Gaming headset for glasses wearer

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
ADumican83

Gaming headset for glasses wearer

Post by ADumican83 »

I need a new headset so wondering if anybody has any suggestions for a headset that is comfortable for someone that wears glasses? Looking at some Logitech G Pro X ones.
KSubzero1000

Re: Gaming headset for glasses wearer.

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Wired or wireless? How sensitive are you to feedback noise?

Do you plan on using the mic? Do you prefer to hear yourself talk if so?
Alex79

Re: Gaming headset for glasses wearer.

Post by Alex79 »

I use the Sony gold ones with glasses. To be honest, I've never found glasses to get in the way of headphones. I don't really see the glasses make any difference.
ADumican83

Re: Gaming headset for glasses wearer

Post by ADumican83 »

Wired or wireless. The Logitech ones are wired. I have the Gold ones for PS4 and they hurt after a while but I've had them for about 5 years now and the foam around the ears is quite worn so could be down to that.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Hi there, i play lots of competitive online shooters, have 3000hrs+ in to BF4 alone, these days its mainly PUBG. Ive had sessions that have lasted 6hrs+ & i am a glasses wearer. Can say in all honesty the best headphones ive got for a reasonable price is the HyperX Cloud II for about 60 quid. They are XB1 & PS4 compatible, just jack into the controller. But on PS4 they even give you 7.1 surround if you use the usb cable provided.
But if you are after a decent wireless pair then the Turtle Beach Stealth 700 series, work on both consoles, comfortable with glasses but are about £110, so depends on your budget. Check them out on Amazon to see if they might suit you buddy.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Deleted a couple posts. One was a bot and the other was highlighting the bot post.

Thanks!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Relevant topic to my recent thoughts so cheers to the bot for the bump.

What a faff it is getting headphones which work for every system. I've been looking to replace my Astro A50 because while the simulated surround and stuff is good, and they're very comfortable, the actual sound quality is pretty thin for the money and I don't actually play games which require 'gamer' type functions like a mic or spatial positioning for footsteps in FPS and stuff. I just want something where I can play games and enjoy excellent sound quality for the music and so on.

So I started looking and sure enough, it's a complete minefield. Many headphones only work with PC or one console, or maybe they work but with limited functionality on the Xbox and you need an analogue adaptor, or they're wireless but not on PS4 where you need to plug them into the Dualshock or whatever.

And so I've gone back to my Astros simply because I've figured out how to get them to work on all of the consoles I have set up with an optical splitter and HDMI splitter/audio extractor into optical splitter. It's total clown town. If you saw the amount of cables necessary to simply use one pair of headphones with more than one console, it's ludicrous, but it's still a better solution than buying wireless headphones and then having to plug and unplug them individually into the consoles or controllers with adaptors and have wires strewn about rather than tucked inside the telly stand.

First world problems and all, but my conclusion is that there's a massive open net there for some manufacturer to create a one-size-fits-all solution.

Anyone got any suggestions?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: March 6th, 2020, 8:50 am it's still a better solution than buying wireless headphones and then having to plug and unplug them individually into the consoles or controllers with adaptors and have wires strewn about rather than tucked inside the telly stand.

First world problems and all, but my conclusion is that there's a massive open net there for some manufacturer to create a one-size-fits-all solution.
Mate.

That topic somehow resurges every other month and my answer is always the same: Ignore all console-specific headphones that will only work on certain platforms. Simply plug your standard wireless headphones directly into your TV and you will never have to deal with any cables anymore, as it will automatically redirect the sound of anything being displayed on the TV into the headphones. Doesn't matter which console you use or if you're watching a movie or whatnot. It's literally a one-size-fits-all solution and it doesn't require any special adapter.

It's not a minefield, the answer is right there. It's only a minefield because every gaming manufacturer wants to sell its own special brand of headphones.

The only potential issue is if you want to use the mic, but since that's not the case there shouldn't be any issue, really.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Would that still carry the 5.1 (or whatever) signal though? I can plug my wireless surround sound headphones in to the TV via a cable, but they're then limited to only 2.0 stereo sound.

The Sony wireless ones I use can be plugged in to anything with a standard headphone jack, but only work surround on PS4. They can also connect to Switch wirelessly but reduced to stereo again. I don't know if it's the same for all headphones, but mine definitely limit to stereo when using a cable.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Headphones are never true surround, as far as I can tell. They use "Virtual Surround" aka trickery in order to make the sound appear fuller than it actually is. You're never going to get a true 7.1 from a mere two cans.

I have no idea about the different cable connections that could be used and what channels modern TVs might be supporting, all I know is that my wireless headphones have a virtual surround function as well and it works just fine as is. You can turn it on and off and notice a clear difference, even over the standard cable.

Besides, Stan said he wasn't really looking for any advanced surround function anyway.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I guess it's not true surround at all, mine are the same, there's a button for virtual surround - Sony give it a fancy name, I forget what. Its a shame mine don't work wireless on the TV as there's a USB port for the Bluetooth dongle, but I guess the TV would need the correct drivers.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 6th, 2020, 12:06 pm Mate.
Unfortunately, I'm an awkward so and so and I also want the best possible sound quality and that's not going to happen with BT. I've already got good enough so I'm looking to upgrade to great. Did Voltaire say 'the great is the enemy of the good' but in French? Probably a lesson there.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Well, then in that case I'm not sure what else to suggest. It's the only one-size-fits-all solution I can think of. :(

Hope you'll find another solution.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It's a good one man, and I appreciate the idea. I basically want the Astro wireless setup but with better SQ. I heard the Arctis Pro Wireless are basically that but mixed reports on whether they work with anything but PS4 and PC so not willing to gamble at that price. Hmm...As I say, first world probs.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Stanshall wrote: March 6th, 2020, 1:31 pm
KSubzero1000 wrote: March 6th, 2020, 12:06 pm Mate.
Unfortunately, I'm an awkward so and so and I also want the best possible sound quality and that's not going to happen with BT. I've already got good enough so I'm looking to upgrade to great. Did Voltaire say 'the great is the enemy of the good' but in French? Probably a lesson there.

Ah you should have said!

Allow me:

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I bet they're about 90% as good as what I've already got!
Suits

Post by Suits »

But that 10% sets apart the average, from the best 😎.

😄
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Yes, mate. We are cursed! :D
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 6th, 2020, 1:38 pm Well, then in that case I'm not sure what else to suggest. It's the only one-size-fits-all solution I can think of. :(

Hope you'll find another solution.
I had your words ringing in my ears and managed to find the actual one-size-fits-literally-everything solution I've been wanting for years. I got the Audeze Mobius.

They're planar magnetic, sound quality is superb and I can use them for everything. They've got a built-in DAC so can play hi-res Tidal files from my phone via LDAC Bluetooth or USB-C. They connect to the telly for hi-res via Bluetooth/AUX or consoles via USB. Yeah, there are more wires involved than the Astros but the SQ is so far ahead, it doesn't bother me at all. Every device, music, games, movies and they sound superb.

No need to ever buy more headphones.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

That looks nice!! But I thought Bluetooth over the telly was the deal-breaker? Is the sound quality okay after all?

Plus the loan shark won't be leaving the house to come after you these days, even if you skip a few months of mortgage payments. Smart move. :lol:

In a... slightly related but significantly less decadent fashion, I recently found out I could just plug my gaming Sennheiser into my old Nokia and *bam!* instant hands-free headset. No patch, no driver, no nothin'. It just works.