Well Twitter has been interesting today hasn't it?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
FemalePheromones

Well Twitter has been interesting today hasn't it?

Post by FemalePheromones »

I don't know if everyone here follows you guys on Twitter so just thought I'd bring it up.

What a day.

I'm glad you stick by yourselves and don't bend for anyone though. Keep up the good work.
Stanshall

Re: Well Twitter has been interesting today hasn't it.

Post by Stanshall »

Every six months or so, you get one dude and I always wonder how the hell they only just clicked...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah. If people want to think like that there's little argument you can give them to change their mind, but I did object to the whole 'the vast majority of people don't think like you' argument. Think like what? Progressive, inclusive, reasonable humans?

Huh, actually, maybe he had a point...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Stanshall wrote: November 13th, 2019, 8:00 pm Every six months or so, you get one dude and I always wonder how the hell they only just clicked...
This right here.
FemalePheromones

clippa wrote: November 13th, 2019, 8:34 pm Extreme left? What does that even mean? You either believe everyone is equal or you don't. There aren't degrees of equality, unless you're a communist pig in a bloody orwell novel. You can't be too left, can you?
This is something that really gets to me. A few years ago thinking everyone should be treated equally was fairly normal. Now apparently it's extreme left.

I saw a similar thing this morning with people kicking off in the comments of a Charlie's Angels review. Apparently political correctness has gone mad when a film is made about badass women based on a 70s TV series about badass women.
FemalePheromones

Stanshall wrote: November 13th, 2019, 8:00 pm Every six months or so, you get one dude and I always wonder how the hell they only just clicked...
It's mad what it starts though. Someone commented saying they didn't agree with the guy but weren't happy they saw Jay call him a dickhead their feed. THEIR FEED. As if Jay broke into their feed in the middle of the night and wrote dickhead on their mirror but aimed at someone else.

How dare you call someone a dickhead on my feed. For fuck sake. Seriously.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I have to be honest, I didn't see any of that but sounds like the usual performative principles Twitter bullshit.

Edit: Oh, I see. I see that 'vast majority' comment as total ignorance, assuming the podcast is produced to promote a specific agreed agenda and/or thinking that the purpose of any creative endeavour is to appeal to the majority. Plenty of people think that, though. I personally don't see a lot of malice in that mindset, it's just complete ignorance.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Was wondering what game they had covered which got some people in a tizzy, seen it was MGSV. Oh, it was a particularly "political" episode? Well the Metal Gear games do deal with the military industrial complex so I was expecting the "far leftists" at Cane and Rinse to discuss anti-imperialism for 2 hours or so and barely mention the game. Have not listened to the episode yet so that MIGHT be the episode but from what little rumblings I am hearing on Twitter, apparently Quiet and her revealing outfit is the cause of controversy. Bloody hell....

How come when people whinge about games becoming "political", it is always identity bullshit like 'there is a woman in it" or "someone mentions they are gay for a second or two"? This is always the stuff that causes drama and I mean, why? I mean if there was an actual ideology that the person disagreed with that would be one thing and we can have a discussion about it but crying just because a character has a different skin colour or sexuality is just baffling. A really good example of this is when I was reading the comments under a Mother 3 video on Youtube. One person was asking why it was not getting released outside Japan and they got replies saying that it was politically controversial. Now I was thinking that while the game does have some anti capitalist musings, the Mother series in general is one of Nintendo's more niche offerings and I doubt much outside attention would be paid to it. However, I read the comment further and what the replies were actually referring to were the characters known as "Magypsies" which are non binary. Apparently there was a worry that SJWs would be upset at their representation and try to get the game cancelled or something. So even games that have an outright political message get said message overlooked in favour of some identity culture war nonsense. That is apparently the only politics these outrage addicts give a stuff about. God it makes me want to drink.

