The Euro 2020 Thread

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: The Euro 2020 Thread

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes, three Serie A medals and two European Cups: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberico_Evani
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Truk_Kurt wrote: July 7th, 2021, 9:28 am Apparently that guy played for Italy years ago and made 14 caps for them. He played in the Ireland v Italy game of USA 94.

I do feel sorry for Morata, he got an important goal in the last game and then got Spain back in the game last night, which was great after the criticism and abuse his family got on social media after the first couple of games. But then he went and missed his penalty, I really thought he was going to miss from his body language.
It’s really interesting to watch people’s body language before a penalty. I played a game with my wife who has little interest in football called goal or miss. Purely on the basis of the body language bar one of the Italian penalties she predicted the correct outcome every time!

That’s why I get nervous when I watch England take penalties as historically it’s head down nervousness on the way to the spot. Although I feel with this current team their heads will be up as the confidence levels are much higher.
Seph

Post by Seph »

Cheers for that info guys! I was close to just searching for "Ron Mael Italy football" and seeing what came up.

Yeah, I agree about Morata, as soon as he stepped up I knew he was going to miss. Poor guy, I hope he's not getting too much shit. Social media is a disease, and isn't helped by the fact the people who run it are genuine sociopaths.

While I'm looking forward to the game tonight, I was annoyed by the BBC panel talking like England are already through and could beat anyone. It's this arrogance that causes the downfalls and it's pretty disrespectful to a Danish team that was worked hard and overcome a lot in this tournament. I'd say it's typical British media of bigging them up to knock them down, but this was from former players who should know better. This is why having at least one proper broadcaster in the room helps.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

Very nervous about tonight's match as it feels like such a banana skin game in terms of 'narrative' for England. Haven't seen much of Denmark play, but presumably they've earned their place and could easily score a couple, or get one, park the bus and frustrate us.

I'm used to the swings between overconfidence and fatalism from the press, so I tune it out at this point, but thankfully it seems like the team and management are more levelheaded mentally than they used to be. Hoping we show the attacking ambition and get on the front foot as we did against Ukraine, and crossing all my fingers.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’m hoping the team are ignoring the press, public and over confidence of Rio Ferdinand. My impression so far is that Southgate is cautious and pragmatic which doesn’t usually result in too much excitement on the pitch but two major tournaments and a nations league have yielded success compared to the past. You only have to look at our narrow group stage victories which seem a distant memory but were essentially rather conservative energy saving approaches doing just enough to get a result.

We have a good team and have made it to 2 consecutive semi finals which on its own is an achievement. On paper we should beat Denmark but you just have to look at the premier league or FA cup to see on a given day anyone can beat anyone. Although I expect Southgate to lead by example and treat the game with the utmost respect and avoid the banana skin. The previous game turned on its head with a red card so barring a disaster a cautious approach should result in success.

Italy on the other hand have so much talent, cohesion and intelligence that if England were to progress the final will be a chess match.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I hope we win. I predict a very cautious game, possibly a 1-0 win, but could go either way.
Seph

Post by Seph »

I agree Simonsloth, win or lose this game what they've achieved in back-to-back tournaments has been excellent. I imagine these lads won't be going out tonight expecting an easy win and while I think they will get through, I expect Denmark to bring out the best of this England team.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Never in doubt (apart from the time after they scored until we scored). Absolutely bossed them, though.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I think the first half was shaky, but the way we passed the ball around and controlled the game in the last ten minutes was brilliant. Oddly, I feel much more relaxed about the final than I did for last night. I think it's just a feeling of we've done it, we've got to the final and nobody ever thought they'd see that again, after 20 odd years of a mediocre national team. Getting to the final has been so great, that if we win its just a bonus at this point. And the World Cup is only next year!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Agree with you Alex. I just hope if we lose it isn’t because of a dodgy refereeing decision or gamesmanship/deception but because of a wonder goal or being outplayed. We cling to things like what if Gazza wore size 11 shoes and scored against Germany or what if the numerous disallowed goals were given. Nice to just to lose without having that “what if” feeling.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

Also agree with you 100% Alex. With England it's often not the result but the manner of it that makes watching them depressing. It's nice to see the team play with real character and not just squeak by and moan about bad luck. Last night's match took a few years off me, but very impressed we got through it and actually can't wait for the final now!
Quiet Paul

Post by Quiet Paul »

Sorry, been a bit irregular on here, dodgy tummy.

