Technical Q&A - all computers

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
RoboticMonk3y

Re: Technical Q&A - all computers

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

TomFum wrote:Its not important but it just makes things alot easier when you come to do a reinstall of windows, be it because you get a virus that kills your system or be it because you just wanna reinstall to tidy things up (i do mine every 6months or so), you dont have to re-download all of your games ( i have over 100 on my steam) again as there all on a different hard drive. Theres one thing you need to do which is make a copy of all your saved games but other than that its just easier.

See what im saying??
On this note.

Once you've set up your PC how you want it, and before you start installing too much stuff on there, Make yourself a windows backup/recovery disc. put it into a case and place it into the bottom of your pc case.
Then 6 months down the line when windows is running slow and bogged down, you have a recovery DVD in an easy place to find.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

iwatttfodiwwfa wrote:This was the result. :roll:
I presume it wasn't sold on the premise of being a gaming machine!? Laptop cards do struggle with performance compared to desktop versions, even really expensive gaming laptops. It would be quite a feat to get them competitive, new GPUs are nearly as big as a laptop now! :lol:
RoboticMonk3y wrote:...put it into a case and place it into the bottom of your pc case...
Nice!
James

Post by James »

magicjoef wrote:I presume it wasn't sold on the premise of being a gaming machine!? Laptop cards do struggle with performance compared to desktop versions, even really expensive gaming laptops. It would be quite a feat to get them competitive, new GPUs are nearly as big as a laptop now! :lol:
Nah, but I did want 3D graphics to run some PC-specific games. Starcraft II and Civ V both run reasonably, for instance.
TomFum

Post by TomFum »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:
On this note.

Once you've set up your PC how you want it, and before you start installing too much stuff on there, Make yourself a windows backup/recovery disc. put it into a case and place it into the bottom of your pc case.
Then 6 months down the line when windows is running slow and bogged down, you have a recovery DVD in an easy place to find.
Never done this myself, its good advice but i would rather do a fresh install because if you do a recovery disk your still going over whats on there rather than actually wiping and formatting so theres absolutely no chance of anything coming back

iwatttfodiwwfa wrote:Nah, but I did want 3D graphics to run some PC-specific games. Starcraft II and Civ V both run reasonably, for instance.
I really dont see the point in wanting 3D on a PC due to its high frame rates with a descent set up but thats your preference, but if you want this your deff gonna need money as 3D monitors are still expensive and your better off going the SLI/Crossfire route as its less stressful on your PC. Just my opinion
PlexShaw

Post by PlexShaw »

Tom, I don't think James is referring to 3D as in the kind thing that requires special glasses and gives people headaches. I think he just means 3D video acceleration.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I might actually be selling my HD 5850, if anyone is interested just send me a PM. I don't want a load for it, just looking for a bit to put towards an upgrade I've nearly talked myself into! :\

It still ranks pretty well and will play pretty much anything at 1920 x 1080 at very good mid to high settings.
James

Post by James »

PlexShaw wrote:I don't think James is referring to 3D as in the kind thing that requires special glasses and gives people headaches. I think he just means 3D video acceleration.
Spot on, Paul. Thanks for setting straight my confusingly worded statement. I'm still stuck in turn-of-the-century PC gaming when having 3D acceleration was a big deal. 'Discrete graphics' would have been a better description.
:-)
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

I went ahead and ordered that SSD and it should be here in a day or two. Any tips before i go ahead and do the whole install windows 7 shenanigans? Anything I need to check or whatnot from windows?

i'm going to be installing Windows 7 using this method as I can't locate my Win 7 Disc but do have my serial no

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248995/h ... _disc.html
James

Post by James »

I put a basket together on eBuyer to approximate (as best I could) the Tom's Hardware $1000 system from August (here). Needless to say, at £946.02, it's a little beyond my £500 budget. Hmm, time for a rethink perhaps, because that system looks very nice indeed. :|
James

Post by James »

Can't believe what I'm doing, but I'm about to order the following:

Case: Antec 300
MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V - for the built-in WiFi.
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
Cooler: Thermalright Macho - for when I overclock.
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance (1600MHz DDR3)
GPU: 2GB EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC
PSU: 650W Corsair TXM - no link to this one, but it's modular to help with cable management.
SSD: 120GB Corsair Force 3
HDD: 1TB Seagate
Capture Card: Avermedia Live Gamer HD - internal card for capturing both PC and console video.
Plus some other necessary bits and bobs (optical drive, etc.)

