Whatcha Been Listening To?

This is the place where you can confab about all the other stuff besides videogames.
AndyKurosaki

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by AndyKurosaki » December 24th, 2013, 6:42 pm

I was tempted to find the CD and snap the fucking thing in two. 10 years of the same god-damned songs have resulted in me utterly hating the fucking things. In the words of Frankie Boyle, "I'd happily punch every one of you in the face".
Pretty much sick of Xmas ad it is, but the fucking music makes it worse.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » January 13th, 2014, 9:31 pm

I have been listening to a fair bit of Radiohead lately after spending the last 20 years or so saying how much I hated them. Well, I was wrong.

RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y » January 14th, 2014, 9:36 am

AndyKurosaki wrote:Currently listening to the same Xmas CD at work, an hour long, 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. For nearly 3 weeks. Fuck Slade. Fuck Wizzard. Fuck motherfucking, repetiitive, braindead bastard Xmas songs.
Back at an old job where we were subject to a christmas CD, we kept popping out the Christmas CD and rubbing it across the floor, after at the end of the first week the entire CD skipped and became mysteriously unplayable...

Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 » January 14th, 2014, 11:14 am

I been playing LadyHawke's debut album a lot latey such an underrated album IMHO.

mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 » January 14th, 2014, 9:08 pm

Alex79uk wrote:I have been listening to a fair bit of Radiohead lately after spending the last 20 years or so saying how much I hated them. Well, I was wrong.
Had that same realisation a while back, not totally sure why I hated them in the first place but I'm glad the hate subsided.

I'm currently listening to Kavinsky - Outrun, pretty good and very reminiscent of Giorgio Moroder stuff so that's a thumbs up from me!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » January 27th, 2014, 9:22 pm

So I know I'm a little late to the party, but I've been listening to Tool lately after having people tell me I'd love them for about 10 years! Turns out, I do!

manofmanybadaliases

Post by manofmanybadaliases » August 2nd, 2014, 8:47 pm

been doing my annual 'listen to alot of Bay Area hip hop' summer listen,so i've been getting back into The Jacka check out his album 'Tear Gas' if you want a good place to start

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » October 12th, 2014, 10:38 am

The new Leonard Cohen album, Popular Problems, is brilliant if anyone is interested.

RobC

Post by RobC » August 3rd, 2016, 9:07 pm

https://youtu.be/CWyrlf5tCnM

My favourite marriage of sludgy hardcore & Silent Hill (on topic).

I'm sad but understanding that I've never seen these guys play this song live.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » August 27th, 2016, 11:14 pm

I've been listening to Ghost Box Records' 'Study Series'. The original 7" releases are changing hands for silly money but thankfully they're all available on Spotify. I've created a public playlist labelled 'Ghost Box Study Series' so by all means check it out. Ghost Box is a label based in a 'fictional universe' soundtracked by all manner of very odd British sounds. I suspect it would sound strange even on home soil but being an Irishman it's really captured my imagination. In Ireland we simply don't have a tradition of horror scores and early electronic music, etc. I'm intrigued by the concept of electronic, dare I say 'dance', music that's influenced by various British touchstones rather than the usual Detroit, Berlin, etc. I'm trying to think of what an Irish take on this music might sound like.

ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing » October 19th, 2016, 4:41 pm

The new Opeth. It's growing on me.

eastmcduck

Post by eastmcduck » October 26th, 2016, 6:08 pm

Recently discovered that I had been missing out on the various musical talents of Devin Townsend. Picked up the entire Strapping Young Lad discography and Ziltoid The Omniscient and have been listening to all of it pretty heavily. Also picked up the new Meshuggah album and it's nothing short of excellent. Besides that, I have my regular podcasts I listen to throughout the week, and have been listening to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy audiobook series here and there for the past month or so. Coming back to Ziltoid The Omniscient. If you're a fan of Strapping Young Lad, give Ziltoid a listen. It's a space opera and one of the strangest albums I've ever listened to. I love it.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » October 28th, 2016, 2:23 pm

The soundtrack to the docu-movie Before The Flood is out today, written mainly by Trent Reznor. I'm listening now. Given that Reznor could record himself vomiting in to a bucket and I'd give it 10 out of 10, my hopes are high, haha.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » October 28th, 2016, 2:27 pm

Alex79uk wrote:Reznor could record himself vomiting in to a bucket
I've got that EP.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » October 28th, 2016, 3:50 pm

It's one of his best, particularly the last but one track, "My Lunch, Your Face". It really builds upon the groundwork set in the "Chunder Blunder / Frown Face Round My Place" double A side, but doesn't yet show the signs of maturity displayed on his seminal "Kiss My Dung" triple album.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » December 17th, 2016, 9:12 am

Exciting news to wake up to - new Nine Inch Nails EP before Christmas! Wooooooohoo!!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... ep-w456483

nickturner13

Post by nickturner13 » December 19th, 2016, 12:14 am

Machinae Supremacy just released a new album in the past week or so.

If you've never heard of them, please do check them out... Basically a swedish metal band that uses a C64 SID chip as one of their instruments.

The SID chip has become less prominent in recent work I think, but with a 15 year back catalogue of at least 7 albums, they are well worth a listen.

Try a song like Force Feedback as an introduction to their stuff.... they're basically all I've listened to since 2007!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » December 19th, 2016, 8:04 am

I'm digging the music, but not overly keen on the vocals. Will definitely investigate them further though. To Spotify.......!

ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing » January 3rd, 2017, 3:13 pm

I've had this stuck in my head the last two days and I can't get it out. I love it.

https://sosomodern.bandcamp.com/track/miyagi

(Not my band, and the song isn't on youtube)

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » February 14th, 2017, 8:26 pm

I'm not the world's biggest Jamiroquai fan - I think some of the stuff is good- but this new tune is incredible.