Besides, whenever these topics get bought up on the podcast the crew is fairly chill about it and does not pass judgement on the listener if they like or dislike a game. So even if you are not aligned with the hosts politically, no one on the podcast is even particularly obnoxious about it. They are a far cry from some of the holier than thou scolds on the woker corners of Twitter. You have to be an absurd Daily Mail caricature if you think Cane and Rinse is too far left for you.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

All good points but I nevertheless wait with baited breath for the tiddy game issue.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Fun story, we also received an email last weekend admonishing (or in his words, “correcting”) us for including the post (forgive me but I forget who made the obviously valid point) which suggested that the US dropping nuclear bombs on Japanese civilians wasn’t a great thing to do.

So yeah, even reading out another person’s opinion that nuclear attacks were effectively a war crime, if not a crime against humanity, marks us as extreme leftists.

That’s the shitty place we as a society are in right now.
FemalePheromones

Leon I've got to say I'm glad you don't bend to these people and stand your ground. A lot of people would do anything to keep their followers on board. I respect your integrity. It obviously helps that atleast in this situation the follower was a complete idiot.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Oh hell yes, bollocks are we ever going to attempt to appease those people, even if we do sometimes engage with them in a relatively civil fashion. Sometimes less so.
FemalePheromones

The fact that he had to double down too and claim he had been paying £20 to the Patreon each month as if you wouldn't have that information!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Embarrassing, eh?
FemalePheromones

He kept digging though didn't he.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

ratsoalbion wrote: November 13th, 2019, 10:35 pm Fun story, we also received an email last weekend admonishing (or in his words, “correcting”) us for including the post (forgive me but I forget who made the obviously valid point) which suggested that the US dropping nuclear bombs on Japanese civilians wasn’t a great thing to do.

So yeah, even reading out another person’s opinion that nuclear attacks were effectively a war crime, if not a crime against humanity, marks us as extreme leftists.

That’s the shitty place we as a society are in right now.
Reminds me of a Q and A Jeremy Corbyn did with the BBC where some belligerent audience member kept badgering him on wanting to nuke the Middle East and the oh so wonderful UK press were presenting Corbyn as a lunatic for NOT wanting to drop nuclear bombs at the slightest provocation. Felt like I was living in bloody opposite world.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Point taken but I think, in so many words, you’ve pretty much just reiterated the point of the comment we featured.

Of course, this email was much more about what a great move it was on behalf of the US because “net gains”, with an ill-concealed stork on for nuclear might.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

ThirdMan wrote: November 13th, 2019, 11:22 pm Well, that was interesting.

With our objective hats on, can we really say the show has changed that much over the years? I don't think it has and I'm not sure why it's being levelled at the team. Is it simply because there are more female contributors? The reason I became a regular listener in the first place was because everyone on the panel seemed very clued in. To me it feels like the same show. I'd like to see this so-called move to the left laid out in detail.

I'm not saying the show hasn't changed in some respects because it clearly has. It was a bit more 'blokey' in the early days and I can think of one throwaway remark about a female character that simply wouldn't make it through the edit these days, but that's one sentence in literally thousands of hours of podcasts.

Does this type of thing happen often?
I think we’ve probably evolved somewhat, and I think the discussion around games and therefore the ‘level’ on which we can operate has moved on too. Also the people who make up the panels are older, and just different people too.

But when it comes down to it, most of us, the longest serving contributors, haven’t had a political epiphany since 2011 - I think most of us have the same fundamental beliefs as we did back then, pretty much.

It doesn’t happen too often at all to be honest. It would probably occur a lot more if we had a much bigger following, so we’d have to take the rough with the smooth there.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

Just echoing the messages of support for the CaR team. I’ve been listening to the pod for years because of the balance you bring to the games you review, and the lack of ‘dude-bro’ culture that turns me off so many other gaming sites. If certain parties feel attacked when you call out elements of the games they enjoy then they can constructively respond or find somewhere else to vent (there are plenty of those spaces online currently).
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Appreciate the kind words from you good folks. We are well aware that the people who *really* like what we do like it because of how we do it, not despite of.