The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
JaySevenZero
Admin

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

Post by JaySevenZero »

So very impressed with Netflix's Dark Crystal series so far (seven of ten episodes watched at the time of writing) maintaining a genuine fidelity with the original film but taking it to an altogether higher level with its series format to achieve a far greater depth to the world-building and characters, coupled with the simply stunning visuals that modern techniques and technology allow for.

The casting is great too, mixing seasoned Henson professionals with well-known and eclectic actors, such as Awkwafina, Helena Bonham Carter and Toby Jones but it's been Simon Pegg voicing The Chamberlain who has been something of a revelation in capturing the essence of Barry Dennen's original performance in what is the most recognisable of all the Skeksis. To cap it off it has Daniel Pemberton's perfectly understated score, coming in hot after his incredible Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse and this week's game release of Knights & Bikes scores.

All in all, I feel this series is gonna resonate with me for quite a while afterward just because I haven't seen anything quite like it in many a year.

James

Re: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

Post by James »

We've only watched the first episode so far, but I have to agree. I really felt they did justice to the original's look, feel and world, but added so much in character-building, world-building, and adding a sense of dynamic movement to the puppets.

I know it won't be popular for me to say, but the film's puppets, for all they were intricate and beautiful, didn't always move or interact with one-another in a way I found believable. I felt that Labyrinth, for example, papered over this issue by having human actors to bridge the gap when it came to characters interacting. Last night, watching the series, I was blown away with how much they seemed to overcome all of those issues. In part, it looks they have used some CG to animate on top of the puppets, but I think the way it's being shot (particularly the camera movement) is a big factor.

Can't recommend this series highly enough, and really glad to hear that (at least to episode 7) it carries through. Am now getting hopeful for the upcoming game, The Dark Crystal: Age Of Resistance Tactics, too.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Probably going to watch a bit of it this weekend.

While we’re on the subject, there’s a pretty interesting whistlestop tour of Jim Henson’s career on youtube here: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp ... EQgoV9CpYm
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

There's also a substantial documentary included after the final episode that covers the making of process and offers a fair amount of insight into the production of this amazing show.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

For the making of? I say yes watch the series first.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ThirdMan wrote: September 17th, 2019, 10:33 am I'm always unsure of how to handle prequels (thanks, George!)
As a rule of thumb, release order is usually the intended way to watch (or play, read, etc...) any multiple-part series.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

For the most part, I'd say Ksub's right

Although, for this series, I'd say you don't necessarily need to have watched the movie beforehand.

Seeing as the original was made over 35 years ago, the series was designed for both a new audience who have little to no knowledge of the original and for those who remember it. So there's nothing lost whatsoever if you start with the series

Having seen the film first I can say that I definitely got a kick out of seeing the threads connecting the film and the series and catching the little references etc.

That being said, watching the series first could very well lead to the film becoming a little disappointing as it's leagues behind the series in terms of performance, cinematography, score and its visuals.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

If it helps I can barely remember anything about the film, haven't seen it in 20ish years, maybe more, and 6 episodes in I am utterly in love with this series.

It was recommended to me by a friend on the strength of the visuals, and while it does indeed look superb (and like nothing else around at the moment), I have been genuinely taken aback at the level of quality of every other aspect of the production, from the writing, the world-building, the incredible voice acting and puppeteering work and the wonderful soundtrack.

The Gelflings and podlings are brilliantly realised and absolutely adorable - I love them even when (especially when?!!?) they start to randomly sing. Without giving anything away, there's a scene about halfway through the series where where the heroes sit around a campfire singing in a made up language - one of them even starts playing a flute I think - and it could have been laughably goofy if staged by a less capable creative team, but in the moment I found it so moving that l almost teared up.

It really is quite special.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

KissMammal wrote: September 17th, 2019, 8:54 pm but in the moment I found it so moving that l almost teared up.
You weren't the only one!
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Out of curiosity - the idea of the Skeksis and the Mystics
Spoiler: show
being one and the same (and each one having an opposite/counterpart)
- is that an invention of the Netflix series, or is that something from the movie? (as I say, I can remember almost nothing about the movie).
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

It's in the original, they've just expanded on it.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Genuinely gutted that Netflix have canceled this incredible show after just one season. I thought it was one of the most visually resplendent shows I've watched in a while and next to The Mandalorian, one of the best series I watched last year.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh really? That's a shame - every single person I know who watched it absolutely raved about it!