The Euro 2020 Thread

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Truk_Kurt

Re: The Euro 2020 Thread

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Yeah, the Czechs and Denmark are both my new dark horses.
Seph

Post by Seph »

Truk_Kurt wrote: June 28th, 2021, 9:34 am Yeah, the Czechs and Denmark are both my new dark horses.
The fact that one of those teams will at least make the semis is great to see. I can't call a winner from their upcoming game and the Belgium/Italy one. This is why I always follow football more when it's international tournaments, as it's more unpredictable.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Croatia vs Spain has been a brilliant match! This second round has really stepped up a gear for excitement, incredible stuff!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Wow wow wow! What a breathtaking couple of games! Delighted for the swiss as overall I feel they deserved it. What an exciting tournament this has turned out to be. I always feel like the euros are more predictable than the World Cup but this one is proving that theory absolutely wrong!

It also means more Sangria and Lindt chocolate.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Insane. Cracking pair of games.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

It was a great day for my TV aerial and ITV hub stream to stop working :(
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Agh for fuck sake, I've got a virtual court hearing at 5pm today I forgot about. Going to have to pause the game and hope I don't hear anything from next door :(
T-BirD

Post by T-BirD »

Congratulations England! Good luck going forward.

No goals allowed all tournament so far is impressive too.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

It might not have been swashbuckling but I don't think I have seen such a controlled performance from an England side against a international heavy weight in my whole life. Really Germany only had the Muller chance which was clear cut.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Glad we won, and the play style is clearly working, but damn it's frustrating watching England consistently get just outside the penalty area before gradually passing all the way back to Pickford.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I can’t stand watching the Italian team. They are like Jekyll and Hyde. Absolutely brilliant at football but terrible sportsman. Resorting to rolling around on the floor, feigning serious injury, pretending they have been fouled etc. It’s not gamesmanship, it’s cheating.

Funnily enough this reminds me of a family holiday when I was ten at a Greek hotel. Our hotel was playing against the sister hotel next door in a 7 a side. I scored a goal and in the build up to the goal a grown man of 30+ threw himself to the floor when I ran past him with the ball. He rolled around for ages and my goal was disallowed because I had fouled him ( I didn’t even touch him and I was also ten). Once disallowed he jumped up smiling and patted me on the head saying I would learn. I wished I had kicked him in the balls. Watching the Italians reminds me of this.

Edit:
apologies for lowering the tone. Football makes me cross especially when there’s foul play.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Tale as old as time with Italy.
Seph

Post by Seph »

I agree that Italy need to tone down the bullshit, as they're probably the best team in the world at this point and really don't need it. I can't remember who it was, but one of the players was thrashing around in the box just before the first goal, only to leap up immediately after it went in. They really need to start punishing this shit more, it's the only way they'll learn.

That Italy/Belgium match really had a "final" feel to it, as both teams really went for it and it was a great game to watch as a neutral. It's a shame to lose such a fun team though. Can anyone topple Italy at this point?

Spain had a tough time scraping through too. Not to downplay the teams on the other side of the draw, but England are lucky to not go up against any of these teams in the knockout stages.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

That was the most relaxed, enjoyable England knock out game I've ever seen. They managed the game superbly well. Great to see that we've still got the set pieces in the back pocket, as well.

Yes, we could be more expansive and attack with more freedom and so on but there's a solidity, calmness and focus that I haven't seen from England in my forty years.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

😁
Seph

Post by Seph »

Well that was a statement. The first half had a few tense moments when it felt like England were just going to sit back, but that second half was basically over after a minute.

I've been critical of England at times during this tournament because it felt like they were stuck in second gear, but this is the team I wanted to see. Not only winning, but doing it well and actually looking like world beaters. Kane is alive (Undertaker) and I'm happy to be proven wrong. More of that in the next game please; though the story of Denmark going all the way would be great too.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I really enjoyed that game, and seeing England beat anyone 4-0 is a treat, let alone in the quarter finals of major tournament.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

It was certainly the best England performance I can remember seeing in my lifetime, maybe England 5-1 Germany but that wasn’t in a major tournament, so the best I’ve seen in a major tournament. You can really see them growing into the tournament now and their confidence increasing.

Interesting stat, all the teams in the semi finals played all their group games at home.
Seph

Post by Seph »

Great game last night. Once again Italy were made to pay their keep in this tournament, but I can't think many would have bet against them before that game. They always find a way of sneaking through these things.

I'm happy they got through for two reasons. Firstly, Chiellini hangs around for one more game. He's entertaining and I love his enthusiasm. Secondly, that moustachioed, hipster looking bloke Italy have on their coaching team (don't know his name,). He looks like he should be in Sparks or something - I mark out every time I see him.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Apparently that guy played for Italy years ago and made 14 caps for them. He played in the Ireland v Italy game of USA 94.

I do feel sorry for Morata, he got an important goal in the last game and then got Spain back in the game last night, which was great after the criticism and abuse his family got on social media after the first couple of games. But then he went and missed his penalty, I really thought he was going to miss from his body language.