Board/Card Games - The obligatory "analogue" gaming thread

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Flabyo

Re: Board/Card Games - The obligatory "analogue" gaming thread

Post by Flabyo »

There are some fantastic App versions of board games now.

A particular favourite is 'Lords of Waterdeep'. I love that board game, and the App version is pretty damned amazing.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Heard a lot of good things about that one - I should check it out.

In terms of apps, I mainly play Lost Cities and Carcassonne which are great, and I also cannot speak highly enough of Star Realms, both the card game and digital version. I never played Magic: The Gathering as a kid, but I gather that SR is a very boiled-down, portable and self-contained version of it. The basic digital version is free, with a modest fee ($5) unlocking online and campaign modes. The best thing is that once you have bought the digital version, it and all IAPs are available on every platform, Android, Mac, PC, Steam, iOS etc etc. The card game is also very cheap. I'm amazed at how much game they can pack into a simple deck of cards these days... Brilliantly designed and balanced game.

The Exploding Kittens app is also fantastic. It's a very light, casual game but the online pvp and audio/visual aspect is extraordinarily well done, and it works over bluetooth, meaning you can play a vs game anywhere.
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

You know how you often see pictures of people's video game collections in a wall of shelves? One of my friends has that of board games and we have a board games night every few weeks. We usually play whatever new ones he has picked up but there are a few staples we come back to. They are Settlers of Catan (we randomize all ports/tiles/numbers so things get crazy), Love Letter, and Mystery Express.

The last meetup we played Pandemic Legacy which puts a nice twist on the original. It was also a proud moment of all of us seeing our first turn 1 outbreak in Atlanta. Laughter and panic quickly followed. If you enjoy the original, this spices things up very quickly.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Just picked up the Dark Souls board game. The mintures look amazing , particularly the boss and mini boss ones .http://steamforged.com/dark-souls
brutaldeluxe09

Post by brutaldeluxe09 »

Bakers_12 wrote: September 1st, 2017, 9:47 am Just picked up the Dark Souls board game. The mintures look amazing , particularly the boss and mini boss ones .http://steamforged.com/dark-souls
You'll have to post a review for us once you've played.

The last board game I picked up was Tokaido, we really enjoyed it. would recommend.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

So, after a conversation with KSub, I realized it had been a long time since I looked up what was going on with the Legends of the Five Rings license, post-Fantasy Flight. I remember when they announced the purchase, I had been hopeful for a board game or something besides the standard card/RPG games. Well, it must have been longer than I thought since I check the status of it all (I need to get back into board gaming, in general) and I totally missed Battle for Rokugan!

Has anyone played this? It appears to be similar to the Game of Thrones board game, focusing on territory gain and fragile alliances, though it's shorter than that title. I'm definitely getting it soon, as my wife and I have recently made friends with another board game loving couple.

Also, I don't know how I missed this!

Four players are humans, trying to get off the island. The fifth player is the dinosaurs, stopping the humans. I'll be getting this game VERY soon.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Wow that Jurassic Park game sounds really good.

I haven’t posted in here before so I’ll chime in on my favourite games. Aside from the obvious Settlers of Catan and Ticket to ride which I’m sure most people have played I’ve been getting into escape room games recently.

Obviously not a patch on the real thing but cool nonetheless. I’ve tried 2 of the Exit branded games and now playing Unlock which has a companion app which makes everything a bit more fancy. I would heartily recommend them for anyone who is a fan of escape rooms or games.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Every time I see that Battle for Rokugan game in Orc’s Nest I almost buy it, then remember that none of my board gaming friends like complex strategy games so it’d probably never get played.

The card game relaunched with the fixed expansion design that Fantasy Flight prefer to random booster packs.

There’s also a fully fledged table top RPG as well now, tempted to grab the rulebook just to have a read, it’s a setting I’ve always enjoyed the nuances of.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Flabyo wrote: January 8th, 2019, 7:04 pm Every time I see that Battle for Rokugan game in Orc’s Nest I almost buy it, then remember that none of my board gaming friends like complex strategy games so it’d probably never get played.

The card game relaunched with the fixed expansion design that Fantasy Flight prefer to random booster packs.

There’s also a fully fledged table top RPG as well now, tempted to grab the rulebook just to have a read, it’s a setting I’ve always enjoyed the nuances of.
In regards to the board game, I've seen some reviews that say it's not as complex as the Game of Thrones box, but I'm sure your mileage may vary.

I saw the RPG book too! That's fairly recent but I got a copy for my uncle for Christmas, I'm probably going to get a copy myself. It did get me to take the 2nd edition rulebook I have off my shelf. I'd love to compare them.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Board games is something I'd like to get into more - both in terms of table top gaming and also TTRPG (blame Critical Role for this ...)
Of course real life gets in the way (too much working in the evening, long commute, two young daughters) and the last particularly means many of the games I'd like to try are still above their age range but I will mention Monopoly Gamer Edition. Junior Monopoly just doesn't work, and I'm not keen on the traditional version but the Gamer edition is essentially a coin grab with boss cards so there is a definite end point to aim for (not just make everyone else bankrupt).

