The News (formally the Covid thread)

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

Re: Let's have a thread about the virus, then. We might as well.

Post by Alex79 »

Oh god, that doesn't sound like the most fun way to spend an afternoon :lol:
francisbaud

Re: Let's have a thread about the virus, then. We might as well.

Post by francisbaud »

Caligulas Horse wrote: April 28th, 2020, 12:26 pm For anyone who has been struggling with it all, I would strongly recommend turning off news notifications on your phone, try to unplug from the wider world and tune back in every now and then when you're up for it. [...]
That's still a great advice imo. There's so much negativity and pollution in the medias (tv, internet...) that it can be a good idea to drop out for a while.
Alex79

Re: The News (formally the Covid thread)

Post by Alex79 »

Something Don posted on Twitter earlier made me realise that everyone is probably thinking about it, but nobody seems to be talking about it. Obviously the situation in Ukraine is desperately awful, and I can't be the only one genuinely anxious about the threat of nuclear war. Putin is deranged, and I don't know how easy it is for him to retaliate with extreme force if Britain or the US intervenes in the ongoing conflict. I've spent the last couple of weeks on and off randomly Googling terms such as "nuclear bomb radius", and "how long does it take a missile to travel from Russia to the UK". We seem to be the closest we've ever been, at least in our lifetime, to WW3, and it's genuinely scary. I just wanted to post because I feel like it must be on everyone's minds, but it's almost like people don't want to talk or think about it. Anyway, not good.
duskvstweak

Re: The News (formally the Covid thread)

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79 wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:46 am Something Don posted on Twitter earlier made me realise that everyone is probably thinking about it, but nobody seems to be talking about it. Obviously the situation in Ukraine is desperately awful, and I can't be the only one genuinely anxious about the threat of nuclear war. Putin is deranged, and I don't know how easy it is for him to retaliate with extreme force if Britain or the US intervenes in the ongoing conflict. I've spent the last couple of weeks on and off randomly Googling terms such as "nuclear bomb radius", and "how long does it take a missile to travel from Russia to the UK". We seem to be the closest we've ever been, at least in our lifetime, to WW3, and it's genuinely scary. I just wanted to post because I feel like it must be on everyone's minds, but it's almost like people don't want to talk or think about it. Anyway, not good.
I google Ukraine/Russia about once an hour every hour. I go from "should I join the military" to "i don't want to be drafted!" about twice a day.

It takes the full force of my being to remember that this is out of my hands and, like most everything, I can't control the situation, which is scary. But, there's also some sort of calm when I convince my brain of it, knowing that I can't control it so I just have to let it go. It's rare, and usually, I need to do something to take my mind off it. It's why I asked about comfort games back in the gaming hub. But, I'm over here in the States, so I think the level of fear for my own safety is much more theoretical than someone across the pond.

I've definitely been keeping all of the UK/European members of the forum in my thoughts.