Whatcha Been Listening To?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
kintaris

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by kintaris »

I adored the Furi soundtrack, even though I barely had an understanding of what synthwave was when I first listened to it :). Opened up that whole genre for me.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Anyone heard of Explosions In The Sky? I discovered them last night (at least, I think I have. I've got a niggling feeling I may have found them before and forgotten!)

They are superb. Think Godspeed You Black Emperor, 65daysofstatic, early Mogwai... Instrumental post-rock. Very atmospheric, dark to light moments of dread and pure euphoria. Give them a listen. I recommend starting with the album, 'All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone' but everything I've heard so far is great. They've done a few movie scores too. Top quality stuff. Check it out.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Nice, I'll check them out.

Talking about Explosions, I've been listening to the album To Infinity by Special Explosion a lot this last week.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I just bought my first Justice album. They've come up on my Pandora quite a bit so I decided to give them an official go. I grabbed Woman, which I was very surprised to discover came out in 2016! The album sounds as 90s as anything that came from that decade!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

duskvstweak wrote: May 6th, 2018, 6:50 pm I just bought my first Justice album. They've come up on my Pandora quite a bit so I decided to give them an official go. I grabbed Woman, which I was very surprised to discover came out in 2016! The album sounds as 90s as anything that came from that decade!
Their debut, Cross, is leagues ahead of what came after, I reckon. Their early remixes are also well worth checking out if you like that. I'd say that their erstwhile label mate SebastiAn is even better, kind of a harder, funkier glitchier version with lots of stuttering micro rhythms and mucking about with the tempo. His album Total was an early 2000s classic for me before he went off the rails and that whole Ed Banger French house/electro scene crashed and burned. He performed one of the most intense DJ sets I've ever heard, though. Like metal through an electro filter.

Check out Ross Ross Ross:

https://youtu.be/hpnT7TBZa5Q
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I'll have to dig into all of that! I think Cross is what appears on my Pandora the most, out of their stuff.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Not new, but I had Chumbawambu's Tubthumper in my car's cd player all last week. Loved the albums as a teen, always surprises me that I STILL like it as I've gotten older. Still love "The Big Issue" and "The Good Ship Lifestyle".
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

New Gorillaz album, The Now Now. Like most of the songs, but like The Fall, it's not as exciting as the previous album. The Now Now is breezy, and I'm always happy to get more music from them, but maybe they do need more than a year between albums...
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 1:56 pm Anyone heard of Explosions In The Sky? I discovered them last night (at least, I think I have. I've got a niggling feeling I may have found them before and forgotten!)

They are superb. Think Godspeed You Black Emperor, 65daysofstatic, early Mogwai... Instrumental post-rock. Very atmospheric, dark to light moments of dread and pure euphoria. Give them a listen. I recommend starting with the album, 'All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone' but everything I've heard so far is great. They've done a few movie scores too. Top quality stuff. Check it out.
They are great. I was lucky enough to see them live probably about ten years ago and they were fantastic.

My favourite song of theirs is: birth and death of the day. Also there’s a very mediocre Paul Rudd film called prince avalanche that is elevated well above its station by their soundtrack.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Been a mad Prodigy fan ever since I first heard Jilted Generation as a young teenager and honestly I've never found a sound to click with my soul as much as them.

Their new album is out soon and the run up of singles has been good to hear so far. Me and my brother have seen them approximately 30-35 times live and these new tracks are gonna do the business when they're played infront of people.

Cannot wait for No Tourists in November. It's moments like these (as well as games) which keep me giddy for life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAm48rkUBl4
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Trying to find a ska band I can really get into, so I gave Goldfinger a try with the Hang-Ups album (the one with Superman). Man, was I wrong. I hated it AND it's not really ska, is it?
Luckily, my wife likes the album so she benefits from my mistakes.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hmm, never been a huge Ska fan personally. I don't mind the odd tune when the likes of NOFX, Rancid or (early) Offspring did some, but never been able to get in to bands mainly doing Ska. I've tried a few, Goldfinger as you mention, Less Than Jake, Mighty Mighty Bosstones etc. But yeah, it's not real Ska I guess, more like American Skatepunk Ska. Have you looked further back to the old UK Ska scene? Bands like The Specials and stuff?
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: November 27th, 2018, 4:27 pm Hmm, never been a huge Ska fan personally. I don't mind the odd tune when the likes of NOFX, Rancid or (early) Offspring did some, but never been able to get in to bands mainly doing Ska. I've tried a few, Goldfinger as you mention, Less Than Jake, Mighty Mighty Bosstones etc. But yeah, it's not real Ska I guess, more like American Skatepunk Ska. Have you looked further back to the old UK Ska scene? Bands like The Specials and stuff?
Haven't done too much digging outside of Bosstones and Sublime. I've been listening to The Holophonics on Youtube. I want more like that! I'll check out the Specials for sure.
brutaldeluxe09

Post by brutaldeluxe09 »

Donuts by Mogwai

I've not seen the accompanying film as I read that it's maybe not as good as I wanted it to be but the soundtrack is great. Mogwai never dissapoint.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

So, I've been listening to Home by the John Butler Trio. I've never heard of them until Spotify played them on my random picks and I'm really digging it. I need to get the cd and make my wife listen to it, because I think she'll love it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

brutaldeluxe09 wrote: February 16th, 2019, 2:00 pm I've not seen the accompanying film as I read that it's maybe not as good as I wanted it to be but the soundtrack is great. Mogwai never dissapoint.
I saw Mogwai at Glastonbury 1999, with no prior knowledge of their existence, and whilst feeling particularly psychadelic.

They, as you can imagine, absolutely blew me away. Just this wall of sound, incredible live band.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Do you ever stumble across a musical artist and feel like you've discovered them? Years back I had this after hearing a tune from a young female vocalist called Indiana, and couldn't find anything about her online. She'd released a couple of singles, in particular Smoking Gun was brilliant. Quite minimal electronica, sounded a little Massive Attack, a little Tricky and maybe some Portishead. What drew me in though was the similarity with Trent Reznor's side project How To Destroy Angels.

Fast forward to now and she popped back in to my head so I looked her up and she's now released a couple of full length albums, and they're great. Very synthy, the same husky vocals and really pretty good songs.

Anyway, I thought there may be a few on here that would enjoy it too.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Alex79uk wrote: March 7th, 2019, 7:11 am Do you ever stumble across a musical artist and feel like you've discovered them? Years back I had this after hearing a tune from a young female vocalist called Indiana, and couldn't find anything about her online. She'd released a couple of singles, in particular Smoking Gun was brilliant. Quite minimal electronica, sounded a little Massive Attack, a little Tricky and maybe some Portishead. What drew me in though was the similarity with Trent Reznor's side project How To Destroy Angels.

Fast forward to now and she popped back in to my head so I looked her up and she's now released a couple of full length albums, and they're great. Very synthy, the same husky vocals and really pretty good songs.

Anyway, I thought there may be a few on here that would enjoy it too.
Just downloaded a couple of her Albums, top stuff.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Brilliant free CD with this months issue of Retro Gamer magazine - full of synth/retrowave type remixes of some old video game tunes. It's only on sale for another week or so before the next issue is out so grab it whilst you can!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

A friend and I have started a classic rock podcast and the first band we tackled was Cream, a group I have very little experience with. It was fun going through all their albums, but it didn't turn me into a Cream fan. I like Disraeli Gears a lot, but so much of their music feels like experiments and that the never found their true direction. It's weird how such an important and influential band never produced a truly perfect album.