Somebody... anybody... STOP ME! :shock:

Seriously though, advice on the components (especially the capture card - is this a decent option?) would be moist gratefully received. [I'm leaving that typographic error right where it is!]
Is there anything that stands out as unnecessary or inadequate? Thanks muchly. :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Ooh, moist gratitude...
TomFum

Post by TomFum »

Nice set up dude, i hope you brought this. I dont see why you would want to overclock it as it will be fine as it is, but each to there own.

Now buy battlefield and come play when your all set up.
countstex

Post by countstex »

The only thing I'd worry about it relying on WiFi.. 15 years in IT have taught me to trust WiFi as far as you can throw it ;) I prefer a good old fashioned Cat-5 cable myself, and where it's not local to the machine some Ethernet over mains HomePlug. Fire and Forget.
countstex

Post by countstex »

TomFum wrote:Nice set up dude, i hope you brought this. I dont see why you would want to overclock it as it will be fine as it is, but each to there own.
The i5 3570s are very overclockable as the mid-range Intels always tend to be, more power with zero instability. I have mine notched to 4.4Ghz just from the in-built ASUS switch.
James

Post by James »

countstex wrote:
TomFum wrote:Nice set up dude, i hope you brought this. I dont see why you would want to overclock it as it will be fine as it is, but each to there own.
The i5 3570s are very overclockable as the mid-range Intels always tend to be, more power with zero instability. I have mine notched to 4.4Ghz just from the in-built ASUS switch.
That's exactly the speed I'm looking at. Probably overkill, but since it's so easily doable I want to see what effect it has.

As for the Wi-Fi, I'll have the ability to trail a cable across the floor if playing online, but I don't want that to be permanent. I'll take a look at ethernet over mains though as, like you, I'm wary of wireless.

Thanks, guys. :)
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

I've got my gaming pc connected to the LAN through homeplugs and even with the old 80mb plugs I have it has never missed a beat, well worth doing if you have no option to run a cable
Pipsqweek

Post by Pipsqweek »

Guy_JD wrote:I've got my gaming pc connected to the LAN through homeplugs and even with the old 80mb plugs I have it has never missed a beat, well worth doing if you have no option to run a cable
I'm interested in setting this up in the house, router is on the ground floor plugged into the master BT socket, PS3/Xbox/PC on the middle floor and wifey's PC on the top floor.
Any good packages you'd recommend for use on BT Infinity 2? House was bought from new and is less than 5 yrs old (if that info helps at all).
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

I'm not really up to speed on what the best ones to get are but these look as good as any
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/still-a ... 518?aui=38
Al82

Post by Al82 »

I think you can get 500mbps powerline adapters now, but they're costly.

It might be worth considering the new wireless standard - 802.11ac as there are a few products starting to appear on the market:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/cisco-lin ... ral_review
http://www.trustedreviews.com/netgear-r ... ral_review

Seems like it's pretty good.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

I'm thinking of upgrading my graphics card but unsure what to get. I'm finding I'm playing more PC games now I have it hooked up to my TV and would like to play games on high or ultra if possible. I have an I3 processer, 8 gb of RAM, SSD, Radeon HD 5770 and Win 7. I was thinking of upgrading the graphics card to a GTX 660? I don't want to spend more than £200.

http://www.ebuyer.com/396967-gigabyte-g ... n660oc-2gd

Any thoughts? Should I instead/as well maybe upgrade to an I5?