Whatcha Been Listening To?

This is the place where you can confab about all the other stuff besides videogames.
User avatar
Alex79uk
Member
Posts: 4202
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 12:36 pm
Location: Redditch, UK.
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by Alex79uk » October 6th, 2017, 5:46 pm

Classic!

I've been listening to a lot of synthwave (I believe the cool kids are calling it) at work today. Started with the Furi soundtrack, which is exceptional - probably even better than the Hotline Miami soundtrack, but nobody seems to have mentioned it much whereas everyone was saying how good Hotline was. But then I started investigating some of the artists featured on it, and discovered Carpenter Brut, who is really good if you like that sort of thing. Check it out if you enjoyed the Hotline Miami tunes. He released a live album this year and tours with a live drummer and guitarist. Really top notch electro stuff. Very Perturbator.

User avatar
kintaris
Member
Posts: 410
Joined: May 7th, 2017, 11:44 pm
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by kintaris » October 7th, 2017, 11:52 pm

I adored the Furi soundtrack, even though I barely had an understanding of what synthwave was when I first listened to it :). Opened up that whole genre for me.

User avatar
Alex79uk
Member
Posts: 4202
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 12:36 pm
Location: Redditch, UK.
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by Alex79uk » January 23rd, 2018, 1:56 pm

Anyone heard of Explosions In The Sky? I discovered them last night (at least, I think I have. I've got a niggling feeling I may have found them before and forgotten!)

They are superb. Think Godspeed You Black Emperor, 65daysofstatic, early Mogwai... Instrumental post-rock. Very atmospheric, dark to light moments of dread and pure euphoria. Give them a listen. I recommend starting with the album, 'All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone' but everything I've heard so far is great. They've done a few movie scores too. Top quality stuff. Check it out.

User avatar
Beck
Member
Posts: 616
Joined: September 4th, 2012, 3:50 pm

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by Beck » January 24th, 2018, 3:36 pm

Nice, I'll check them out.

Talking about Explosions, I've been listening to the album To Infinity by Special Explosion a lot this last week.

User avatar
duskvstweak
Member
Posts: 255
Joined: August 23rd, 2017, 6:40 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by duskvstweak » May 6th, 2018, 6:50 pm

I just bought my first Justice album. They've come up on my Pandora quite a bit so I decided to give them an official go. I grabbed Woman, which I was very surprised to discover came out in 2016! The album sounds as 90s as anything that came from that decade!

User avatar
Stanshall
Member
Posts: 1134
Joined: January 31st, 2016, 6:45 am

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by Stanshall » May 7th, 2018, 9:05 am

duskvstweak wrote:
May 6th, 2018, 6:50 pm
I just bought my first Justice album. They've come up on my Pandora quite a bit so I decided to give them an official go. I grabbed Woman, which I was very surprised to discover came out in 2016! The album sounds as 90s as anything that came from that decade!
Their debut, Cross, is leagues ahead of what came after, I reckon. Their early remixes are also well worth checking out if you like that. I'd say that their erstwhile label mate SebastiAn is even better, kind of a harder, funkier glitchier version with lots of stuttering micro rhythms and mucking about with the tempo. His album Total was an early 2000s classic for me before he went off the rails and that whole Ed Banger French house/electro scene crashed and burned. He performed one of the most intense DJ sets I've ever heard, though. Like metal through an electro filter.

Check out Ross Ross Ross:

https://youtu.be/hpnT7TBZa5Q

User avatar
duskvstweak
Member
Posts: 255
Joined: August 23rd, 2017, 6:40 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by duskvstweak » May 7th, 2018, 4:40 pm

I'll have to dig into all of that! I think Cross is what appears on my Pandora the most, out of their stuff.

User avatar
duskvstweak
Member
Posts: 255
Joined: August 23rd, 2017, 6:40 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by duskvstweak » June 5th, 2018, 11:57 pm

Not new, but I had Chumbawambu's Tubthumper in my car's cd player all last week. Loved the albums as a teen, always surprises me that I STILL like it as I've gotten older. Still love "The Big Issue" and "The Good Ship Lifestyle".

