The C&R football thread - armchairs & plastics welcome ;-)

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
ratsoalbion
Admin

The C&R football thread - armchairs & plastics welcome ;-)

Post by ratsoalbion »

As some of you may have twigged I am a (almost lifelong) Brighton & Hove Albion supporter. After more than a decade without a proper home and playing in front of 6000 at a rented local athletics track we are now in a state of the art new stadium (started at 22,500 capacity last season, now up to 27,500 and up to 30,750 by the end of 2012/2013) and going well in the Championship. Next two games are away at Watford & Millwall (although I'm a home season ticket holder I don't go away much sadly due to the money and time involved) before a home fixture against Birmingham (I'll be in Spain for this one). Excitingly instead of Millwall at The Den this weekend I'll be taking in Barcelona Vs. Granada at Camp Nou if all goes to plan.

Big week in the Champions League, with Real Madrid Vs. Man City being an obvious standout fixture.
Dante Fireseed

Re: The C&R football thread - armchairs & plastics welcome ;

Post by Dante Fireseed »

I too am an Albion fan - of the West Brom variety :)

Great start to the season so far, long may it continue! Local derby coming up soon in WBA v Villa and I will be there (although sitting with the Villa fans) ;)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Ah yes, I've definitely seen us play the Baggies/Throstles a few times over the years, although the two English Albions often seem to be in different divisions.
Always felt like they're probably a nice club.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'm a Tottenham Hotspur fan for my sins. I'm the anti glory supporter as at school I loved football but all friends were Man Utd/Leeds/Liverpool fans and even though they were not great I liked the style so Spurs it was. Living up north I only tend to do one or two home games a season. I love away days so do most fixtures up here. Looking forward to this season as I've wanted AVB since before Chelsea and the fact we've got him on a free and he's hungry to prove the press/pundits wrong is great.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Been watching football for 30 years now so I've seen a lot of Tottenham sides (on the TV), usually underachieving, but never getting relegated!
Gareth Bale is a sensational player, though I'm sad he's had his ears pinned as he's lost his Donkey Kong look-a-like status.
:(
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

I'm a third generation Watford supporter. I only get to a few games a season these days, unfortunately. Football is expensive enough without having to pay for a train ticket from Leeds to Watford! I guess you could say I'm an armchair supporter but I prefer to refer to myself as a semi-retired veteran. I did my "tour of duty" in the 90s, getting to over 40 games a season for almost ten years. We were pretty dire for many of those too.

I'm not really sure how I feel about football these days. It still fills me with pride when we do well, and I curse Watford when we concede late goals, etc. I'm just not sure what my dreams are for my team. I've seen us play in the Premiership with little success. It's solely a money game these days and the chances of Watford repeating their success of the late 70s/early 80s are pretty much non-existent. Like a number of fellow Hornets I know, I'm happy for us to remain in the Championship and to hopefully be competitive. I'll support them through thick and thin but the Premiership can be a disheartening place when you're not competitive. We've had real money issues too off the pitch, so I guess us staying solvent is a more realistic dream.

Ultimately though, I'm proud to support a club that my father supports and that his father before him supported. Supporting your family team and not being seduced by the glamour of the Man Utds, etc of this world gives you a bit of perspective too. Humphry Osmond once said of LSD; "To fathom hell or soar angelic, take a pinch of psychedelic". The same sentiment can definitely be applied to supporting a team like Watford!

PS TOMMY MOONEY IS GOD
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah, love Bale hope he cuts out the diving. I'm missing Modric though he's such a fantastic player. We've flirted with relegation a couple of times and there's never a dull moment at the club.

I used to go watch all England internationals at home for around 6 years from 2000-2006. Being there for the last ever game at Wembley was something I'll never forget (shame about the result). Great times and memories with friends but the commitment of paying for the wedding and gradually falling out of love with the national team made me give it up. Didn't even watch the last two qualifiers.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The Sonic Mole wrote:Like a number of fellow Hornets I know, I'm happy for us to remain in the Championship and to hopefully be competitive. I'll support them through thick and thin but the Premiership can be a disheartening place when you're not competitive. We've had real money issues too off the pitch, so I guess us staying solvent is a more realistic dream.

