Whatcha Been Listening To?

This is the place where you can confab about all the other stuff besides videogames.
Alex79uk

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by Alex79uk » April 7th, 2019, 2:28 pm

Brilliant free CD with this months issue of Retro Gamer magazine - full of synth/retrowave type remixes of some old video game tunes. It's only on sale for another week or so before the next issue is out so grab it whilst you can!

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » June 4th, 2019, 5:00 pm

A friend and I have started a classic rock podcast and the first band we tackled was Cream, a group I have very little experience with. It was fun going through all their albums, but it didn't turn me into a Cream fan. I like Disraeli Gears a lot, but so much of their music feels like experiments and that the never found their true direction. It's weird how such an important and influential band never produced a truly perfect album.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » June 5th, 2019, 5:46 am

You're getting very busy with new podcasts lately! I must admit Cream are a bit of a black hole in my music knowledge. I know they're Clapton's old band, and of course I'm familiar with Sunshine Of Your Love, but other than I Feel Free, which we used to cover in my band and was a lot of fun to play, I couldn't name another song by them!

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » June 5th, 2019, 3:28 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 5:46 am
You're getting very busy with new podcasts lately! I must admit Cream are a bit of a black hole in my music knowledge. I know they're Clapton's old band, and of course I'm familiar with Sunshine Of Your Love, but other than I Feel Free, which we used to cover in my band and was a lot of fun to play, I couldn't name another song by them!
It was the same for me! I knew White Room, Tales of Brave Ulysses and Sunshine but, just like you, I always just called them Clapton's old band!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » June 5th, 2019, 3:30 pm

They also had arguably one of the greatest ever drummers to be fair, in Ginger Baker.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » June 5th, 2019, 3:33 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 3:30 pm
They also had arguably one of the greatest ever drummers to be fair, in Ginger Baker.
Yes, Baker is a great drummer. I didn't love his songs like Blue Condition or Pressed Rat, but Toad was almost a transformation when I listened to it. He's incredibly tight throughout all their songs.

clippa

Post by clippa » June 16th, 2019, 6:58 am

I can remember this cool kids school trip to the beach. I wasn't invited, obviously, but the chess club were.
I was on holiday at the time and llama spice (that absolute neck of a man) straggled over to me like a bundle of broken giraffe legs wrapped in a jumper, kicked sand into my eyes, lent down, and with his breath absolutely reeking of cool breeze doritos, viciously hissed into my face "sprout life! Sixth form, baby!"

They all calmed down after they got that "angry young man" phase out of their system, but I'll never forget the harmonica guy. He had really bad spinal injuries, stinking of TCP and day old puss, that neck brace had three tanks of inhalable morphine and some dentistry equipment on the back. The harmonica sounds were dubbed on after the fact.
He twisted my shirt collar in his fists and warned me not to tell the teachers as they were all going to the pub and they'd be coming back this way half cut (and maybe a bit "spliffed" if they found their contact) and if I was still there I was getting the full strength sproutboy treatment threefold.

The girl looked really frightened all throughout this exchange, I don't think she wanted to be there at all. Looked like she'd just fallen in with the wrong crowd at the library and couldn't find a way out.
I got the vague sense that they were all related but the look in the girls eyes wouldn't let me even consider that possibility.

They ended up all eighties and overproduced but there was still some really good stuff there if you were prepared to dig amongst the gems and the rubies.

I'll have to post some Martin Stephenson in the future, another really good songwriter from these parts.

Jesus fucking christ!

Don't huff morphine, kids.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » June 16th, 2019, 7:17 am

Aw, Paddy’s still a genius. He just got old (and went nearly blind).

clippa

Post by clippa » June 16th, 2019, 7:19 am

My dad got me into them, loved that solo album he made when he was losing his sight and did nothing but listen to talk radio. My dad hated it. Sometimes I wonder about him.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » June 18th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Cane and Rinse old episodes are doing their magical disappearing act again on Apple podcasts. Similar on Spotify but other apps seem ok.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » June 18th, 2019, 7:36 pm

That’s us, we’re having a few issues and have been trying some things out. Hopefully only temporary.

clippa

Post by clippa » June 21st, 2019, 4:42 am

clippa wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 6:58 am
dentistry equipment
Not sure why that made me chuckle but I'm pretty fucking sure why the rest didn't.

Single and ready to mingle according to google.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 3rd, 2019, 2:00 am

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » July 3rd, 2019, 4:51 pm

I like that. It reminds me of both early 90s Pavement, early 2000s Mercury Rev with a tiny tiny Britpop element to it (not a dirty word in my gaff). Nice one. Never heard of them.

I've been listening to Atlas Sound - Quick Canal:

https://youtu.be/C79Q7MV4Fgo

I thought saints were born saints
Then I looked in the dirt
And found wisdom is learned
Through a costly process of success and failure.

It's a colossal amalgam of motorik, shoegaze and heartfelt femme fatale from about ten years ago or so. I never get tired of it.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 8th, 2019, 8:33 am

Ooh, that's lovely!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 8th, 2019, 10:31 am

If you like that, you might like this. I love it.