it was for a mate who wanted to use it as an example of a bygone time, it was best to leave the display OEM.

Lenses
This is the exception that I mentioned earlier, where I pretty much always use an aftermarket, glass lens.

They are just so much nicer.

They are more resistance to scratches and have a nice weight to them in the hand when playing, they make the console feel sturdier.

I ended up going for a glass version of the original colour and style to keep things familiar.

Parts, picked, sorted and doubled checked – it’s ready to go.

It’s also really important to use original Nintendo screws too, they are so much better quality than anything else I’ve ever been supplied with.

And there you have it.

I also have a penchant for classic Nintendo cases and have quite a few that I have picked up for pennies over the years at car-boots, game bundles, or wherever I see a nice one really.

So, it was time to pick an appropriate case. There was only one obvious choice really.

KSubzero1000

Re: Building A Gameboy Pocket

Post by KSubzero1000 »

The most Suits thread ever.

I applaud your dedication, my dear. :hearts:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Top work. Nothing to add other than I love reading posts like this!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Cool, cheers guys.

Not sure how much interest a topic like this will get on here but thought it would be fun to post anyway.
Kacey

Post by Kacey »

This thing is stunning.

Do you have any experience in putting backlights on GBCs?
Suits

Post by Suits »

Kacey wrote: August 18th, 2019, 8:17 pm This thing is stunning.

Cheers man.

Not yet, no. Not for want of trying either.

The screen I want is a McWill screen but they’re out of stock everywhere. He’s currently working on a newer version you see.

The actual process is very very straight forward.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Fantastic as always! Where did you find all the spare bits? I’m always amazed that you have enough time and space for all your projects. Envious of your patience and skill.

You keeping writing them and I’ll keep reading them!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Glorious thread. I'd love a meet down Suits' way, I genuinely feel comfortable that I wouldn't be attacked with a sword once for the duration.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Thanks everyone.

Stanshall - Swords are by request generally, and I very rarely get asked to supply them. But yeah, come down my neck of the woods whenever you like dude 😎.

Slothford - Well, what started out as buying bundles of GameBoy stuff years ago, or damaged units for pennies, I seem to have amassed quite a few units with good and bad bits.

Plus, it’s become a bit of a relaxation tactic. When I don’t quite fancy playing a game, or just want to chill out, I stick a podcast on and get my screwdrivers out.

It’s rather therapeutic.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Kind of a therapeutic thread to read too, thanks Suits!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Suits wrote: August 18th, 2019, 9:01 pm
Kacey wrote: August 18th, 2019, 8:17 pm This thing is stunning.

Cheers man.

Not yet, no. Not for want of trying either.

The screen I want is a McWill screen but they’re out of stock everywhere. He’s currently working on a newer version you see.

The actual process is very very straight forward.

And with that,.... they just came back into stock :lol: .

Cheers dude, you must have been good luck as Deadpan Robot just got an update of his latest revision !

I grabbed one straight away and after a quick mess about with it - it looks stunning. Like really great.

I going to out this into a new little project I think, a nice backlit GameBoy Colour would be sweeeeet 8-) .

I picked up a special GameBoy Color Light glass lens for it at the same time.

Suits

Post by Suits »

So, I eventually manged to get my hands on one of the second generation backlit McWill LCD’s for the Game Boy Color.

The Game Boy modding scene is currently alive and doing rather well at the moment with hobbyists producing wonderful backlit screens and other devices for use in retro consoles, like Game Boys, Game Gears, Neo Geo Pockets and pretty much anything with a mother board and ribbon.

Generally speaking, when it comes to the Game Boy Color there are two types of LCD’s that are available, the Freckle Shack screen which is made by a modder that goes by the name of BennVenn, who resides in Australia and the McWill screen that is produced by a modder in Europe.

Sadly, as you can probably imagine these are very popular and are often always out of stock.

The latest version of the McWill screen has just been released and promises a total drop in replacement screen for the Game Boy Color, solder free, just a bit of trimming to the shell.

These suddenly became available recently and I jumped at the chance of getting my hands on one and playing about with it.

The LCD itself cost me £75, so it’s not a cheap modification and requires a significant amount of commitment if you want to splash on it.