Ultimately though, I'm proud to support a club that my father supports and that his father before him supported. Supporting your family team and not being seduced by the glamour of the Man Utds, etc of this world gives you a bit of perspective too.
I hear all this. My Uncle, Grandfather & Great Grandfather were all Brighton supporters, going all the way back to not long after the club was formed in 1901.
As regards to getting the Premier League - I also fear that we will go up and it'll be less fun, being beaten most weeks and struggling to stay up. However, you have to always aim for the highest otherwise what's the point? In my 30 years I've seen Man City in the third tier and look at them now. So many of the current 92 have been two or three divisions away from where they are now that I have to believe it's possible for Brighton to at least do a Norwich/Leicester/Reading and have periods of top flight stability, possibly even Europa League football.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

DomsBeard wrote:I used to go watch all England internationals at home for around 6 years from 2000-2006. Being there for the last ever game at Wembley was something I'll never forget (shame about the result). Great times and memories with friends but the commitment of paying for the wedding and gradually falling out of love with the national team made me give it up. Didn't even watch the last two qualifiers.
I was madly in love with England (on TV to be honest) from around 1985 to 2006, but I - like yourself and so many others - have greatly fallen out of affection for the team. I do still watch them and am vaguely optinmistic for the longer term future.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

My interest started to decline when Sven began subbing the ''big club'' players at half time in most friendlys. Then the Gary Neville led boycott attempt after Rio ''forgot'' his drugs test. Also John Terry. Can't expect to be passionate and support a team captained by someone I hate with an absolute passion.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Being born in Liverpool, growing up in Liverpool and being well educated I am of course an Everton fan ;) As is the way in Liverpool though, although my mother and father are also both blues my brother is red. And the rest of the family is pretty split too, so more red than blue I think. I'm a very laid back supporter, I've not been to a game for about 6 years I think, but I keep in touch via the scores and have the Everton App installed on my phone for latest news etc.
Lego Solo

Post by Lego Solo »

Life long spurs fan, half my family are from that side of London.

The last few seasons have been great for us, the development of our team, our style of play and our finishing positions. But then we go sack old Arrry!? Bring in AVB, who lets face it hasn't got of to the best of starts and seems to want to sell half our team (modric was on his way out either way so he doesn't count). I'll be surprised if we are fighting for a top 4 finish this season! Hope I'm wrong, I really do, but it's going to be a struggle!

I've been meaning to go along to a few Brighton games as I live just an hour along the coast. Was seeing someone there and every time I passed the stadium I was very impressed. Plus there's a very thin spurs connection with poyet lol
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Leeds and proud. Listening to our match against Hull as I type and we've just gone one up in the 7th minuite :):):):):)

BATES OUT
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

United fan. I have been known to get somewhat stroppy though, so I'll try and keep that purely to Twitter/people in my vicinity.
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

NokkonWud wrote:United fan. I have been known to get somewhat stroppy though, so I'll try and keep that purely to Twitter/people in my vicinity.
TOM CLEVERLEY :P
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Europa League tonight where my team seem to be more excited about us wearing our 'cup' shirt (exact same shirt different sponsors) for the first time rather than us playing Lazio!
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Pisses me off when teams don't take the Europa League seriously. I used to love watching Leeds in that completion.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Buckled Kipper wrote:Pisses me off when teams don't take the Europa League seriously. I used to love watching Leeds in that completion.
Spurs have a near enough full time out tonight, AVB's taking it seriously! :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The Europa League is a Mickey Mouse cup until Brighton are in it when suddenly it will become a very big deal.
steg666

Post by steg666 »

Great game last night, not so much to quality or the performance from Liverpool but any neutral can't help but enjoy a game like that one.

I know we played mostly a reserve side but I liked seeing the players who came in actually playing for some pride instead of the sulking like I've seen in previous years. It goes without saying that if we defend like this against Man United on Sunday we'll get stuffed 5-0!