Whatcha Been Listening To?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Truk_Kurt

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I've recently been listening to a LOT more music and even though it has been reasonably varied, below are some of the bands I've been enjoying and was wondering if you could reccomend any other similar bands you think I might like along with any particular songs for me to try.

UK bands: Two Door Cinema Club, The Wombats, Coldplay, Glass Animals, Biffy Cyro, Bloc Party, Royal Blood

US Bands: Fallout Boy, Weezer, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Nirvana, Paramore

So for the most part it's kind of pop/rock type stuff
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

ThirdDrawing wrote: November 14th, 2021, 10:15 pm I would recommend both Entombed and Edge of Sanity.
Nice one. I’ve got an old Entombed album, Left Hand Path, but never listened to much else. Just found a cool Essentials playlist on Apple Music though, so I’ll check that out. Don’t know Edge of Sanity at all but like what I just found, so will have a dabble there too. Thanks a lot!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

stvnorman wrote: November 15th, 2021, 8:58 pm Nice one. I’ve got an old Entombed album, Left Hand Path, but never listened to much else. Just found a cool Essentials playlist on Apple Music though, so I’ll check that out. Don’t know Edge of Sanity at all but like what I just found, so will have a dabble there too. Thanks a lot!
Left Hand Path is good, I also recommend Clandestine.

As for Edge of Sanity, a good start is the Until Eternity Ends EP and Crimson.

You're welcome!
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

ThirdDrawing wrote: November 16th, 2021, 2:25 am
stvnorman wrote: November 15th, 2021, 8:58 pm Nice one. I’ve got an old Entombed album, Left Hand Path, but never listened to much else. Just found a cool Essentials playlist on Apple Music though, so I’ll check that out. Don’t know Edge of Sanity at all but like what I just found, so will have a dabble there too. Thanks a lot!

You're welcome!
Had a good old listen to both yesterday. Really enjoying them!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

stvnorman wrote: November 20th, 2021, 9:53 pm
ThirdDrawing wrote: November 16th, 2021, 2:25 am

You're welcome!
Had a good old listen to both yesterday. Really enjoying them!
Excellent, glad to hear it!
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Phantom Phreak wrote: November 28th, 2021, 9:11 am The music of Miles Davis. Never thought that jazz is so fascinating! His "Generique" is a true masterpiece, an ultimate must-listen.
The guy reinvented jazz three or four times. Possibly the most innovative 'popular' musician of the twentieth century.

If you like that very laid back Ascenseur vibe, I'd really recommend the track (and the album) In A Silent Way. It starts off as this proto-ambient new age kind of thing, jazz never sounded like this before, and then falls into an ambient 'funk' groove. Again, jazz never sounded like this before. Then it drops out once more to drifting ambience before the bass groove turns into fucking Balearic or something. Astonishing piece of music from a guy playing bebop only a few years earlier.

If you enjoy that, you can go in a couple of directions. If you want more of the guitars, then A Tribute To Jack Johnson is pretty much the first and only rock 'n' roll 'n' blues 'n' jazz record. If you want more funk, then check out On The Corner, his attempt at making a contemporary-sounding record that would appeal to the kids. He overshot by about two hundred years. There's still nothing that sounds quite like it, two drummers, squawking choppy guitars, Indian percussion and wild intertwining 'solos'. Here's Black Satin, which somehow made its way into Cyberpunk 2077, proving that the game has some value.

If you prefer the cooler modal jazz stuff, please try Somethin' Else by Cannonball Adderley, which feels like a Miles Davis record by any other name, almost a companion piece to A Kind Of Blue. Autumn Leaves is perhaps the highlight, with a very breezy but wistful solo from Miles to open things up before passing over to Cannonball for a swinging bluesy take which accelerates into an urgent Coltrane-style series of riffs. I love it.

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah nice, didn't know there were any jazz fans round here. Love Miles Davis, John Coltrane, all the classics, but there's a lot of good modern stuff too. Chris Potter is one of my favorites. I used to play a lot of John Coltrane stuff back when I was playing saxophone. I really like that New Orleans style jazz too, some of the old ragtime stuff etc. And especially that 1930s/40s smoky jazz noir, private detective soundtrack sort of thing, you know exactly what I mean. One of the best purveyors of that kind of sound in the modern era is Bohren & Der Club Of Gore.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Alex79 wrote: November 28th, 2021, 7:00 pmOne of the best purveyors of that kind of sound in the modern era is Bohren & Der Club Of Gore.
I love them, big fan. A very bleak and cold take on the smoky piano trio, but beautiful. Great recommendation.
hawnia

Post by hawnia »

A lot of movie and anime soundtracks.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Finding some new tracks which are really hitting me hard round the face. Loving new music this year. I've put the rest of the tracks in a spoiler section as it's loaded with tracks. Woops!

Pengshui - This is my youth

DOGZ OR GODZ - SCUM

Spoiler: show
The Hives - Bogus Operandi

Dioyy? - GUESS WHO JUST ROLLED BACK INTO TOWN

Kasabian X The Prodigy - Rocket Fuel

Caravan Palace - Lone Digger

MUSE - WE ARE FUCKING FUCKED

100 gecs - Billy knows jamie

Death Grips - Double Helix

BRONSON - 'HEART ATTACK (feat. lau.ra)

The Upbeats - One Sound

Chase & Status - Don't Be Scared ft. Takura

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Since I've been rewatching The Office (US) again I started listening to the Office Ladies podcast. It's Pam and Angela from the show going through the entire series, episode by episode. Difficult to recommend to everyone, but if you're a big fan of the show it's really a great listen. Loads of guests from the show and interesting bits of info and trivia etc.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hey everyone - I'm working with a lad at the moment, 14 years old, been involved with the police at lot, I was in court with him only yesterday, but he's been doing really well the last few months. Part of his program has been some time in a local music studio where he's been recording tracks every week. Honestly, some of his lyrics are amazing for a 14 year old. Anyway, it would be awesome if anyone could visit his YouTube page and drop a few likes or comments on some of the tunes. Thanks :)

https://youtube.com/@Shadows-0990?si=W1jlvKVT8S9QnJf8