There are two themed editions - both Mario flavoured - with one from the platformer side of things and one from the Kart racer side of things. I believe both play similarly and for both you can buy additional player pieces which give additional special rules.

It has nicely ruined the regular monopoly for me (for which I'm actually quite glad)
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Forgot about this topic.

First a Catan story. In our randomization setup, I decided to start off with one town with three forests next to it and putting my other on the wood port. It was an all-in strategy but two of the forests were good numbers and all three of us playing thought I was the likely winner. The only other forest was on a 9 and one of them had a town there. We had multiple full rounds of only rolling 9. I could have counted how much wood I got the entire game using only my hands. We were dumbfounded by how much of a blowout the game ended up being. He won when the next closest was only at 5 points and it wasn't even due to a last turn largest army/road steal. It was by far the most lopsided game of Catan we've ever had.

Second, we finished off Betrayal Legacy. If you like the base Betrayal, I'd recommend it. This makes for a good story, especially if you RP along with the scenario as they go along. It still has the same flaws as the original where the heroes or traitor could have no chance at all when the haunt starts. There was one game where I started the haunt with all four stats one hit from death, and another where it started with the heroes already two turns away from winning. That is just the RNG nature of the game sometimes. To go along with the RNG, in our 13 games, I was traitor only once.

Third, we played a cool detective game yesterday called Chronicles of Crime. It uses a phone app to play as well as the board. It is cooperative to solve the mystery so you go to locations, find clues, talk to people, and utilize your experts to get to the bottom of things. All the cards have a QR code and the scenario is set up by the app. You can't really replay a scenario since you'll already know the solution (which you can get wrong in the end), but as long as they release more scenarios there are a ton of possibilities here.
countstex

Post by countstex »

MajorGamer wrote: February 18th, 2019, 8:01 am Third, we played a cool detective game yesterday called Chronicles of Crime. It uses a phone app to play as well as the board. It is cooperative to solve the mystery so you go to locations, find clues, talk to people, and utilize your experts to get to the bottom of things. All the cards have a QR code and the scenario is set up by the app. You can't really replay a scenario since you'll already know the solution (which you can get wrong in the end), but as long as they release more scenarios there are a ton of possibilities here.
Chronicles of Crime is super cool. We've only done the first couple of London cases but it's so much fun. The VR searches add some tension with their time limits. Only thin we've round so far is we try to over solve the cases when we could hand them over to the chief much sooner.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

So, my friend got me this and I didn't even know it existed. Any board game historians have any insights about the Starship Troopers tabletop game? It looks complex!

countstex

Post by countstex »

A 1976 game from the details on BoardGameGeek! That's only just younger than D&D.. Nice find!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Might be fun to ask the guys at Tabletop Gaming magazine about it (@TabletopMag on Twitter).

They recently had a long article about the Dune strategy game (though mainly cause it’s finally being reissued after decades in legal limbo), and they have regular columns on old board games that time forgot.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Flabyo wrote: November 4th, 2019, 4:22 pm Might be fun to ask the guys at Tabletop Gaming magazine about it (@TabletopMag on Twitter).

They recently had a long article about the Dune strategy game (though mainly cause it’s finally being reissued after decades in legal limbo), and they have regular columns on old board games that time forgot.
I've never played the Dune game but I own Rex, which is supposed to be a Twilight Imperium re-skin of the game. Still haven't played it! My wife and I need to move and find people who want to get into these complex games!
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

That Jurassic Park game looks amazing!

I've never really been into board games but absolutely love Zombies!!!

It's kind of a lot to explain the game in full but you have map tiles rather than a board and build the game area (the base game is a town but there are a lot of add ons) so it is different every time. Every time you take a turn you put down a new map tile. Shuffled into the bottom half of the deck is a helicopter pad tile and when that comes out the first to get there wins. There is no combat between players but there is against zombies however you do have cards that you can use against other players to weaken them or make them do certain things.

I would definitely recommend it but wouldn't play with less than 3 people.
Suits

Post by Suits »

duskvstweak wrote: January 8th, 2019, 4:33 pm Also, I don't know how I missed this!

Four players are humans, trying to get off the island. The fifth player is the dinosaurs, stopping the humans. I'll be getting this game VERY soon.
Did you ever pick this up dude ??

It looks rad.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Suits wrote: November 6th, 2019, 8:32 pm
duskvstweak wrote: January 8th, 2019, 4:33 pm Also, I don't know how I missed this!

Did you ever pick this up dude ??

It looks rad.
I did, but we haven't played it yet. Its pretty cheap and I got my copy from Target, so it shouldn't be hard to find. The wife and I always lamenting living in this rural area because we can't find enough people who want to play a board game not called Monopoly.
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

duskvstweak wrote: November 7th, 2019, 3:28 pm The wife and I always lamenting living in this rural area because we can't find enough people who want to play a board game not called Monopoly.
Move to South Oxfordshire and I'll play.