Board/Card Games - The obligatory "analogue" gaming thread

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
duskvstweak

Re: Board/Card Games - The obligatory "analogue" gaming thread

Post by duskvstweak »

I don't know if anyone is running D&D/tabletop games via Roll20 or other methods, but for all the DMs out there, Humble is having a huge maps sale via Profantasy.

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/m ... warebundle

countstex

Post by countstex »

Finally received my copy of The Refuge: Terror from the Deep. Super simple to play, but damn it's kicking our arses each time! Even on the easiest missions and options. But that's a good co-op for you ;)
francisbaud

Post by francisbaud »

Risk may be my favorite board game so far but I haven't played in a loonnngg time.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

francisbaud wrote: October 30th, 2020, 1:10 pm Risk may be my favorite board game so far but I haven't played in a loonnngg time.
One of my all time favorites, even though the genre has moved on from it, or improved on it. I mean, you always need the right group for it, but it's still a bunch of fun when it works. It reminds me of the Civ games, how the star is the strongest as you're full of so much energy looking at the all the potential before you.

I found a second copy of the version I own at a thrift store and bought it so I would finally have enough troops, since we're always running low late game. As for the second board, well, that's just good décor.

francisbaud

Post by francisbaud »

Never played Civ games, but it's the kind of game I'd probably like.

Great that you have found a second board with the reinforcement!
RinseWashRepeat

Post by RinseWashRepeat »

I'm not too sure if Codenames has appeared in this thread yet.

Been playing it with the girlfriend and can't wait to try it out on the rest of the family when Christmas is allowed. Sometime in late August? Who knows...

Anyway - Codenames is great. Dead simple to explain the rules, quick rounds and can keep everyone engaged. Highly recommend.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

RinseWashRepeat wrote: January 16th, 2021, 10:53 am I'm not too sure if Codenames has appeared in this thread yet.

Been playing it with the girlfriend and can't wait to try it out on the rest of the family when Christmas is allowed. Sometime in late August? Who knows...

Anyway - Codenames is great. Dead simple to explain the rules, quick rounds and can keep everyone engaged. Highly recommend.
Yep, Codenames is always a winner at any table I've brought it to. It's amazing to see which people can get on the same wave length over the silliest thing. They've licensed the heck out of it, but I find the base game to be the best. The more vague the words, the better!
paulag

Post by paulag »

I’m currently very enamored of Chaos in the Old World and Power Grid my favorite 2 Player is Lost Cities. for co-ops im digging The Grizzled and for lighter fare, Samurai and 7 Wonders.

My first hobby game was Carcassonne which I still play, and my first game with my group was Puerto Rico which also still gets played.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Codenames can be great, but it really depends on the group you're playing with. If you have a couple of people who aren't great with words or synonyms it can get quite awkward with people struggling to come up with clues.

The game we tend to play the most* is Skull aka Skulls and Roses. Incredibly simple to learn and play (and can be played with a few beermats and a biro in a pinch), and gets more fun the more drunk everyone gets.

*pre Covid
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

paulag wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 8:51 pm I’m currently very enamored of Chaos in the Old World and Power Grid my favorite 2 Player is Lost Cities. for co-ops im digging The Grizzled and for lighter fare, Samurai and 7 Wonders.

My first hobby game was Carcassonne which I still play, and my first game with my group was Puerto Rico which also still gets played.
Carcassonne and 7 Wonders are some of my favorites!
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

duskvstweak wrote: February 4th, 2021, 8:24 pm
paulag wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 8:51 pm I’m currently very enamored of Chaos in the Old World and Power Grid my favorite 2 Player is Lost Cities. for co-ops im digging The Grizzled and for lighter fare, Samurai and 7 Wonders.

If you like those I highly recommend Azul and Splendor
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

KissMammal wrote: February 4th, 2021, 8:42 pm
duskvstweak wrote: February 4th, 2021, 8:24 pm

If you like those I highly recommend Azul and Splendor
My wife and I played Splendor once, she really liked it! Never played Azul!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Wasn't aware this existed! Probably not on my to-get list and the review for it isn't stellar...

Though, my interest is piqued for Street Masters...
Seph

Post by Seph »

I played Nemesis for the first time at the weekend. It's basically Aliens in game form, but as well as making sure you survive being killed to bits by definitely-not-Xenomorphs, you also have a secret mission of your own to complete that could dick over everyone else.

Took a while though. Four hours in and we were only about half way...It's really fun, if a little needlessly complex at times.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Having not collected anything Warhammer-related since my teens back in the mid 90s, I've got to say I'm genuinely tempted to pick up the new edition of Kill Team - think a tabletop version of X-Com, kind of a halfway house between full-fat 40k and a regular board game.

Seems like a good way to casually dip my toe into the hobby again without getting too invested. Painting up a little ten man squad of toy soldiers seems like it might be quite relaxing in these stressful times.

https://www.wargamer.com/warhammer-40k/ ... nd-edition
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

wow - that seems a much different system to what I'd consider to be the core Warhammer gaming system (though it's been a couple of decades since I last played ...
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

As I understand it, the original Kill Team was a scaled-down version of 40k, but this new edition (while sharing a few core mechanics will 40k) has been built from the ground up to be its own game.

You can play 'casual' one-off games but also play as part of a longer campaign where each model gains experience and skills the more you play with them. So kinda similar to Necromunda, if you're familiar with that?

The quality of the models is in a totally different league to when I used to play (when they were made of a metal alloy that had lead in it!).
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

I've been getting sucked into an RPG called Dungeon Crawl Classics lately, reading all their material is so fun, it's all very evocative and inspiring, all based on old-school fantasy fiction, "pre-genre" fantasy is what they describe it as, as it's all stuff that was written before all the well-worn tropes about elves in forests, dwarves in caves hoarding gold, etc were all established.

The artwork alone is spectacular, it has such a distinctive vibe and flavour, it doesn't take itself too seriously and embraces the wacky side of fantasy role-playing. This is really clear when you read into the magic system, which takes up about half the rulebook alone, not because you have to memorise loads of complex rules, but because each time a wizard casts a spell, it has a sliding scale of effectiveness, where the lowest level of e.g. flaming hands will simply puff out a small plume of flame in a certain direction, all the way up to the highest possible roll delivering a full-on volcanic sized eruption centring around the wizard character, quite possibly murdering or severely injuring any allies that get too close, and probably irreversibly altering the dungeon or landscape around them, too.

There's so much of this wacky, unpredictable stuff in the game and that's what makes me excited to play it more. I've only judged one game of it so far, and have just started playing through a solo module I found online for myself, but I'm hoping to play more games of it in the coming months and really get a good run through the system, to see how it holds up in pplay. Though for the artwork and adventure descriptions alone, I already love it.
Cornelius_Smiff

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

My cat decided to get me this as a Christmas present (she is so thoughtful). I had this as a kid and stupidly got rid. When they announced the remake, I knew I had to have it.

Arriving next week.... I cannot wait!
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

Cornelius_Smiff wrote: January 9th, 2022, 12:04 am My cat decided to get me this as a Christmas present (she is so thoughtful).
That looks amazing, by the way. Have you had a chance to play it yet?

On a similar note of excellent packages of physical games, the second edition of The One Ring Middle Earth Roleplaying Game came out not too long ago, and it looks spectacular. The full size cloth map is gorgeous. (seems the video below doesn't show a cloth map, but I'm sure I saw one somewhere)

Still waiting to hear how it plays, though I have heard that the first edition is one of the better LotR RPG games out there, so hopefully this one will also be good.