The News (formally the Covid thread)

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Let's have a thread about the virus, then. We might as well.

Post by ratsoalbion »

Good to hear positive news from Wuhan at this early stage.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Stanshall wrote: March 17th, 2020, 8:24 pm Thanks for the links, Leon. My mates in Wuhan have said that life is starting up again and things are gradually getting back to normal. They may need to tighten up again sporadically and that's the expectation, but good hygiene practices and sensible social distancing will delay that and the next spikes will be considerably smaller and more manageable.

That's also our government's plan if you read the Imperial College modelling data report in full. The phrase is 'adaptive suppression'.
Good to hear. How long were things out of action?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Well, it's been about nine weeks of official lockdown, I believe, but my mate was isolating a week before that. It's not going to fly by exactly but the stupid headlines about 18 months lockdown here are a deliberate misreading of the modelled projections, which suggest that we will open and close intermittently for eighteen months, if no treatment or vaccine arises.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

DomsBeard wrote: March 17th, 2020, 4:25 pm Cex have just bumped the PSVR price up £30, must be an increase in demand.

My wife has a member of staff pregnant and she has been told to avoid public contact at work. Not sure how that works in retail sales when 90% of the time you are in close proximity with the public.
Another staff member has just announced she is pregnant also meaning unless my wife and the other person in the business now work 100 hour weeks with no day off there isn't a sustainable business. Only way around it I can see is the Government forcing pregnant people to take SSP or pay their salaries in full by reducing the PAYE bills.

It's bridal retail so they've also had to deal with 20 cancelled weddings in the last 24 hours
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Man, that sounds rough. Sorry to hear that, DB. :(
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Dom that's awful news, little businesses like this are really suffering. Hoping it all ends okay for you guys.

Schools also closing Friday, and my work placement due to start in May has been 'postponed' until an indeterminate time.

:cry:

I know there are plenty round the world worse off, but I'm really disappointed about this. I don't know why they couldn't just wait and see how things developed instead of cancelling it two months in advance. It could also have repercussions on what happens with the course, potentially affecting graduation and bursary payments which we rely on completely.

This is a fucking mess.

:cry:
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Dom/Alex, I'm really sorry to hear that this whole thing is hitting you fellas in the pocket, as well, and I understand that it's not even as 'simple' as that. All the best and fingers crossed the govt come up with some robust measures to support people in similar circumstances. As shit as their comms have been, I do feel they've made some fairly nuanced and considerate decisions in several ways. I remain hopeful.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I couldn't find any article about this in english, but one interesting bit of trivia tangentially related to the corona crisis is that germans have apparently started mass buying gold bullion over the past week on top of hoarding toilet paper, hand sanitiser and canned foods. I had a look at the big online stores and the overwhelming majority of ingots and coins are currently sold out.

The fascinating thing is that this appears to be a predominantly german phenomenon without any noticeable equivalent in any other country as far as far as I can tell. They have a lot of faith in their government to handle this crisis properly and apparently very little in the (global) economy.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Went to 5 shops before finally getting some toilet roll for my 80 year old gran today. She was in good spirits as she has a "freezer full". She lives in a group of flats with similar aged ladies so she shouldn't be too isolated.

My 81 year old Grandad was also in good form, annoyingly his wife is carrying on with her work when she doesn't need to (she is late 60's) so I hope she doesn't bring it back with her. They don't get on really so I guess they are both trying to delay being locked up together. Concerned about him as he falls under the underlying health issues bracket.

My wifes family have sorted a rota for her grandparents. She is one of 4 so each night one will check in with them for a chat so with their own kids they'll be spoken to 6 days a week.

I'm predicting a two week lock down starting either Saturday or Monday. If anything it'll give the supermarkets time to restock the shelves.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

DomsBeard wrote: March 19th, 2020, 3:00 pm Went to 5 shops before finally getting some toilet roll for my 80 year old gran today. She was in good spirits as she has a "freezer full".
Why's your grandma hoarding toilet roll in the freezer?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Sainsburys Taste The Difference Jalfrezi.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

This week I started a 50/50 Home/Office Schedule although it's obvious that soon we will move into fully home working. I've streamed a shitload of games on Youtube tbh, it's not bad. As you might imagine the world of organized violence has stopped, and I've not got any more judging gigs in the forseeable future. Madness. I hope everyone is keeping safe.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I've been working from home also this week.

I'm not a fan.

In other COVID-19 related news, my father suffered a number of seizures on Wednesday evening and is currently in Neurocritical Care in Queen's Hospital Romford.

He bit his tongue and inspirated blood into his lungs, so he's being treated for pneumonia also.

The COVID-19 virus is now a significant risk to him so he is in total lockdown.

He's unconscious but we're not allowed anywhere near him, no-one is, which is for the best but very frustrating.

What a time to get a totally unprecedented condition out of the blue.

Nice one Dad :lol: .
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh mate, hope he's OK.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Same, all the best Mr Suits.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Very sorry to hear that mate. I'll be thinking of you and your old man! X
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ah, thanks for the kind words guys - I appreciate it.

Messed about with some hardware over the past few days to keep occupied and Animal Crossing has just landed which will offer some decent escape 😎.

What crazy times we’re all going through 🤪.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Terribly sorry to hear that, mate. All the best to you and your dad. :(
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 20th, 2020, 2:14 pm Terribly sorry to hear that, mate. All the best to you and your dad. :(
Cheers Bro ❤️.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Today in Idiocracy.