Help me make an all time greatest comedy film list!

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Rhaegyr

Re: Help me make an all time greatest comedy film list!

Post by Rhaegyr »

A few that haven't been mentioned: City Lights (1931), Clue (1985), Dr Strangelove (1963) and Death of Stalin (2018).

I also really liked Shane Black's The Nice Guys (2016) when I watched it recently.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Dr. Strangelove, brilliant film.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Austin Powers gets a bad rap due to being totally overexposed and quoted to hell and back (and the sequels are 'patchy' to put it charitably), but I still maintain the original Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery is a genuinely great spy movie sendup that still holds up really well.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks all - loads of good recommendations here. Some I've seen (South Park for instance, the only film ever to make me literally cry with laughter in the cinema, aged about 20), but loads I've not. Thanks!
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Taking the mention of Charlie Chaplin, I'm also going to add Buster Keaton to the list, particularly the earlier silent movie stuff
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Speaking of Bill Murray (and perfect movies), how could I forget Groundhog Day?

There seems to be a real trend right now for movies and TV shows using a similar 'time loop' premise, but in all honesty I don't know why you'd bother when the original nailed the concept so perfectly.

I also recently watched the 1991 Andie McDowell film Green Card for the first time. It's probably a stretch to call it a comedy, it's more of a light romantic comedy drama, but it's a really lovely, understated little film. It's sad how Hollywood seems incapable of making rom coms that aren't obnoxious, formulaic pap any more.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Spinal Tap.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Ooh, good shout.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

In the vein of Spinal Tap, I would also suggest Best in Show and A Mighty Wind which are directed by Christopher Guest. Really funny mockumentaries looking at dog competitions and folk music.

As for funny Coen Brothers stuff, the one i always recommend is O Brother where art Thou? Just a fun little romp with great characters and dialogue. Another one of theirs I remember liking which is much earlier is Raising Arizona. The Coen Brothers have done a fair bit of comedy during their career, usually of the darker variety but it still gets a laugh out of me.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Jobobonobo wrote: April 15th, 2021, 9:40 pm In the vein of Spinal Tap, I would also suggest Best in Show and A Mighty Wind which are directed by Christopher Guest. Really funny mockumentaries looking at dog competitions and folk music.

As for funny Coen Brothers stuff, the one i always recommend is O Brother where art Thou? Just a fun little romp with great characters and dialogue. Another one of theirs I remember liking which is much earlier is Raising Arizona. The Coen Brothers have done a fair bit of comedy during their career, usually of the darker variety but it still gets a laugh out of me.

There's a short scene towards the end of Fargo that is just a cop responding to a tip off from an old bloke shovelling snow off his driveway. It's hard to say what it is specifically about the scene, but it absolutely cracks me up every single time.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Been a while since I seen Fargo, but a lot of the small talk from the locals really drove a lot of the humour in that film. Steve Buscemi's character constantly being referred to as that "funny looking fella" was always a running gag I liked.
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

KissMammal wrote: April 4th, 2021, 11:53 pm

Humour is very subjective - I've met people who take The Sopranos or Breaking Bad completely on face value and don't see the humour layered into them, which always surprises me as I think they are both frequently laugh out loud funny.
"He killed 16 Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator!"

"Really? His house looked like shit"
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Currently re-watching The Sopranos with the other half and we have the odd laugh practically every episode, usually because of Paulie.

Pine Barrens is a masterclass in dark comedy.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Speaking of Steve Buscemi, he directed the Pine Barrens episode!
Seph

Post by Seph »

Maybe I can't see it, but nobody has mentioned Life of Brian. It's the best thing the Monty Python team ever did and everytime I revisit it, it never fails to make me laugh.

In the Loop is also very good as a film version of the excellent Thick of It. In a fair world Peter Capaldi would have won all the awards for his stint as Malcolm Tucker.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Just to add my two cents

I second Top Secret (it's my favourite Zuckers film) and agree with Leon about Ghostbusters.

As for films not mentioned yet:

Pink Panther & A Shot in the Dark. Love them both, not as big on the 70s PP films.

Any Monty Python film, as well as A Fish Called Wanda and Yellowbeard (which is just okay, but fun).

A lot of good Bill Murray films - Caddyshack, Stripes, Scrooged, Kingpin

Alternatively, Blues Brothers, Dragnet and Trading Places are good Dan Akroyd films.

Maverick - I know some people may have issue with Mel Gibson, but it's a genuinely fun film.

Strange Brew (starring the McKenzie Brothers) is a Canadian classic, as is The Kids in the Hall's Brain Candy.

I like Elf but also like Anchorman, which is another good Will Ferrell movie, because it's so ridiculous.

Also ridiculous - Zoolander and Dodgeball.

Might as well throw in the Zucker Bro's Naked Gun films with Top Secret and Airplane.
And if you like the Zucker Bros. films, then the Hot Shots films are worth watching.

Both Addams Family movies from the 90s are worth watching.

Mel Brooks - I can't believe no one has mentioned him yet. Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, The Producers, Spaceballs..... There's lots of choices.

Clue is really fun, even if you know the ending(s).

I might get flack for this but....Cabin Boy. I grew up watching Chris Elliot on David Letterman so I feel like I "get" his style of humour. I don't know if it will fly with UK viewers. Same with UHF starring Weird Al.

Lastly, most people don't think of it as a comedy but....Beetlejuice.. Same with Mystery Men.

The classic teamup of Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder made some good movies like Silver Streak and Stir Crazy.

I hope that list is helpful!