Whatcha Been Listening To?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by Alex79 »

You're getting very busy with new podcasts lately! I must admit Cream are a bit of a black hole in my music knowledge. I know they're Clapton's old band, and of course I'm familiar with Sunshine Of Your Love, but other than I Feel Free, which we used to cover in my band and was a lot of fun to play, I couldn't name another song by them!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: June 5th, 2019, 7:46 am You're getting very busy with new podcasts lately! I must admit Cream are a bit of a black hole in my music knowledge. I know they're Clapton's old band, and of course I'm familiar with Sunshine Of Your Love, but other than I Feel Free, which we used to cover in my band and was a lot of fun to play, I couldn't name another song by them!
It was the same for me! I knew White Room, Tales of Brave Ulysses and Sunshine but, just like you, I always just called them Clapton's old band!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

They also had arguably one of the greatest ever drummers to be fair, in Ginger Baker.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 5th, 2019, 5:30 pm They also had arguably one of the greatest ever drummers to be fair, in Ginger Baker.
Yes, Baker is a great drummer. I didn't love his songs like Blue Condition or Pressed Rat, but Toad was almost a transformation when I listened to it. He's incredibly tight throughout all their songs.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Aw, Paddy’s still a genius. He just got old (and went nearly blind).
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Cane and Rinse old episodes are doing their magical disappearing act again on Apple podcasts. Similar on Spotify but other apps seem ok.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

That’s us, we’re having a few issues and have been trying some things out. Hopefully only temporary.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I like that. It reminds me of both early 90s Pavement, early 2000s Mercury Rev with a tiny tiny Britpop element to it (not a dirty word in my gaff). Nice one. Never heard of them.

I've been listening to Atlas Sound - Quick Canal:

https://youtu.be/C79Q7MV4Fgo

I thought saints were born saints
Then I looked in the dirt
And found wisdom is learned
Through a costly process of success and failure.

It's a colossal amalgam of motorik, shoegaze and heartfelt femme fatale from about ten years ago or so. I never get tired of it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

If you like that, you might like this. I love it.

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I remember getting well in to Joanna Newsom years back after one of her songs was on an advert or something. The Milk Eyed Mender (or something?) album was listened to muchly.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Since the final Splatfest for Splatoon 2 happened recently, I was reminded that the voice actress for Pearl is actually in a rock band, so I went to listen to their stuff again, and it's pretty good.

So that got me going down the Japanese rock rabbit hole again. I found out that Ling Tosite Sigure, who have done several pieces of music for the anime Psyho-Pass, have done yet another piece for it, but this time for a stage play based on the franchise.

Also one of the members of the band who for some reason still uses their name in their own solo project did the Japanese theme song for Into the Spider-Verse

And lastly I discovered that the drummer from this band, who is also a famous actor apparently, is signed on to do the music for No More Heroes 3.

Personally I'm not too keen on the vocals for that track, but I like the rest of it, and I can see how that general style would fit in well to a NMH game. Although I have read that a couple of the people from that band (not the drummer I think) have recently got in trouble with the law over drug offenses. So knowing how strict they are about that sort of thing over there, I wouldn't be surprised if that band isn't around much longer.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Mr Bungle were tremendous. Of all Patton's side bands that's the one I wish he'd resurrect more than anything. Having said that, happy with anything he puts out. Really one of my all time heroes.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I usually listen to instrumental stuff whilst reading, and more often than not it's Godspeed You Black Emperor. Recently I've been trying some other stuff in the 'Spotify thinks you'll also like this" list.

This is brilliant.

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Poor old Chuck :( he played a tiny gig in a pub down the road from me months before he died. Shame.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah the first two FNM records really are great, I've found myself going back to them a lot in recent years. Totally different band really, but you're right, his style was really unique and a good fit.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

clippa wrote: September 15th, 2019, 10:56 am Cardiacs - Dog Like Sparky

suck dribble in my dirty shoes
And crown me everything alive
That's a bizarre coincidence. I was just pulling on to the Morrisons carpark with Is This The Life by Cardiacs coming out my open windows, and I got out the car and a man said one word to me, he said "Cardiacs" and stuck his thumb up :lol: Then I read your post!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I do, but it's hard to listen to them these days what with their absolute refusal to get on any streaming service. Who uses CDs any more? Not me! I need to dig them out and rip them or obtain them from other various means. I usually resort to playing the YouTube audio through my car stereo, but it's not very good quality most of it.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I still buy cds. :oops:

My car doesn't have an aux port so my CD book has only gotten bigger over the past few years. It's becoming a problem...

Heck, I still make mix CDs, with about 17 Overclocked Remix ones, 8 classic rock ones, and a whole bunch more. :oops:
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I use Spotify because it's convenient but I buy lots of merch and shirts and shit from my favourite bands. I don't buy physical media anything because it's a complete waste of resources, to be honest. The only physical anything I've bought in ages is Darius Cozmic Collection because they said it would never come digitally. Liars. I'm going to flog my copy and buy the digi.