User avatar
duskvstweak
Member
Posts: 255
Joined: August 23rd, 2017, 6:40 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by duskvstweak » July 13th, 2018, 3:03 pm

New Gorillaz album, The Now Now. Like most of the songs, but like The Fall, it's not as exciting as the previous album. The Now Now is breezy, and I'm always happy to get more music from them, but maybe they do need more than a year between albums...

User avatar
Simonsloth
Member
Posts: 549
Joined: November 22nd, 2017, 7:17 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by Simonsloth » July 14th, 2018, 11:05 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 1:56 pm
Anyone heard of Explosions In The Sky? I discovered them last night (at least, I think I have. I've got a niggling feeling I may have found them before and forgotten!)

They are superb. Think Godspeed You Black Emperor, 65daysofstatic, early Mogwai... Instrumental post-rock. Very atmospheric, dark to light moments of dread and pure euphoria. Give them a listen. I recommend starting with the album, 'All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone' but everything I've heard so far is great. They've done a few movie scores too. Top quality stuff. Check it out.
They are great. I was lucky enough to see them live probably about ten years ago and they were fantastic.

My favourite song of theirs is: birth and death of the day. Also there’s a very mediocre Paul Rudd film called prince avalanche that is elevated well above its station by their soundtrack.

User avatar
dezm0nd
Moderator
Posts: 3486
Joined: August 28th, 2012, 9:48 am
Location: Leighton Buzzard

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by dezm0nd » September 26th, 2018, 6:42 pm

Been a mad Prodigy fan ever since I first heard Jilted Generation as a young teenager and honestly I've never found a sound to click with my soul as much as them.

Their new album is out soon and the run up of singles has been good to hear so far. Me and my brother have seen them approximately 30-35 times live and these new tracks are gonna do the business when they're played infront of people.

Cannot wait for No Tourists in November. It's moments like these (as well as games) which keep me giddy for life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAm48rkUBl4

User avatar
duskvstweak
Member
Posts: 255
Joined: August 23rd, 2017, 6:40 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by duskvstweak » November 26th, 2018, 10:17 pm

Trying to find a ska band I can really get into, so I gave Goldfinger a try with the Hang-Ups album (the one with Superman). Man, was I wrong. I hated it AND it's not really ska, is it?
Luckily, my wife likes the album so she benefits from my mistakes.

User avatar
Alex79uk
Member
Posts: 4202
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 12:36 pm
Location: Redditch, UK.
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by Alex79uk » November 27th, 2018, 4:27 pm

Hmm, never been a huge Ska fan personally. I don't mind the odd tune when the likes of NOFX, Rancid or (early) Offspring did some, but never been able to get in to bands mainly doing Ska. I've tried a few, Goldfinger as you mention, Less Than Jake, Mighty Mighty Bosstones etc. But yeah, it's not real Ska I guess, more like American Skatepunk Ska. Have you looked further back to the old UK Ska scene? Bands like The Specials and stuff?

User avatar
duskvstweak
Member
Posts: 255
Joined: August 23rd, 2017, 6:40 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Listening To?

Post by duskvstweak » November 27th, 2018, 9:06 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 4:27 pm
Hmm, never been a huge Ska fan personally. I don't mind the odd tune when the likes of NOFX, Rancid or (early) Offspring did some, but never been able to get in to bands mainly doing Ska. I've tried a few, Goldfinger as you mention, Less Than Jake, Mighty Mighty Bosstones etc. But yeah, it's not real Ska I guess, more like American Skatepunk Ska. Have you looked further back to the old UK Ska scene? Bands like The Specials and stuff?
Haven't done too much digging outside of Bosstones and Sublime. I've been listening to The Holophonics on Youtube. I want more like that! I'll check out the Specials for sure.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest