Microsoft account hassles (Xbox etc)

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

Microsoft account hassles (Xbox etc)

Post by Alex79 »

Hey, so I've got about 4 Microsoft accounts. I've got the first one I ever set up about 15 years ago when I got my 360 for Xbox Live, two through work and one through uni.

I've just had a right game this morning trying to log in to my Microsoft account in Minecraft on the Switch, it was coming up with some random username I never chose, until I realised I'd signed in with an account that wasn't my Xbox Live one. So then I signed in with my Xbox Live account, and that was fine - Alex79uk.

But, my Xbox Live account still logs in with an old Blue Yonder email address I've not used or had access to in well over a decade. So if there's any issues or anything like that with it, I'm not sure how I'll be informed. Or if I need to reset my password etc.

Does anyone know if there's a way to delete MS accounts, and then also change my log in email address on my Xbox Live account? I'm going to be getting an Xbox later this year, and would prefer everything on one account. I could just set up (another) new account but then I'd lose all my past purchases on Xbox etc.

This whole thing is a big pain in the ass, and I'm not sure how or if I can resolve it. Any ideas?

(In case you lost the questions in that ramble, can you change your log in email address on Xbox Live, and also can you delete MS accounts you no longer need, does anyone know?)

Ta!
Eterno

Re: Microsoft account hassles (Xbox etc)

Post by Eterno »

I think the issue might be that you think of it as an Xbox Live account, when it's really just a Microsoft account.

Everything you are trying to do can be done simply by logging in to the account Manager on the Microsoft website.
Add an email address to the account and then you will be able to make it your login one in options.
Deleting an account is titled as Close the account.

Links for tutorials
Closing account: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/acc ... d668849979
Changing login: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/acc ... ba8ba0e00b
Alex79

Re: Microsoft account hassles (Xbox etc)

Post by Alex79 »

Ah - thanks, I'll give it a go!