Nice to see the English team do so well, dominated the game against Denmark! Obviously Denmark were good in spells and scored but I thought the game at least finished with England looking very comfortable.

Best of luck tonight! Need to be careful in and around that box, they know any slight touch and these guys will stop, drop and roll around like they’re trying to achieve their HND in fire safety.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Gutted we couldn't get it over the line last night, but then I remember how far we've come since losing to Iceland and realise what a great job Southgate has done and most of the squad are so young they can only get better.

My only criticism was that I don't get why teams (England in this case) make subs specifically for pens, as we did when Sancho and Rashford with just one minute of the game left. Sure they may be the best pen takers in the squad in practice but penalties are such a lottery that I would rather subs be made earlier in the game to try and win it in the 90 minutes and/or extra time by injecting more energy into the team.
Seph

Post by Seph »

Losing to the best team of the tournament in the final isn't a bad result, especially with it going right down to the final penalty.

England were excellent in the first half, Italy were awful; but they seem to have swapped shirts for the second half. I believe if Chiesa didn't go off injured it wouldn't have gone to penalties, as he was making some incredible attacks towards the end.

And yeah, I don't understand putting those young lads on for penalties, espcially against a powerhouse like Donnarumma. If you figured it was going the distance, give them a bit more time to run their nerves off. I was dreading the response from the more loudmouth, Brexity, racist, twatty part of the "fanbase" and media, but thankfully outside of a few nobheads they have mostly been getting support. But as with the dickheads who rushed the stadium, the minority have to ruin everything for all of us.

To end on a positive: The transformation of this team compared to the one that stumbled against Iceland has been incredible. I'm looking forward to the world cup run, I think there's still great things to come from this team.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Very well said.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hugely disappointed we didn't take the trophy home, obviously, but have nothing but good words to say about Southgate and the team. They did us so proud, and I can't wait for the world cup.

Anyone got thoughts for their own player of the tournament? I think Pickford is up there for me. England's defence was solid, but he conceded just one goal in open play in the entire tournament, saved two crucial penalties, I think he was brilliant throughout.

I know I've literally just said it, but I really can't wait for the World Cup. This team will only get better over the next 4-5 years.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Not that I disagree but teams getting better over time will also happen for the other teams with talented young players, but we do have more young players than others.

And Alex, the next World Cup in next year, not in 4-5 years :P

My player of the tournament would be Bonucci or Chilleni. They were absolutely amazing at the back for Italy and I loved it when they would celebrate making blocks and tackles. I would probably go for Bonucci purely because he dispatched both his pens in the semi final and final.

For England I would say Shaw was our best player, he was immense the whole tournament but Pickford would be a close second.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I saw that Donaruma won the player of the tournament which I think is fair enough too.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Truk_Kurt wrote: July 13th, 2021, 9:37 am And Alex, the next World Cup in next year, not in 4-5 years :P
I know! But we'll keep improving after that too!

I looked up the stats and we had the second youngest average age of the entire tournament. Only Turkey were younger than us. By comparison, the Italian team was, if I remember right, the second oldest.

EDIT: OK not quite, but here's the table if anyone's interested...
  • Turkey 24.96
    England 25.27
    Wales 25.65
    Ukraine 26.4
    Spain 26.51
    Switzerland 27.01
    Poland 27.08
    Netherlands 27.3
    Scotland 27.34
    Czechia 27.41
    Germany 27.57
    North Macedonia 27.64