Whatcha Been Listening To?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
ratsoalbion
Admin

Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by ratsoalbion »

A.K.A. The C&R (non-videogames) music thread.

I'm at work right now so I can't post a yootoob vid, but according to my indie muso chums at neonfiller.com, the new one from David Byrne & St. Vincent is potential album of the year material.

The most recent gig I went to see was the incredible, tragi-comic Mark Eitzel doing an intimate set in Hove. Prior to that it was an astonishing set from the legendary Afghan Whigs at the beautiful Koko in Camden.
The Sonic Mole

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by The Sonic Mole »

Really into World Music by Goat at the moment. It has a great sound reminiscent of various 70s Afro scenes. Definitely one of my picks of 2012.

General Aquila

Post by General Aquila »

Really love The XX new album Coexsist, it's not a massive change from their first but there is enough to make it interesting.

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Nine Inch Nails (or indeed anything Reznor touches) is never far from my iPod, but I've been listening to a lot of Emperor the last few days. Their later, more progressive stuff.
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

I recently went back to Sigur Ros's () and I've had it on heavy rotation since.
Wizard Of Odd wrote:I've been listening to a lot of Emperor the last few days. Their later, more progressive stuff.
Are you a fan of any of Ihsahn's solo stuff? After was my favourite album of 2010.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I haven't heard that. I must admit black metal isn't a genre I know that much about but from time to time I'll go through a phase of listening to nothing but. I've dug out a load of old Darkthrone and Bathory albums this weekend. I'll definitely have a listen to that one you mentioned though if it's good.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just had a really quick flick through it on Spotify, it sounds awesome! Loving that saxophone on the second track haha. Definitely going to be investing some time in this later.
TomFum

Post by TomFum »

Im loving this tune atm, proper harps back to the old garage days. Amazing track

PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Wizard Of Odd wrote:Just had a really quick flick through it on Spotify, it sounds awesome! Loving that saxophone on the second track haha. Definitely going to be investing some time in this later.
Haha yeah that's the first time I've heard a sax used like that. Really fun and novel in that track. He uses it more melodically later into the album too, lovely unique sound. Really interesting how a lot of veteran black metal folks from the 90s have moved towards that proggy style while still staying bleak as hell. Enslaved's recent output is well worth checking out too, especially Axioma Ethica Odini.
mik

Post by mik »

General Aquila wrote:Really love The XX new album Coexsist, it's not a massive change from their first but there is enough to make it interesting.
YES! They're rapidly becoming my favorite band.

Also really enjoying the latest albums from The Avett Brothers and Aimee Mann. 2012 has been a great year for the music I love.
mik

Post by mik »

ratsoalbion wrote:the new one from David Byrne & St. Vincent is potential album of the year material.
DOUBLE YES! It's wonderful.
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

Over the last couple of days I've been listening to one of my favourite bands of the last five years, Menace Ruine. They're probably my favourite post-black metal outfit. Well, them and Sleeping Peonies.

PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

The Sonic Mole wrote:Over the last couple of days I've been listening to one of my favourite bands of the last five years, Menace Ruine. They're probably my favourite post-black metal outfit
Had a quick run through Cult of Ruins and The Die Is Cast just there (clearly not the ideal way to listen to them, I realise), plus some miscellaneous songs on youtube. Really lovely/nasty stuff, very much enjoyed. Big fan of those clean vocals.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

they arn't new releases but in the last few days i've discovered a couple of new bands i really like, pure reason revolution, slightly electronic prog and PG.Lost an excellent post-rock outfit, similar to jesu/isis.
TomFum

Post by TomFum »

Im proper loving this remix at the moment, the man Calibre cannot do wrong at the moment. The original version is quite nice as well but have a listen.

Toffer

Post by Toffer »

One of my top five bands, Billy Talent, recently released a new album. It's probably their best stuff.
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

I'm loving this at the moment, it does go a little Dubsteppy at times and I know that's not everyone's cuppa but it's worth checking it out for the video alone
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Awesome video! Love the idea of minced Subbuteo men ^^

I've had Devin Townsend on all day. Pretty sure "Numbered!" (0:22 - 5:16) is the perfect heavy metal pop song. It's exactly what I needed today :)

The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

One of my favourite sub-sub genres is True Sheffield Black Psychedelia. This Frequency Thirteen compilation is a great place to start. I've had it on in the car this morning.

http://frequencythirteen.bandcamp.com/t ... hered-hand
MarkyG

Post by MarkyG »

This sounds a lot like if The National were to change their name to NO but I like it anyway