The Toastie Chronicles

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
OneCreditBen

The Toastie Chronicles

Post by OneCreditBen »

This magnificent machine is the Salter EK2143 Deep Fill 3-in-1 Snack Maker with Waffle, Panini and Toasted Sandwich Plates.

Back when offices were a thing, the 4 people I work with would play The Amazon Game on the first Monday of every month. I'd list the items that had been sold on the One Credit Classics Amazon Affiliate Scheme, then pick one at random.

I'd tell them how much the item cost, and how much money I got from the sale. Then I'd pick them another item and they'd go higher or lower. It was basically The Price is Right but with more swearing.

Anyhow a while back, someone ordered a sandwich toaster and I was amazed at how cheap it was, and went and bought this hot snack grilling titan the same day.

These things always go a similar way, a few days of said food, before the best intentions are relegated to a drawer along with the new machine in question. However, lockdown started about a month after I got this piece of kit so as soon as my wife and I tired of what food we had in, it began. I fished the Salter out from it's space in the cupboard and starting making toasties.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EU_UN_JXQAE ... name=large

My early attempts were the stalwart toastie recipes that we've all had, known and loved. A meltable cheese mixed with some kind of alternative filling such as baked beans as pictured above, or spiced chicken.

Variations on these themes also seemed very popular, as a pedestrian sounding toastie could be made infinitely more interesting with some differing flavours.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EVE-f5CWsAA ... name=large

The highlight of these initial test pressings was this gem below.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EVp-PmdWAAM ... name=small

Tiger bread, Mexican Spiced Cheese and a Tin of Heinz Spaghetti and Sausages. It was incredible.

Then it changed, everything changed when I watched a Youtube video or 29 about toastie making and learned of many sweet recipes that people round the world had made.

I tried Nutella. It was incredible. Nutella and Banana was also fantastic but then my Jurassic Park moment. I managed to perfectly splice the DNA of Nutella, a chopped up Wispa Gold and Lotus Biscoff Spread. I didn't take any pictures of it, because I really didn't want anyone to see what I had become.

I knew I couldn't make another one that good, and convinced myself that I needed to put this behind me. I still think back to that glorious toastie, and just what I could have achieved if I'd carried on that path.

April ended with this audacious little number:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EW2iem6XkAI ... name=large

A Findus Crispy Pancake Toastie with Extra Cheese. It was phenomenal but there was a problem.

6 weeks of sweet and savory toasties, coupled with the fact I couldn't go to training, had taken their toll on me and I'd accidentally put on a bit of weight. I usually walk at around 13 stone 12ish - 88kg and I was nearly 93kg now! This was a problem.

In the month of May I massively cut my sugar, crisps and chocolate intake and started walking a lot. Trying to get 10,000 steps a day, riding an exercise bike in the front room, lifting weights and even walking down a canal whilst listening to Nomad by Alan Partridge on Audible. I've lost nearly a stone since the start of May and am determined to keep progressing.

I still have a toastie every couple of days, a few days ago I made a sausage and cheese creation that was fantastic, and even made a nice Fish Finger Panini as well. Balance is the key, also not grilling chocolate but that's obvious.

If you haven't invested in a sandwich toaster I'd recommend one, and if you've already got one then what are you waiting for? Get raiding your various breadbins, fridges and cupboards for some inspiration.

Glory/Insanity/Obesity awaits.
Delete as appropriate.
Alex79

Re: The Toastie Chronicles

Post by Alex79 »

Superb thread. I also bought a toastie machine a couple of weeks in to lockdown, having meant to replace my old broken one for years. I'm usually a quick and easy beans or hoops kind of guy, not been very experimental. I do make pizza toasties though. You can buy pizza topper next to the pasta sauce jars in supermarkets, so you spread that on the bread, put some grated mozerella in there and some chopped onion or whatever else you want. Pizza toastie! As a kid I absolutely loved peanut butter toasties, but I'll definitely look in to making some of these sweet ones now!
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Alex79uk wrote: June 6th, 2020, 8:19 am Superb thread. I also bought a toastie machine a couple of weeks in to lockdown, having meant to replace my old broken one for years. I'm usually a quick and easy beans or hoops kind of guy, not been very experimental. I do make pizza toasties though. You can buy pizza topper next to the pasta sauce jars in supermarkets, so you spread that on the bread, put some grated mozerella in there and some chopped onion or whatever else you want. Pizza toastie! As a kid I absolutely loved peanut butter toasties, but I'll definitely look in to making some of these sweet ones now!
So many new ideas. Pizza toasties sound amazing. I'll definately have to have a look at that!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Yeah, great call! We've got special pizza toastie toppings over here, too!
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Michiel K wrote: June 6th, 2020, 1:13 pm Yeah, great call! We've got special pizza toastie toppings over here, too!
Local Dutch Pizza Toastie Toppings
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I knew that was coming!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Not saying I need to do a big shop or anything but I'm currently devouring a Philadelphia and diced cocktail sausage toastie with ketchup and it is amazing.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

DomsBeard wrote: June 11th, 2020, 12:13 pmPhiladelphia and diced cocktail sausage toastie with ketchup
Banned.
Suits

Post by Suits »

That sounds hanging man.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Our industrial class toastie maker blew the breaker switch in our kitchen when Kayleigh plugged it in - so it' not been on since I picked up that Mexican chilli cheese, ham and smokehouse BBQ sauce.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Suits wrote: June 11th, 2020, 12:18 pm That sounds hanging man.
Unsure if that means good or bad.
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 11th, 2020, 12:30 pm
Hahaha, really ??

It means bad, it's something that was very common in South Wales in the 90's in a sort of - minging of way.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 11th, 2020, 12:30 pm
We use it to describe a horrific hangover up north :lol:
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Interesting. I don't really eat toasties but I've had a few basic ham and cheeses lately by using my Tefal Supergrill GC450B27 on lower heat.

Since I got it for Christmas I've also used it for pork chops, steaks and (opened out flat) for burgers. I'm trying to lose weight though so I'll avoid your toastie adventures Ben. :lol:
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

What’s on the menu, Dr Cartlidge?
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I have a pair of these bad boys for camping trips.

Loaf of mini white bread, jar of pizza sauce, bag of grated mozzarella and an assortment of other toppings (pepperoni, onion, tuna, olives, sweetcorn, mushrooms, even anchovies if you're feeling saucy). Spray with a bit of olive oil, then throw it in the campfire for a couple of minutes on each side and bob's your uncle!

Also makes awesome campfire french toast with beaten egg and some cinnamon sugar.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Ladies and Gentlemen.

The Pizza Waffle.

-Used Pizza Dough, flattened it out and cut them into two squares.
-Added Bolognaise Sauce, Mozarella, Chorizo, Pepperoni on one square.
-Place the other square on top and sealed the edges with a fork.
-Put it in the waffle maker for 4 minutes one side, and then spin it round so it browns evenly.
-Honestly. Amazing. Got a Tomato/Pepper stir in sauce heated up in the microwave as a dip.

Levels.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Excellent. Wonder how it would taste using sweet waffle mix, too?