It’s also worth noting that due to the newer LCD pixel sizes, trying to keep the screen ratio as close to original as possible results in the actual screen being ever so slightly smaller than standard.

Due to this, the original plastic lens from the CGB will give a slightly over framed view, which alters the aesthetic of the console in a way which could be a deal breaker for some – it’s not about seeing the edge of the LCD through the lens !!

With that in mind, most suppliers of aftermarket LCD’s offer an adjusted, glass lens that frames the backlit LCD perfectly, while also taking the opportunity to customise the wording on the lens to say Light (a-la the Japanese only Game Boy Light) it makes the perfect finishing touch to this modification.

So, for the screen, lens and insured delivery this came in at £92 – which is a bit steep, in comparison to other mods and fun stuff.

I also took the opportunity whilst I was in there, to change out the mono speaker that comes with the CGB for an uprated one. It won’t offer anything in terms extra volume without an amplification chip, but it should offer a sharper, more distinct range and for £3 I was willing to pick one up out of interest and change it out.

So here we go.

I chose a tice tidy mother board that came from a low use, tidy system I already had spare.

As I was installing an expensive mod (in comparison) this time, I wanted to match it with a worthy board and this one was ideal.

The glass lens is top quality again, with the addition of the Teal ‘Light’ it really looks the part and fits very well.

The speaker is smaller but seems to be using higher quality components overall.

After a quick de-solder and hardly my best soldering job, the speaker was swapped out in seconds.

Very easy, very quick to do.

Once it was done, I gave the board and speaker a quick test to see if all was well.

I must be honest, I can’t tell the difference, so it’s hard to recommend if it’s worth it or not.

For peace of mind though it is, as a few times I’ve put units back together only to have to take them apart again, as during testing speakers can sometimes appear slightly blown which is very annoying. So from that perspective its worthwhile but sound quality wise – I’m not convinced.

Next it’s time to turn attention to the big tamale, fitting the backlit LCD screen.

The actual connecting of the screen to the motherboard is very simple, it’s as simple as sliding the ribbon into the gate on the Motherboard and closing it down.

The screen draws its power via the ribbon too, so there’s no need to bring power from another point on the board to the screen – very simple, very welcome, very cool.

The only real work that needs to be done, is to the screen housing on the shell.

The McWill board is shaped so that fits nicely into the existing CGB shell, the little edges and angles ensure that it remains aligned and supported properly once fitted.

You do need to trim one edge though to allow for a few chips, however, another benefit of this is that it offers further stability of the screen.

I just used a Sharpie to mark the edge so I know where to cut.

I use a crafting knife, which I heat up with a lighter so that it passes very easily through the edges of the thin plastic.

I then mark an edge along the bottom, which will allow you to simple press over the cut out and it snap off.

A sharp, hot knife will make very short work of this and offer a fairly decent finish too.

Then the board just drops nicely in.

A little thing that I also do is mark the inside of the shell that houses the screen with a black Sharpie, so that if you’re using light coloured shell, you don’t see any of the plastic through the lens next to the screen.

It can be off putting to get glimpses of white or bright plastic when viewing at odd angles, it also just gives a better finish overall I feel.

Always worth doing a quick little test though to makes sure everything is all still firing as it should and you don’t have any issues that will require taking it all apart again.

This screen really is lovely, very bright, very sharp and very responsive.

Everything now’s ready to just fit together, the satisfying bit !!

I picked up new buttons, shell and used the small usage rubbers from the donor console, to give this a nice clean, new feel.

It’s really very impressive, very simple to do and offers wonderful results in terms of being able to play Game Boy, and Game Boy Color carts on a crystal-clear backlit screen.

The addition of a backlight to the console will have a detrimental effect on the power consumption, however, its nothing too dramatic and will still offer usage well past the 15-hour mark.

For people who prefer to play their Game Boy carts on a traditionally shaped console, this is a very decent way of doing so, as opposed to a Game Boy Advance, or SP.

I’m going to keep this and continue using it for my classic carts, it just feels nice in the hands and looks quiet dashing in person also.

Suits

Re: Messing About With Handhelds (Sony PSP - 07/03/20)

Post by Suits »

Decided to get my screwdrivers out again and warmed up the soldering iron.

I wanted to get into something new and the opportunity presented itself to play with a very good condition Sony PSP 1003 in white.

I picked it up knowing that it was faulty but looking at the system it looked very clean, with no physical damage apparent.

The system will boots but with no display or sound, then shortly turns off.

It's clear that upon the initial boot check sequence there is a fault and the system turns off.

I'm 100% new to the PSP having never owned one myself I know nothing about how they come apart or common issues that they suffer.

It's all very exciting.

I managed to get hold of another two damaged systems (another 1000 series and a 2000 series - I was drunk and bought the wrong one) for very cheap and am now going through the process of swapping out parts to find what the fault is.

One system booted and is fine by simply putting a working battery in it, so I'll use this to find the fault in my lovely condition but faulty, white one.

First port of call was to see if its the screen that was faulty, which would be handy.

Few videos and a quick poke around with the right tools and the screen is out of its housing.

Then I did the same with the good system and swapped the screen's over.

Sadly, the screen still didn't boot on the white one and the same failed boot sequence happened.

I also put the screen into the scruffy black one just to double check and it booted with image, so I can 100% rule the screen out as the fault.

With the screen ruled out it's now onto more complicated things.

My next plan is to swap the main mother board out as I'm thinking its that. This will be a job and totally untrodden territory for me, so I'll start with the white one first, as it's already faulty and if I break or damage anything its not the end of the world as I know the black scruffy one boots and runs fine.

My plan is to hopefully get both running but at worst case, one really neat and tidy example so I can play Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles running on it :twisted: .

Only one of these has any life or ability to charge at all. Sod these things.

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Nice project. Get them hacked when you've fixed them! Or at least one of them..
Suits

Post by Suits »

After coming up short with the screen swap, my next hunch was the mother board, so I set about swapping this out in the hope it was the fault.

It's my first time working on a PSP so I made myself comfy, had the football on the radio and a cup of tea in support.

Taking this apart is actually pretty simple once you get into rhythm and style.

I also take lots of pictures (you'd never guess) and organise the screws in a way that works for me regards ensuring everything goes back in the correct order and with the correct screws.

There's only three types of screw in the PSP and they are all visibly different and easy to spot which goes into what hole.

The motherboard on the PSP is the middle board, as the door mechanism and laser are actual behind the motherboard, so you don't have to disassemble everything to get it out.

Once I'd taken apart the white faulty PSP and was happy with the order and method, I took apart the black, working, scruffy one.

There was nothing visually different between the boards and I couldn't see anything obvious that would indicate a fault.

These are the two boards, the black board is the bottom board that I marked with B.

It seems at quick glance that there's about 3, 5A micro fuses on the PSP mother boards, perhaps one of these could have blown which is causing the fault, I have a tester but I can't repair them anyway, besides, I wasn't sure that the MB was the issue yet, so I just went ahead with the swap anyway.

After a quick, but careful re-assemble, I crudely connected everything and tried my luck...

IT LIVES !!!!!

The feeling you get when things boot up and work, is so addictive.

It's unbelievably satisfying.

So, once I was happy I gave everything a nice deep clean with isopropanol. That said, this console has hardly been used, it was clear from the rubbers and button contacts.

Perhaps it was a fuse on the MB that went and cut the consoles life short very quickly meaning that it didn't even have the chance to be used.

Reassembled, tested and all is well.

Happy days, going to get myself Castelvania: The Dracula X Chronicles and enjoy Rondo of Blood on this.
Alex79uk wrote: March 7th, 2020, 2:27 pm Get them hacked when you've fixed them! Or at least one of them..
I'll look into this also dude and see what can be done.

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Looking good! Also, who knew the motherboards were shaped like South America!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The PSP is super easy to reflash these days Update it to the latest official Sony one (cause you may as well have the latest bug fixes) and then find one of the many patches that open it up.

After doing that I added a little thing that lets me live patch games that are running from disc, which is how I got FFT to look like this instead of the incorrect aspect stretched slowed down mess it normally is: Image